Aera Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 2, 2019

3.4
Christina Sistrunk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance, several training opportunities and good compensation packages" (in 10 reviews)

• "Decent pay and benefits for Bakersfield" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "As an oil company, Aera is at the mercy of California's hostal regulatory environment" (in 3 reviews)

• "Not to mention they are in a horrible area with backwards ideals - Bakersfield, CA" (in 11 reviews)

1. "Awesome company"

I have been working at Aera Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Inclusive, Innovative, and Forward Thinking

Cons

Politically challenging environment in California for energy companies

Advice to Management

Pair older, seasoned employees with younger, less experienced employees would benefit both ends of the spectrum

"One of the best employers in the state"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Aera Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best employers in the state, definitely the employer of choice for California, strong benefits program, strong core values and people who want to do what’s right for the world. New purpose and vision that matters. People who believe in what they do every day.

Cons

Entitled employees due to years of being coddled. New generation much more likely to complain about luxuries because they have never worked anywhere else. Lots of challenge with public perception of oil and gas even though the public (and our state) needs us.

Advice to Management

Help to create more flexibility. Don’t take the negative employees too seriously (it’s a small few). Don’t be disappointed when they exit for ‘greener pastures’. Please keep working to make us more competitive and sustainable. Our future generation needs us. The changes we are experiencing are in all of our best interests - the company, our community and all of us - even if it’s different than before. It will help to ensure we continue to be influential and a positive influence for the state of California.

3. "Ok company"

Current Employee - Environmental Engineer
    Current Employee - Environmental Engineer

I have been working at Aera Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and bonus

Cons

little to no leadership. No clear pathway set for advancement.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Candidate in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Aera Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None - I was offered a job and then it was rescinded for horrible practices and lack of support for new hires.

Cons

This review is about pre employment.

Be prepared to take a urine and hair drug test when applying for Aera Energy. If you do not have hair, then they will not let you join the company.

This is a true story. I applied, was immediately offered an office job, told I had to complete a hair and urine drug test and when I got to the drug screen location they would not test me because I did not have enough hair.

Aera is willing to lose good candidates just because they don't have hair for whatever reason.

Not only does this represent their misaligned practices, but they expect you to offer every W2 and 1099 for every job you have ever had and will deny you the job if you cannot produce that as well. As one of my veteran coworkers put it, "their preemployment guidelines are more strict than the military".

To put it frank - employment relationship should start with trust, and Aera is not one to trust you if you fall into barriers during their preemployment practices.

Not to mention they are in a horrible area with backwards ideals - Bakersfield, CA.

Advice to Management

Change your practices and be more aligned with the people in your department. Good talent will only produce good results if they can work together and actually talk. They should not be monopolized by one manager who thinks he knows everything and does not build a culture that allows you to speak up and share/use your good ideas. I didn't even get a chance to join and felt the toxicity at the lunch table and in meetings. Glad to be moving onto better things with a more friendly and open environment.

Aera Energy Response

Mar 7, 2019 – SVP Human Resources

We are truly sorry to hear you did not have a positive experience with Aera during the pre-employment process. We wish you the very best with your job search and career.

As an operator within the... More

"It’s not what it used to be"

I have been working at Aera Energy full-time

Pros

The Benefits are decent and comparable to other companies in the same field and pay for entry level operations positions is good. The hourly employees in operations are a good group of people who always find a way to deliver dispite challenges from internal and external pressures alike.

Cons

New high level leadership VP and up are very disconnected from reality of the business and make decisions that are not practical at ground level. It sounds great in theory but makes no sense in practum. Supvisors on up will preach the safety message but when production is at risk the companies true value of safety is revealed by the actions of leadership. Just ask the employee who spent time in the burn center after management told him to bypass safety procedures and his plan to do the work safely for no other reason than to save time and money.
    You will rarely find an EHS professional here that care about an individuals safety more than protecting the company. Field reps are quick to turn a blind eye to safety hazards and unsafe conditions in time sensitive or high priority work. This again is a direct result of management pressure to minimize production loss. The Core EHS group is the worst offender of Protect the company before the employees. I understand there is a balance but their scale is surely lopsided. Policies that come down are rarely collaborative with operators and though they claim to get workers input through HOST, the final product is so watered down it does not represent that groups true solutions.

Advice to Management

Change is good no one is arguing that. However when you change the things that made this place special it just becomes a job. Aera used to care about us and made us feel no matter our title we had a voice and our ideas mattered. Make us feel important and a valuable asset again.

Aera Energy Response

Jan 23, 2019 – Public Affairs Specialist

First, thank you for voicing your concern and providing this feedback. Your comments are very serious to us, and we want you to know that your experience of Aera does not align with our values or the... More

6. "Great company with excellent opportunities and pay, work-life balance, etc... but stuck in oil-hating CA"

Former Employee - Facilities Engineer in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Facilities Engineer in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Aera Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Casual work environment
    Input accepted from all employees
    Pay
    Benefits
    Vacation (4 weeks to start)
    9/80 schedule
    Great asset base and variety of roles available
    Very little daily stress

Cons

Stuck in CA
    Mainly heavy oil thermal recovery, limits technical opportunities
    Very few opportunities for certain disciplines (i.e. Facilities engineers have a very narrow career path)
    Not able to take risks on acquiring property due to parent company JV structure (Shell/Exxon)
    Basically converting remaining reserves to cash while fighting the state government at every turn to remain in existence
    Largest stressor comes from knowing how hard CA gov is trying to kill the industry

Advice to Management

Turn survival into a challenge with big rewards for breakthroughs technically, financially, politically, and with PR.

7. "Spouse"

Former Employee - Spouse in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Spouse in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Aera Energy (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benifits. No worries of being transferred.

Cons

People coming into organization expect too much.

Advice to Management

Screen employees carefully

"No Surprises"

Current Employee - Senior Facilities Engineer in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Facilities Engineer in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Aera Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Aera is the perfect blend of a small company feel with large corporation benefits and programs. The work environment is friendly and generally respectful, depending on the job you are in. Lean, production minded focus. There are many positions in this flat organization for those seeking a broad set of responsibilities. The field locations are dynamic with centralized facilities and a closed loop design. This creates a wonderful opportunity for any engineer to experience every aspect of heavy and light oil production, including gathering systems, dehydration and water treatment, steam generation, and energy systems. Field management teams are second to none the best in the industry.

Cons

Advancement opportunities are few. Very unclear career path development and little communication where you stand. Very much a "who you know" advancement structure. Decision making is very top down. Every manager is given the authority to run their group independently. This results in faster decision making but also inconsistency across the organization, as the opinion and whims of single individuals often trump the combined recommendations of evaluation teams. There also exists a persistent power struggle between the central and field teams

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of internal job postings! Some people actually enjoy having a chance to set their own career path.

"Highly effective HS staff, committed leadership team, skilled and engaged operator"

Current Employee - EHS Lead in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - EHS Lead in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Aera Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits: 401k match is above average, 4 weeks vacation to start, 9/80 schedule is hard to beat, insurance employee contribution is lower than most.

Cons

Aera has a flat organizational structure with fewer opportunities to advance. It is a California based company operating in the with the most stringent regulatory environment.

"Career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Aera Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They care about people and their well being.

Cons

They don't care about your career. You are either the chosen one who will climb the ladder to success or you take your own career in your hands and go else where or you stay if idling or stagnant is your thing.

Advice to Management

Not worth giving. It will just fall on deaf ears.