AeroVironment Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
AeroVironment CEO & President Wahid Nawabi
Wahid Nawabi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Challenging work, autonomy and very supportive of work / life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Working with great people with knowledge and experience (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Top heavy, have more managers, directors and VP then production workers (in 9 reviews)

• Upper Management has no idea how to run a business (in 8 reviews)

1. "A very exciting and rewarding place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Simi Valley, CA

I have been working at AeroVironment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talented, competent and creative co-workers. Relaxed, causal and unpretentious workplace. Great projects. In the relatively short time I have worked here, I have had the opportunity to be part of two new programs from inception through successful flight tests. Little to no red tape in getting things done.

Cons

Like any aerospace company, the future is always uncertain; but, so far there has been no shortage of work. The company culture seems to expect more than 40 hours of work out of employees as do many other companies.

Advice to Management

Continue working to make this a great place to work. Strive to find larger programs to solidify the future.

Oct 5, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and providing a thoughtful, constructive review. We are pleased to hear you’re enjoying your experience at AeroVironment and a few of our great... More

2. "Monrovia Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Monrovia, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Monrovia, CA

I have been working at AeroVironment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is so exciting to work for an amazing company that is truly headed in the right direction. A rewarding place to work. I am proud of what AV has accomplished and optimistic of where AV is going.

Cons

Like all companies, AV has challenges. I am pleased at the way AV tries to address and solve challenges that arise.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work by investing in employees and trying hard to make AV a great place to work.

Sep 28, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review. We appreciate hearing about your personal experience of over 10 years! Since being “A Great Place to Work” is one of our core values, our... More

3. "Great place to thrive using your strengths"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Simi Valley, CA

I have been working at AeroVironment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company size. Mix of long term and newer employees. Interesting market position.
    Good compensation. Good collection of talent across the departments. Opportunity to learn from experienced, well informed coworkers.
    The products are cool and the potential for tangential product development drives true innovation.

Cons

Due to company size, key contributors that leave causes disruption, especially in non-core biz areas. Shifting priorities can upset the more methodical minds.

Advice to Management

Close any gaps, perceived or real, between employees and executives. It isn't that big of a company that executives should be so disconnected from the employee base.

Sep 26, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review. We are glad to learn that you are enjoying your time at AeroVironment working with your talented co-workers on cool and innovative... More

4. "Has some growing pains but is overall a good place to work"

I have been working at AeroVironment full-time

Pros

Great benefits and fair pay

Cons

The culture can be a bit abrasive at times but it's being worked on

Advice to Management

Make the company friendlier to women.

Oct 13, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We greatly value your input and are glad you are enjoying some of AeroVironment's perks: great benefits and compensation. We are disappointed that you have experienced... More

5. "a GREAT place to work"

I have been working at AeroVironment full-time

Pros

I get to work on a lot of different projects that are interesting, challenging, and just plain "cool". It can be fast paced, but that is great for me. My building seems to be staffed entirely by very smart people. Most companies have "that one guy with a bad attitude", but there is nobody like that here. Best place I've ever worked.

Cons

I've only been here a couple months but so far nothing, except that I should have applied here years ago.

Sep 25, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and are glad to learn that you are enjoying a few of AeroVironment’s perks: opportunity to... More

6. "Proud to Work at AV"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Simi Valley, CA

I have been working at AeroVironment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was recently hired (less than a year ago), but so far I am really enjoying working at AV. As other reviews highlight, the people are one of the best parts (encouraging, intelligent, take pride in their work). Excellent benefits. Challenging, exciting work. Participant in corporate games. Employees gather after work for recreational sports teams, including soccer, softball, and bowling.

Cons

This is by far the best company I have worked for. If I think of any cons, I will update my rating so that management can address.

Advice to Management

Keep offering great benefits. Continue to make your people and positive work environment a priority.

Sep 21, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review. We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and are glad to learn that you are enjoying a few of AeroVironment’s perks... More

7. "Engineering"

Current Employee - Engineer in Simi, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Simi, CA

I have been working at AeroVironment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AV is a great place to work. If your work ethic is strong AV will give the chance to work independently to get tasks accomplished. Great team oriented company with many challenges. I highly recommend AV to those starting a new career. Your experience at AV will instill talents and processes you will carry throughout your career. I have worked here at AV for three years and is by far the best company I have worked for spanning a 25+ year Engineering career. Highly recommend.

Cons

In comparison, AV has no real cons when compared to other companies. Great work environment, best benefits I have had in years. It's important to want to go to work every day. That in it's self says allot about AV.

Advice to Management

Stay focused.

Sep 21, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate hearing about your experience thus far at AeroVironment. We are glad you are enjoying a few of AeroVironment’s perks: challenging... More

8. "Not as good as it once was"

I worked at AeroVironment full-time

Pros

Very innovative company that was at the cutting edge of technology (electric vehicle charging, UAS drone products)

Cons

Take a look at their annual sales for both divisions (UAS and EES). 90% of revenue comes from UAS division. EES division is stagnant and sales has declined for the past 3+years.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees who have been there 5+ years during the high point for EES and UAS and pay attention to the ISSUES they bring up.

Hold all Director level and higher personnel accountable.

9. "Most talented engineers I have ever had a pleasure to work with."

Current Employee - Manager in Simi Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Simi Valley, CA

I have been working at AeroVironment full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great work environment. Amazing "can do" attitude. Fast, purposefull days, filled with challenge working with great engineers with great attitudes. New management, starting from top, is doing a great job of making this place an even better place to work at.

Cons

Don't come here if you want to coast. Fast paced environment.

Advice to Management

Keep empowering people as you have been with the new management.

Sep 7, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate your thoughtful review. We are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience at AeroVironment. If you have any further feedback to... More

10. "Awesome place to work"

Former Employee - Training Analyst in Simi Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Training Analyst in Simi Valley, CA

I worked at AeroVironment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Innovation, creativity and flexibility are the norm within Aerovironment. Fantastic people and deep formations of business relationships are seen routinely at AV. Stock vesting, 401K and other benefits are very generous. Recent improvements in onboarding, online learning and HR/HCM via Taleo integration is helping provide top notch employee benefits and professional developments with AV.

Cons

Some positions, especially in the support roles lack career path at AV, but this is not uncommon in other companies and industries. Job title changes or promotion to similar role with greater responsibilities and compensation would solve this.

Advice to Management

Keep up the initiatives of all hands meetings informing employees of company growth, product expansion and financial prospectuses and quarterly/annual earnings.

Sep 1, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate your thoughtful, constructive review and are happy to hear you enjoyed your experience at AeroVironment. Thank you for your career... More