Aerohive Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 7, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Flynn

Pros
  • Great people, business is doing well in selective areas (in 6 reviews)

• Flexible work arrangement, freedom to work on and propose projects (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • All good people are leaving because they have options (in 3 reviews)

• No 401k matching is a big turn off (in 3 reviews)

1. "Good company with solid product, weighed down by the past"

I worked at Aerohive Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, business is doing well in selective areas

Cons

Too much dependence on the Education space.

Engineering tries to run business, this does not work.

Advice to Management

Have Engineering focus on building products; let the PLM team handle the product definition.

Also, really need to diversify the customer base.

2. "Stock Stuck"

Former Employee - Marketing in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Aerohive Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relevant technology, fast growth through 2015, good position to offer an alternative to BIG Cisco and HP solutions

Cons

Stock is 50% below IPO for several years now, does this help or hurt their position to be bought by Dell?

"Great People Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Aerohive Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, marketing and brand awareness in the competitive WLAN space. The people are generally great except some of the folks at corporate.

Cons

The cloud management software is terrible. Its missing features, its slow, and the general concept of trying to do everything in the cloud is a bit of a gimmick. If the cloud goes down then you cant manage the network. Also there are problems with updates and there are many interface and GUI aesthetic issues.

Advice to Management

Invest in better software engineers and focus on the user interface of Hivemanager NG. Stop pushing for everything to be in the cloud and focus on reliability and feature set.

"Directionless and petty"

Former Employee - Manager in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Milpitas, CA

I worked at Aerohive Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours, not much expected of you, stocked break room. There are some really nice people there. Ping pong table.

Cons

E team nit picks minor features while the stock is in free fall. The core product has the worst code base I have ever seen with no organizational appetite to do anything about it. They were a hardware company who tried to deal with market consolidation and commoditization by shifting to providing a software platform but they did it so poorly to start there was no saving it so they've ceased anything relayed to technical innovation and suddenly laid off anyone they hired to drive the platform. Including their best developer whose wife recently had a premature delivery landing both her and the baby in the icu. He was in the hospital parking lot working through his cell phone connection when they called him to tell him he was cut. Classy move, guys.

Advice to Management

Just sell the company like you're obviously planning to do.

5. "Happy to work here"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at Aerohive Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talented people who are nice to work with
    Interesting and relevant technology
    MBO program, employees are encouraged to grow their skills
    Decent pay and benefits
    Company gym
    Unlimited PTO

Great hiring policies--One of the mottos here is that "Aerohive does not hire jerks." I also like that the company takes chances on people, hiring not just based on what you currently offer, but also with an eye on what you can become.

Job flexibility--Some people have commented that management is weak and employees don't work hard, which is not true for all managers and employees. If you are a self-motivated individual, you have the flexibility to be creative in your job and explore more possibilities than you might at other companies. If you prefer a lot of direction, this flexibility could be interpreted as a lack of direction. If this is a concern, talk to your prospective manager during the job interview.

Central location in Milpitas--Some people complained about the former location in Sunnyvale, where employees occupied 3 separate buildings. This is no longer the case. For me, the commute to Milpitas is much better than the commute to Sunnyvale.

Responsive Management--After reading many of the previous reviews, I can see that management has responded to many of the issues raised. Aerohive is experiencing growing pains, but after 35+ years in the industry, these seem on par with what I've experienced at other companies.

Cons

No 401K matching
    The company is not yet profitable, which is the reason for no 401K matching. We were real close in Q2!
    Management direction is a bit thin in some areas, which can be rough for people who prefer more structure and direction. For those who can step up and make their own direction, this is an opportunity.

Advice to Management

Try to identify those who are self-motivated and those who need more direction, and implement programs to support both. More direction at onboarding could help self-motivated people get up to speed faster.

"Struggling to make an impact"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Aerohive Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great folks all around , some of the most friendly people you will come across. Flexible work hours

Cons

Wireless is a crowded space and the company has had execution problems for couple of years now which is causing it to become more irrelevant as days go by. Plagued by Poor vision, lack of motivation among employees and a management team that seems disconnected from reality

"Software engineer at"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Aerohive Networks full-time

Pros

Laid back work environment. Good co-workers and some interesting problems.

Cons

Company has no real direction for the future. Engineering organization is a disaster. Architectural decisions are made before problems have been fleshed out. HQ and Chinese engineers fail to communicate every single day. Product management is focused on what other companies are doing, have no understanding of Aerohive products, and do not participate in the engineering process. Most requirements are driven by sales for single customers.

Advice to Management

Cut out China. They cost the company more than they are worth. Also, go private and find someone with an actual vision for Aerohive products.

8. "Challenging but rewarding!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Technical Training in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Technical Training in Milpitas, CA

Pros

* feel like I'm always the dumbest in the group yet I'm well received.
    * work provides daily challenges that drive me forward
    * great working atmosphere
    * great working environment
    * a healthy, diverse group

Cons

Traffic in the valley is a struggle if you have to commute from afar (nothing really directly related to the company).

Advice to Management

Keep in on.

"Potential exists but there are significant internal challenges..."

I worked at Aerohive Networks full-time

Pros

Good technology and good people in a good market. A rising tide lifts all boats and Aerohive can beat the market with the right people. Good financials means it can ride out the rough times.

Cons

Recent layoffs/reduction in staff is a negative. Good technology but consistently failing to deliver and execute. Just means the competition is moving farther ahead but market is still ripe for disruption for the right team, if they can execute. Lots of internal strife between organizations, which creates a very caustic environment. Heroic efforts are expected, which translates into little recognition by mgmt.

Advice to Management

What and who made the company successful when it was small is rarely the same skills needed to get you to 250M and beyond. Please take a hard look at past leaders and see if they can get you to 500M.

"Dynamic, Deliberate & Daring"

Current Employee - Engaged Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Engaged Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Aerohive Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've finally made it to my 1st year anniversary at the Hive and all the promising aspects of the company has not disappointed me. When I interviewed 12 months ago, I was told by one of the interviewers that this is NOT a political company. I was also told that the leadership team is transparent, fair and approachable. I was also told you can get work done.

I've experienced all that and more. As you read this, you'll also come across a number of not so "glowing" "warm" postings, but my point to you as you consider Aerohive as a future home is to know that it's always easier to voice frustration when you're angry or things aren't going your way as it is to let others know how happy and contented you are.

See for yourself what Aerohive is like based on an open mind and the fact there is no such thing as a perfect company as much as there is no such thing as a perfect employee!

Cons

Aerohive has gone through growing pains like every other hi-tech company in Silicon Valley but the biggest difference is that they take a chance, innovate and keep pushing forward.

People like each other and have fun. Each department cares for their team in a unique and distinct way ranging from Engineering to Accounting to HR and our Customer Support groups.

What weaves us together is the sense of accomplishment and the sweet taste of delivering great products our customers love and use!

Advice to Management

Continue to listen and be open to your employees.

Dave's Buzz (weekly business snapshot from our CEO) is brilliant! It's made a great impact among the employee base to know what's going on and what we can further improve on to remain the #1 Wi-Fi provider in the world!