Aerotech Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Mark A. Botos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Employee centric growing company with great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Aerotech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since working here I have seen the company grow exponentially - and they are constantly hiring. They are continuously investing in their personnel and processes and are always willing to listen to to ideas on improvement.
    I have seen that management recognizes and rewards their employees and that they invest in their employees and as a result are able to retain them. They do this through a combination of competitive compensation packages, employee stock options, excellent healthcare and the little extra thank you's - like donuts for everyone to celebrate a great month! They want you to succeed and will give you all the tools necessary to make that happen.
    As a result, Aerotech seems to attract great people - and it is very easy to make friends and connections - which in turn enhances your work day and makes you a happier and better employee.

Cons

The company is growing very fast and as a result everyone is very busy with a lot of individuals working in silos. I think it is important to have more frequent (monthly?) meetings to get departments to feel more like a team - and to open the lines of communication to aid collaboration.

2. "No Reasons to Leave, Lots of Reasons to Stay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Aerotech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best reasons to work at Aerotech is the people. I genuinely enjoy most of the people I work with from top to bottom. To focus on more traditional measurements of a job, I will point to Aerotech's loyalty. They really stress that the workforce is a family, and they try to treat you like such. They'll stick by you through a lot, and turnover is extremely low because of it. The vast majority of workers choose to spend their entire careers here, and there's good reason. They give stock ownership and profit sharing with every employee top to bottom, and that compensation package grows with time to where every single worker is well taken care of into retirement. This also makes everyone feel invested. Everybody cares at Aerotech, because we're all owners. That's refreshing, and it makes me happy to come to work and interact with all the other owners here.

One more thing, they allow you to roll-over vacation days that you don't use into the next year. They don't run-out!

Cons

Like any company, particularly those that are growing like Aerotech, work can get stressful. For most of my time here, our nose has been to the grindstone because of how successful we've been. There's rarely any slow or downtime. This could be seen as a positive or a negative, but there's no place to hide at Aerotech. If you're looking for a job where you can sit in a corner and not get noticed while collecting a paycheck, this is not the place. It's busy and still small enough that you're going to be involved and do work, regardless of the department.

Advice to Management

Just continue to acknowledge the loyalty and dedication your workers give you by giving it back to them.

3. "Growing Manufacturing Company/Talented Employees"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Aerotech full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best reasons to work at Aerotech are the pay, benefits (ESOT, profit sharing, tuition reimbursement, annual pay raises, medical, dental, vision, etc.), and quality people that are your coworkers. The company has grown into a world-renowned manufacturer of motion control components and systems and we compete successfully with corporations many times larger. We are able to successfully compete because of the skills and drive of the people that join the organization, as well as Aerotech's commitment to advancing the knowledge and careers of talented employees.

Cons

Route 28 can be difficult to navigate, especially when it is under construction. Hopefully the major construction is done for the foreseeable future.

Advice to Management

Remember to keep the lines of communication open, especially for employees working on different shifts or in different locations. It's important to hear the thoughts of those on the "front lines."

4. "Growing Company with Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Aerotech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very employee oriented company. OT eligible employees get vacation and holiday hours counted toward hours worked for OT purposes. Competitive pay - reviewed regularly with market increases. Profit Sharing bonuses are very nice. Company ESOT is great for long-term employees. Open door leadership; management seems to care about employees and their growth. Company continues to grow and evolve. The company is very transparent in reporting sales and revenues with employees - CEO gives quarterly updates to all employees. Lots of great employee initiatives like free food (for sales and shipping milestones), fritters and donuts for the New Year, and food truck events.

Cons

Could be a little more flexible with scheduling and work-from-home options. Traffic on 28 can be challenging but not much the company can do about that.

Advice to Management

Consider changing annual profit sharing bonus to a quarterly type program. The digital signage has increased communication within the organization - keep up the good work!

5. "Insurance verification"

Former Employee - Benefit Verification Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Benefit Verification Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Aerotech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good money. Professional office.

Cons

Project was done and we all just left so abruptly.

Aerotech Response

Jul 11, 2017 – Corporate Marketing Administration Manager

Aerotech does not hire Benefit Verification Specialists. We are a manufacturing company, located in Pittsburgh, PA. We do not have temporary positions and are not a staffing firm.

6. "Inventory control specialist"

I worked at Aerotech full-time

Pros

Friendly people, good job placement.

Cons

Would like direct to hire position, within a reasonable time frame.

"Frustrating work environment for young people"

I worked at Aerotech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The atmosphere is pretty laid back, and the people are great. There are a lot of talented people in every department, and almost everyone is easy to work with. The retirement package is pretty good.

Cons

Aerotech is a decent company, but the opportunities for career advancement aren't great. In my experience, they do a poor job of recognizing and rewarding employees. This seems to be the case in most departments, and is reflected in the high turnover rate.

The corporate policies are stringent and designed to reward employees that have been there for many years. Vacation is pretty terrible for the first 5 years. Wage increases and career advancement opportunities are based mostly on years of service. Performance is almost meaningless (unless you mess up significantly). Hard work is welcomed and encouraged, but not rewarded very well.

The company is very conventional and maintains a strict hierarchy. The top-down management style is very discouraging and leaves little room for creativity or innovation.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible and open minded. Appreciate and reward the employees that enable your success.

"customer service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Friendly people, good hours, decent location.

Cons

Such a man's company. They don't believe in sick time, if you're sick then they frown upon it. Horrible pay, some managers are lousy. I worked there for 4 years, tried to move up and got shut down because I didn't have a degree. But did the same thing as the new person he hired for the position I wanted. I even trained the new person. They didn't have a family room for nursing mothers.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone with respect. Promote people who deserve it. Give more time off for holidays, we have families and lives outside of work!! Higher women in all areas, even in field sales!!!

"Founded in the 70's, still functioning like it's the 70's"

Former Employee - Administration in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Administration in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Aerotech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary was fair and competitive.

Cons

Retirement benefits non-existent. The company does not match anything into your 401k. They do an employee stock ownership program. It is impossible to know how this is calculated or will be accumulated. It really only starts accumulating after many many years with the company. A matching 401k would be much more beneficial. There is only one health plan and is very costly. I believe the biggest issue with the company is it's lack of work-life balance. With the exception of night turn, everyone in the company works from 8-5. There is no option of flex time. Also the whole company has to take lunch at noon. Everyone! Admin staff, engineers, management. I have never seen anything like it where you aren't allowed to take your lunch at 1 if you are busy. The whole company stops what they are doing and runs out of the parking lot. I know of a lot of employees who are chastised for having to pick up kids from daycare in the middle of the day or need to leave before 5. They are just not flexible in any way. They have 350 employees and do not provide a wellness room or nursing room for working mothers. They seem to have very little trust in their employees that they can get their work done and have a family life outside of the company. Many employees have felt the need to look for other employment where they are not put down for having a family.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees enough to provide an option for telecommuting or at a very minimum flex time hours. Understand there needs to be a work-life balance.

"Solid, well-run company with great people at all levels"

I have been working at Aerotech full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Aerotech is a solid, well-managed company that focuses both on doing the right things and doing things right. They hire and develop top-notch talent in order to make the best products in the industry.

The company is small enough that there are opportunities get to know people in lots of other departments, and management is close enough to every level from C-suite to production floor that they listen to and respond to issues at all levels.

The benefits are good and the culture is very much engineering and technically focused.

Cons

The company is small enough that there are not always obvious opportunities for advancement within a given department, so progression in a career can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Some modern benefits like flextime, on-site recreational or child care facilities or other conveniences would be really nice additions.