Aetna Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Aetna Chairman, President, and CEO Mark T. Bertolini
Mark T. Bertolini

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance needs to improve (in 73 reviews)

• Terrible health insurance (not even taking into consideration (I WORKED FOR A (in 60 reviews)

"So very glad I am gone and never looking back."

Former Employee - Medicare Customer Service in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Medicare Customer Service in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Aetna full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Its indoors. The have desks. And lights. And functional bathrooms usually.

Cons

Where do I start ? Attendence policy is utter irrational. If you have a family or sick child or are sick yourself plan on putting their needs behind Aetna's. One had to be taken to hospital in ambulance and had to stay overnight. Got an attendence occurrence for my troubles. Classy. They talk a good game about caring for employees but don't mean it. Also VERY political. If you don't kiss up you won't succeed here. And they'll hire less qualified minority candidates for promotion because it looks good. RUN away from this job as fast as you can.

Advice to Management

This job isnt your employees lives. Remember all that stuff on the "value wheel" ? Maybe you should actually PRACTICE it. And promote the most qualified not the quota candidate

"Staffing Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I worked at Aetna (More than 10 years)

Pros

there are none pros to this organization

Cons

Culture is negative; all about the money and not the employees. The managers are two faced back stabbers; can't trust them. They don't care about their employees. Stay far away from this hot mess.

Advice to Management

Care more about how you treat people. A little respect goes a long way

"Precert Nurse"

Current Employee - Nurse in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Nurse in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Aetna full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work at home (which we are being told is being stopped)

Cons

Unbelievable amounts of work. Basically Slavery. This company"s managers are shady. The management lies and slowly finds ways to push people out of there jobs. Managers are clickish. If you do great work or they try to sabotage and undermine great workers. False reviews. Low Bonus, Salary is kept low. Bullying of workers. Rude frequent comments to workers. Staff is blamed for everything while "the favorites" are selected for special projects. Job is ok but training is not sufficient. The incompetent management and blame shifting is unbelievable! The company is greedy and do not care about the employee, the sponsors (customers) and members. The Sponsors request STATESIDE workers and Aetna Gets Around those requests and give the work to overseas workers. Many American nurses lost their jobs here and the jobs were given to OVERSEAS workers. Little to no opportunity for LPNs although many are 'grandfathered' into now RN positions.

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism and constant Spanish chatter in office. It is not professional.

"Sr Informatics Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Aetna full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you don't report to a good manager, there are none, except that salaries and benefits are competitive.

Cons

No management support; no work-life balance; bully managers have free reign with no restraints; upper management doesn't care about their employees at all. Bottom line isn't as important as politics (individual managers' selfish need for power, their agenda and position at any cost).

Advice to Management

Put the company values in action so they're not empty statements. Don't be complicit with bullying managers! Value experience instead of forcing older employees out due to age. After layoffs it's noticed the most knowledgeable, experienced employees are gone (if they aren't forced out first). Lucky for management there are few laws to protect employees because some managers are extremely unethical and abusive, and are walking a very fine line.

"IT Program and Project Managers - avoid working here"

Former Employee - IT Program Manager in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - IT Program Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at Aetna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is on par with industry standard.
    Flexible with work at home options
    Mark Bertolini is truly an inspiring leader - doesn't trickle to the IT Program Delivery department

Cons

No on boarding for new employees - this was a disaster with the Coventry integration.

The Aetna project management methodology is massive in the amount of deliverables and processes , but they eliminated the majority of coaches so you are on your own to figure it out.

Directors are not leaders nor are they emotionally intelligent. They are rewarded for delivering , but no incentive to mentor or inspire their teams. PM's are just bodies to be placed with no regard for career aspirations. Those discussions do not happen

There are some particularly unpleasant people in leadership positions - and bullying is rampant. HR is outsourced and it's not an option as I've heard of retaliation from those that did go that route

The anonymous employee survey that should root out problem areas has the fatal flaw of being tied to the all employees scorecard. So if you are actually honest - your bonus is impacted. I don't know if this is part of why Bertolini has allowed the same IT leaders to remain and just demoralize the organization or perhaps IT is just simply not valued

Advice to Management

Provide a way for IT Program Delivery employees to provide honest feedback on the directors and leaders and actually take action.
    Staff with true leaders that look at more than just delivering. Imagine what the organization can do with inspiration instead of being demoralized

You are so concerned about attracting new talent but once new talent is there they realize how poor their leadership is. Start at the top - you've had the same leadership there for so many years and it's not working

"Run, don't walk away"

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Aetna full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salary. Bonuses are iffy. LTI are now gone. I really can't think of any other positives and GD requires 20 words on here

Cons

Zero work/life balance in government services. The expectation is that company comes before all. They just took away director level Long Term Incentives while the balance sheet shows top levels getting rich. 4 jobs for every one person. If you like working at 2 am, this is the place for you.....

Advice to Management

You are either clueless as to what goes on below you - or you simply don't care

"Terrible Company, Terrible Leadership and Human Resources"

Current Employee - Director in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Aetna full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None, their are no pros to working here.

Cons

They randomly reduce compensation. I just got a 20% reduction in income.
    HR and Senior leaders talk about transparency but don't practice what they preach.
    Constantly look at ways to save money via take aways from employees.

Advice to Management

Mark Bertolini and his executive team and all managers with LTI should have it taken away not just lower level managers who actually do work. I was told the reason for this was because of the upcoming merger. So hard working managers have to be the financial sacrificial lambs. I would also let the Senior Managers now I was eligible for the early retirement program that was recently offered and one of the factors in deciding about erp was based on my LTI. Since this was being taken away and Senior Management knew this was going to happen when we were making decisions about erp they should have been transparent and communicated this to those of us that would be impacted. I would've taken the erp and gotten another job had I known my compensation was going to be so DRASTICALLY reduced.
    Very unethical.

"Change rules at end of year"

Current Employee - Finance Director in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Finance Director in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Aetna full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nothing anymore. Need to pay for onsite paring, gym, cafe food is high and cannot work from home anymore. Sucks!

Cons

Powers to be took away stock from director levels for this year in November with no formal communication. It was buried in comp guidelines. The equiv Individual contributor role still gets stock. Exec levels still get 135% of pay in stock. They really don't give a crap about mid management. They will be sorry when we all leave!

Advice to Management

Be more transparent to your employees. Your too passive aggressive.

"Enormous, complex, and ineffective"

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Aetna (More than 3 years)

Pros

- some bright, hardworking, and genuine people remaining
    - isolated pockets of interesting ideas and technology if you can connect with them
    - astoundingly progressive stances in some areas, esp. re: LGBT and other social issues

Cons

- seemingly innumerable narrow-minded, ineffective, and unethical individuals in "management" positions
    - decades worth of organizational and cultural bloat has resulted in highly political, toxic, and dehumanizing working conditions for many employees
    - the above has caused and continues to cause many good, passionate, and valuable people to leave the organization

Advice to Management

As an organization, Aetna does not respect its employees or its customers: it has grown significantly self-complacent, deluded, and dysfunctional. The potential for beneficial and long-term change lessens each day as additional layers of bureaucracy, process, and "metrics" are added and do little more than reduce transparency and interfere with people giving and receiving the help they need and deserve.

Acknowledge this, welcome realistic and collaborative feedback on what can be done about it, and be willing to make drastic changes for the ultimate betterment of your employees and customers.

"Aetna is horrible"

Current Employee - Electronic Eligibility Consultant in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Electronic Eligibility Consultant in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

We have some great coworkers but they leave due to mismanagement.

Cons

Bad management, bad pay, acquires companies and fires seasoned Aetna employees or forces early retirement. Work at home is no longer an option since they bought out Coventry. Coventry management has taken over Aetna.

Advice to Management

Allow work at home and be more flexible with you employees. A happy employee equals better performance.

Showing 152 of 1,644 reviews