Aetna Reviews | Glassdoor

Aetna Chairman, President, and CEO Mark T. Bertolini
Mark T. Bertolini

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance needs to improve (in 75 reviews)

• Health benefits are poor especially for a health insurance company (in 64 reviews)

"Not much career advancement opportunities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I worked at Aetna full-time

Pros

6% matching for 401k, decent PTO days, and work-at-home days.

Cons

If you are coming into an entry-level position it's very difficult to advance your career and most likely salary will be on the lowest-side of range.  Annual merit increases will vary on many factors but will be around the inflation rate or marginally better than inflation.  Getting promoted can be difficult, you essentially have to wait your turn because there's very few promotions per year and they have to be approved all the way to VP level.  If you talk to current or past employees most likely you will hear career advancement is number one complaint about the company. Trying to apply internally to open positions could be frustrating because if the job would be considered a promotion you may not be considered. They also rely heavily on offshore developers which in many cases are very entry level and FTE devs have to rewrite their bad code once it fails in production.  It's a big company so not all areas operate like this but this is what to expect in many the IT departments.

2. "Supervisor of customer service"

I have been working at Aetna full-time

Pros

The location is in downtown

Cons

Bad management and they are not understanding

3. "Need to work on culture"

I have been working at Aetna full-time

Pros

There are some very smart and efficient people working for Aetna. Unfortunately if they have a creative mind they don't usually stick around because the "Aetna Way" beats them down until they just give up.

Cons

Too many people doing the job of one. Forces people to work in silos. Very little teamwork especially across departments, people have to literally fight for work.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who make less than 70k a year, they are the ones doing all the work. If they are happy, the whole company is happy.

"It's ok..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Aetna full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I work from home full-time, which is really nice. I have a great manager and great teammates.

Cons

-Low pay. People get especially hosed if their initial salary was on the low end. There's an internal cap (like 10%) on raises for promotions, so we have a lot of people (myself included) making thousands of dollars a year less than the minimum recommended salary for their job codes.

-This year we all got hosed with 1-2% raises, budget cuts, and job eliminations. Meanwhile, our CEO (according to the press, because we are a publicly traded company and executive salaries are public record) made $41 million last year and got 115% of his bonus target.

-Insurance: We have some of the worst insurance I have ever had of anywhere I have ever worked. Deductibles are too high, and if you actually meet the deductible and get to use your benefits, they are pathetic at best. Not to mention the socialist pricing structure where employees who make more money pay more in monthly premiums for the exact same coverage.

Advice to Management

If we are all taking hits, you should be, as well. But don't tell me we all have to take cuts while you all are living large. Consider the optics.

"Anonymous"

I worked at Aetna full-time

Pros

PTO, WAH, benefits okay, but could be better, training so-so

Cons

Political, favoritism, poor communication, no accountability on mgmt

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, communicate and accept accountability - don't always place blame on employees when mgmt did not properly communicate or did something wrong.

"age discrimination"

I have been working at Aetna full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

pto is generous
    some good people
    wellness programs

Cons

since the early retirement offer to employees last fall anyone who declined has a target on them
    do not go to HR if there is an problem they are not there for the employees
    do not apply if your are not a younger person that applies to those applying from outside and to those applying to positions internally

to quote the CEO
    Hartford Courant - 06/22/2017
    In his first public comments since Aetna announced it will move its headquarters out of Hartford, CEO Mark Bertolini says it will leave in search of "younger people, technologists, innovation"

Advice to Management

the year a person was born has little to do with their abilities when it comes to technology and innovation maybe removing the many layers of management and hearing from actual employees would be a better move

7. "Utilization Review Nurse Consultant"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse Case Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse Case Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Aetna full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home, easy to make and keep family obligations (taking kids to school and picking them up)

Cons

strict deadlines, large workload. Not interested in nursing opinion. Want to do the cost effective option....always. Not a patient centered company.

Advice to Management

Listen to the nurses, they have expertise and judgement that is essential to understanding what is needed for the patient.

8. "Claims processor"

I worked at Aetna full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule , benefits,environment

Cons

Pay,management , room for promotions

9. "Favorites"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Aetna as a contractor

Pros

Could be a good company to work for if the management at was better in the ouston location.

Cons

Management sucks because you can't go to higher management because they only side with their supervisors

"Provider Relations Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Aetna full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefit package is great. Hours are good. Wellness programs are awesome.

Cons

New management not very helpful to the department. Alot of favoritism within a department of a smaller group. Not very racially diverse in some departments.

Advice to Management

Immediate Managers should listen to employees input at times. Offer equal job opportunities to all employees within the same department its about teamwork not competirion and favortism. Be fair across the board. Everyone should be trained and cross trained equally to meet the needs of the company's core values, short and long term goals. Make it anot just a "great place" but a better place to work! :) Thats how you retain exceptional employees within all departments.

Showing 274 of 1,812 reviews