Aetna Reviews | Glassdoor

Mark T. Bertolini

1,610 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance needs to improve (in 74 reviews)

• Terrible health insurance (not even taking into consideration (I WORKED FOR A (in 61 reviews)

"Typical Large Corporation"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Job security. Good training. Many internal jobs. Telecommuting encouraged. Little overtime. Comfy chairs. Decent monitors. Fun outside activities. Little covered parking. Quiet workplace. Big desks.

Cons

Red tape. People never leave, even when they should. Healthcare IT can be tedious and boring. People rarely respond to e-mails. Many "fires" exist only in the minds of executives, even when they are not a big deal. Computers are slow, and outdated. Difficult to get new hardware. Red tape is very difficult to deal with. Too many departments that do to little. And even within their sphere of expertise, knowledge is lacking. Crappy VOIP phones.

Advice to Management

Encourage more turnover, some new blood could help in many departments I have dealt with.

"Aetna is a fantastic place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Underwriting Consultant in Blue Bell, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Underwriting Consultant in Blue Bell, PA

Pros

My experience at Aetna has been very good. We have great benefits including good health care selections and excellent paid time off. Management is given the tools it needs to make life great for all employees, and they use those tools generously whenever possible. My coworkers and I like each other, management, and our work environment, and we are encouraged to maintain a healthy work-life balance. Management is always trying to make our time in the office better, evidenced by frequent dress-down holidays (not just on Fridays!), departmental social get-togethers (picnic, tailgating party, holiday party), and team outings (bowling, lunch). We function as one big happy family!

Cons

It is difficult to think of a downside because I really do love my job, except maybe the fact that we're distanced from senior management (located in Hartford, CT).

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work -- and keep giving the middle managers the tools to make employees happy with their jobs and Aetna in general.

"A great company to work for"

Current Employee - Usability Experience Lead in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Usability Experience Lead in Hartford, CT

Pros

change careers and still remain with the same company. easy to network. team work is a vital tool. the people who work here are fabulous. Teleworking is a huge possibility.

Cons

future can be unknown and scary. Once you find a position you like, it's difficult to get higher raises.

Advice to Management

think more about quality than saving money and saving time when releasing products.

4. "A for Aetna"

Current Employee - Care Management Associate
    Current Employee - Care Management Associate

Pros

Great career development opportunities. The company is also very concerned and involved with their employees well being.

Cons

The pay could be better

Advice to Management

They are always very willing and available to sit with their employees and talk about concerns. ;-)

5. "Aetna cares about you as an employee!"

Current Employee - Medical Claim Examiner in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Medical Claim Examiner in Tampa, FL

Pros

They care about their employees, they have great advancement opportunities, it is a wonderful company to work for. Aetna encourages its employees to excel in areas such Collaboration/Teamwork -Constituent - Focus/Service Excellence -Diversity- Innovation -Leadership and Operational Excellence/Profitability halping you to be all you can be :)

Cons

If you live in Florida chances are you will need to move up to Hartford, CT where its headquarters are located and f you want to be part of Top Management or work directly with the Marketing department this is the city where you will need to work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Thank you for caring! I am truly amazed of the quality of the work force employeed by Aetna. I personally met Ron Williams and I think He will make a great US president someday!

"Best large coporation I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Strategic Planner in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Strategic Planner in Hartford, CT

Pros

Great place to work. Supportive, team environment and culture. Focused on getting better at everything we do. Emphasis on improving quality versus reducing costs. High performance culture requires bringing your A game most of the time. Very smart people all around to listen to and learn from. Experienced and thoughtful management team.

Cons

Lots of meetings. Consensus culture not a fit for everyone. Tend to overanalyze some things leading often stringing out decision making.

Advice to Management

Need to thnk more about ways to provide an integrated customer experience. Websites, etc. somewhat disjointed and value-added services often difficult to find.

"Aetna offers incentives to adopt and maintain a healthy lifestyle. There are many opportunities to work from home."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mid Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mid Florida, FL

Pros

The company is concerned about the health and wellness of its employees and offers many incentives for eating well and being active. Internal job movement is encouraged, and employees can submit their resume on the Intranet and be contacted for job openings that match their skills set. Over 20% of the company's employees are teleworkers.

Cons

In the field in which I work, Aetna does not have many opprotunities for advancement. However, there are many opportunities to grow if I choose to leave my field and stay with the company.

Advice to Management

Ask for employee suggestions on a regular basis.

"good if you can get attention"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

flexibility with work load, friendly people, good training, good opportunities when communicated. can turn into a career if one is focused on such however it is just a job. if you can catch a manager's eye and prove that you're an asset, they'll help.

Cons

terrible medical benefits, work politics come into play more often than expected, no flexibility nor considerations for promotions. someone could get the same promotion as you and you may have worked harder. obvious favoritism does occur.

Advice to Management

give promotions and bonuses based on merit and make it an equal system. remove the "class" structure regarding the promotion scale.

9. "Great company to work for!"

Former Employee - Business Systems Delivery Specialist in Middletown, CT
    Former Employee - Business Systems Delivery Specialist in Middletown, CT

Pros

Great benefits, work/life balanace, nice gym facilities and outdoor trails, community services sponsored by the company - bbq's, games, service days. One will get new projects every now and then. Good for technical skill building if you are new to the workforce. They hire lots of interns and new grads from CT schools. Most of them continue to work at Aetna after their internship is over. Middle management is good in their leadership skills.

Cons

Large company - lots of layers to ger something done. This is a norm in a large company. If you expect things to be done in a day.. this is not the place to be at. Most projects are months and years long before you see a product.

Advice to Management

keep up with the open door policy.

10. "Awesome Aetna!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

They truly value their employees. Aetna and the employees truly live by a set of core values and walk the walk, every day.

Cons

It is really one of the best places I have ever worked. If I had one complaint, it would be that the benefits are a bit expensive.

Advice to Management

The leadership continues to keep employees very well informed of the day toi day changes in health care and insurance so that we can do our jobs as best we can.

Showing 1,610 of 1,686 reviews