Afc Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

"Not for everyone..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Afc Industries full-time

Pros

Great coworkers, great opportunity if you're determined, a lot of room to move up, highly innovative, cool products

Cons

You have to be self motivated, challenging environment and atmosphere, fast paced, can be long hours

Advice to Management

Let your employees do their job, don't pressure employees too much

2. "Opportunity for Foreigns"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Point, NY

I have been working at Afc Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Multilingual, multi-ethnical work group.
    - No video or calls at all for Overseas Employee
    - Punctual payment

Cons

- Some of the management does not speak English correctly, not even to the foreign employee level.
    - Payment below US standards yet better than origin countries.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the Development Chief, she's not capable to overwatch for others and their communication abilities are not existing.

3. "Mgr"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

Pros

None.
    Staff is nice but with mics and cameras in each room. Even a emergency phone call can be a problem

Cons

awful. Higher ups treat everyone else, like absolute dirt. They'll also give you impossible workloads; there's no benefit to completing projects on time, and the best thing to do is just finish a project and keep quiet. In addition, one of the guys at will pay you for sick time or personal time like a funeral try to get vacation. Forget it you owe your soul to them.

Advice to Management

Remember get great help but treating as great.
    Nobody is out to rob you.

4. "Run Away! Avoid at all costs! Real Sweatshop!"

Former Employee - Engineer in College Point, NY

Pros

They have some skilled and good people working in some departments (Engineering mostly). Though maybe like 20 or so, I feel bad for them since they have not much choice to move to other places due to immigration statuses or similar.

Cons

- Location is terrible. The space is cramped, dirty, disorganized, messy and disgusting! Its a cramped warehouse with stacked containers in the middle of residential area. The management literally sits in a residential house infested with insects and mice. They cramp like 8 people with desks in what is essentially a bedroom.
    - No safety! Where is OSHA when you need them? Welders don't have ventilation, gloves or even welding helmets on! The manufacturing area is dusty, messy, stacked full of unneeded parts. Painting is done right in the open, so everyone breathes the powder!
    - Working pace is ridiculous! 4 meetings a day that decide nothing, constant delays, no one knows where the parts are, and yet you are required to design them quickly, in minutes and as a result there are endless errors!
    - The management is incompetent and pathologically cheap! They only allow you to have 1 pair of safety gloves for a month! The boss constantly yells at everyone from the top of his lungs! Doesn't care about workers at all!
    - Pay is pathetic! Benefits are non existent ( you have to pay $577/month for health insurance that covers NOTHING!). Hours are long - 10-12 hours work shifts are pretty common.
    - Equipment and tools are ancient and worn out! Mill is from 1946, Drill press from 1930s! Everything is so worn out, I'm surprised it still functions!
    - There were constant arguments and finger pointing! Saw a physical fight happening!

It's a real sweatshop! No wonder people quit constantly!

Advice to Management

Hopeless! This kind of cheapness is not curable!

"Great for some horrible for others"

Current Employee - Shop in College Point, NY
    Current Employee - Shop in College Point, NY

I have been working at Afc Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My position was changed quite a few times from the original job I interviewed for. During my time here I have climbed the ropes and learned to get along with management. It is very easy to make friends. There are Cons to working here but there are more Pros. There is always room for growth within the company. If you do your job, come on time and listen to your manager it can be a dependable and beneficial job.

Cons

Often times the job calls for us to stay after hours. Management has a way about things and if you don't get along you'll have a rough time. You have to be self motivated because nobody will tell you you're doing a great job. If you slack off you can expect to hear a mouthful about it.

Advice to Management

Make a better training program because it is very confusing for new people their first few weeks here. Put more effort into getting along with employees.

6. "Worst than or just as bad as working in a sweat shop in China"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Point, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Point, NY

I worked at Afc Industries full-time

Pros

Outside of management, they have a very great and friendly staff. Everybody is willing to help each other, and they are sympathetic to each other when manager feels a need to scream at you because it makes him feel good.

Cons

Working for this company is a slow suicidal death. Its nothing good about it!! Its a joke working for this company. They have unkind, greedy people for management.

On top of that, they don't care to maintain the unsafe environment we're working under, both in the offices and the factory plants. No room to to move around and barely any ventilation. You look outside, you see a they have their own dump lot. You go inside, the whole place is dump with unused / untouched stuff sitting everywhere collecting dust. Ceiling falling above you, walls pulling out of its foundation, electrical wires exposed everywhere.

I've never seen a company where everybody is always coughing and passing it back and forth to each other, and they don't care that the company is causing it. After the first year, for the first 5 years, you only get 10 paid days off which includes vacation, sick days, doctor appts., personal days and 6 government holidays, while most companies give you 10 vacation days and 5 / 6 sick days, and the government holidays. So basically you work yourself to death and breathe in the nastiness of the environment and can't call out sick unless you want a pay cut. The irony is, they promote and manufacture comfortable desk and workstations as to not put strain on your neck, but unless you're management, everybody else is confined in tiny, uncomfortable work space, and if you have room on your desk or around your desk, it's piled up with more AFC junk because they collect stuff, and never throw out stuff they don't use.

Their method of cleaning is using a vacuum cleaner older than me with a burnt rubber, spreading the dirt that was collected back into the air and smelling the fumes of the burnt rubber, and emptying the trash every morning after the rodents have feasted out of it when its dark and empty in the night time.

The management yells just to show hes the boss, half the stuff he says doesn't make sense. No set of organization, and everything is done backwards.

The only people truly happy working for this company is management.

Advice to Management

Learn to speak English properly, and complete your sentences and thoughts when explaining the requirements of your job, and stop lying about how great this company this. Also, prepare a proper training schedule for new hires, versus them trying to figure what is expected of them and wasting their time looking for you.

"Great Job if You Can Keep Up"

Current Employee - Sales in College Point, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in College Point, NY

I have been working at Afc Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company has been around for quite some time and has a vast database of customers as well as products. I love the opportunity to create relationships with customers while selling or product. I couldn't ask for a better group of colleagues at the office, a very warm and welcoming group of people. There's always something going on and plenty of work to be done. If you stay in top of your game and always give it your best then it's a great job.

Cons

It is a fast work environment and is often hard to keep up. If you don't keep up you get drowned and overloaded with work. I find myself having to leave the office late too often just to catch up with the workload. This job is not for everyone and if you don't have an internal motivation to do your job then this job is not for you.

Advice to Management

Try and have more people doing separate jobs as opposed to having 1 person doing the job of 2 people.

"Good Oppertunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Point, NY

I have been working at Afc Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

AFC Industries has a diverse culture work force. There are many opportunities to grow and expand as a professional. There is always something to do.

Cons

Not much training time. Hard work is rarely appreciated or rewarded.

Advice to Management

Don't treat your employees like high school children.

"Horrendous workplace"

Former Employee - Engineer in College Point, NY

I worked at Afc Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They'll hire anyone. One of the few places in Queens that hire engineers. Most engineers are nice and pleasant to work with.

Cons

Management is awful. Higher ups treat everyone else, be it manual workers or engineers, like absolute dirt. They'll also give you impossible workloads; there's no benefit to completing projects on time, and the best thing to do is just finish a project and keep quiet. In addition, one of the guys at the top will monitor your computer screen via some remote program and question you when you slow down as if it were some kind of big brother system. There are also absolutely unnecessary meetings everyday where people talk about work not even pertaining to you for over half an hour. People that you don't know or care about may come to yell at you for the incompetence of others.

The "HR" department will regularly contact you and question you about how committed you are. Feels pretty much like an interrogation. It's not a wonder that the turn over rate at the company is insanely high. Also, because of the unsafe work environment, people doing manual work often get injured. Mold and other types of terrible things are growing in pretty much every office room except for the boss', who has a ridiculously nice and fancy setup in a large and comfortable room.

The place is also a train-wreck when it comes to organization. Projects are often months overdo, and the whole method of maintaining a log is completely ridiculous. Everyone has to keep their own log and consolidates information at the end of the day in a completely random fashion.

Finally, the pay is horrendous. If you mention a raise, be prepared to essentially be ridiculed.

Advice to Management

Get an actual HR department. Your current one is manipulative and unfair.

"Fast-paced work environment"

Current Employee - Office Employee in College Point, NY
    Current Employee - Office Employee in College Point, NY

I have been working at Afc Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked in the office for over 6 years. I believe the company is growing. Management works hard to sustain the business, resolve any issues that arise, and work to keep the business growing, which with today's large manufacturing competition with China is not an easy task. Over the last few years I've noticed an increase of over 25% in the number of employees. While there is still room for improvement, I enjoy working here and I see the hard work that management puts in. It is very easy for anyone to criticize the work of others, and you can never satisfy everyone, but I feel that the company does a great job and treats us, the employees, well. Management works hard to keep the company growing and the employees satisfied, which is hard work and often works more than 70 hours a week to do so. My paycheck is always on time, as is everyone else's, I am treated with respect as an employee, and it is an overall positive working environment. I wish the company employees all the best, and hope for continued growth, happiness, and hard work in what we do daily.

Cons

Very tight work space, especially in the manufacturing department.

Advice to Management

My only advice to management, in terms of improvement, is to fix/improve the actual work space to ensure a more comfortable work condition.