Afdent Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 27, 2017

2.5
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Professional, fast paced environment, working with the public is rewarding. Lab tech staff is great."

Former Employee - Denture Lab Technician in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Denture Lab Technician in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Afdent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They guarantee hours, insurance, dental, and take care of you as an employee.

Cons

This is a very fast pace job that requires multitasking skillset and working to make the public healthy.

Advice to Management

Be more social and respectful with your employees, especially the newer members, I worked there over a year and talked to the owner one time and that is when he did my dental work. People feared this doctor at times, that was discouraging and a let down. HR department and my lab tech manager was great. He was always willing to help and support the TEAM.

2. "The Worst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Afdent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dental Care Benefits were Great

Cons

This was the "worst" company I have worked for. I worked for this company for almost 4 years. They treat their employees like their disposable and often threatened their jobs. Very fast paced and often double booked appointments. Lunches were not scheduled and often non existent. We were told to eat between appointments, which was hard considering they were double booking appointments. We were forced to give up $50+ dollars every Christmas holiday to buy the Dr.'s holiday gifts and if we opted out, it would be taken from our paychecks. In return our holiday gifts were always something with the "Afdent' logo on it... Really? (example a coffee cup or sweatshirt with their logo on it). The management, including the Dr. that owns the facility was very impersonal and often intimidating, especially when they constantly threatened to let employees go, if things weren't done Exactly how they liked. I would never recommend this company to anyone.

Advice to Management

Saying you care about your employees and actually caring about your employees are two very different things.

3. "Dental assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mishawaka, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mishawaka, IN

Pros

The pay rate, and free lunch (cold cut sandwiches) provided, when & if you have the time to scarf something down quickly! Youre not allowed to leave the premises for lunch.

Cons

So many....
    The unrealistic expectations of work load for proper patient care. You will be run to death and it will never be enough. Dont expect overtime for youre hard,hard work and long hours, or you will be fired for it.
    The walking on egg shells in constant fear of being fired without ANY warning what so ever, for ANY or NO reasonable reason at all. In my 20 plus years experience in this field, I have NEVER seen a company hire & fire people so ruthlessly. Never have I witnessed a more stressful workful environment, where employees are under such constant scrutiny & fear of loosing their jobs daily! Including the Dentists! Afdent has a notorious reputation in this entire area (among everyone in the dental field here) for this, and treating employees horribly personally, do NOT let them lure you in with the pay.. It's a trap. You will not feel welcomed in with this tough group! You are made to feel like an outsider. Which I have never ever felt like before in any other work place!! Its run more like a prison than a work place! I cant express how happy I am to no longer work here! Such a RELIEF! :)

RUN.....

Advice to Management

Better (any) communication between management & staff of specific expectations & to stand by them without changing them from one minute to the next.
     Stop firing so many good employees.
    Listen to your employees, with a FAIR ear & work WITH them more, that includes ALL of them. Not just a VERY selective few!

Dec 14, 2015 – Communications

We appreciate the reviews of our current and past employees regarding Afdent Dental. We encourage employees to speak directly with our management team when they have concerns, as we have a wonderful... More

"Great Employer"

Current Employee - Marketing in Mishawaka, IN
    Current Employee - Marketing in Mishawaka, IN

I have been working at Afdent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team mentality- everyone helps each other out, true patient-first care, fair and reliable pay, free lunch brought in for staff (even ice cream/treats), open communication and fair treatment of each other. Managers are always open to talking and hearing frustrations and working to change them or continuing practices that employees enjoy. Great benefits package as well.

Cons

Definitely work hard, can sometimes be long days but in exchange for 4 day work week it is worth it. There's a high expectation and really want you to serve the patient- and do what is right- so sometimes that means working a little slower to make sure the patient is completely taken care of.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Apr 23, 2015 – Communications

Thank you for this great review! We appreciate you being a part of our Afdent Dental Family and for helping put patient-care first!

"Horrible to employees! Wish I could find another job or get fired from here"

Current Employee - Pee On in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Pee On in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Afdent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and insurance. You learn a lot .....

Cons

You are a number and a profit work horse. You are told repeatedly " anyone can be fired at anytime for any reason" that is the truth. They fire people all the time and let a crap ton of employees go in January when they aren't needed anymore. I hope I'm next....RUN from this place.

Advice to Management

Learn some people skills

Apr 24, 2015 – HR Manager

The large number of patients we see on a daily basis is a result of demand, which is a fantastic reflection on Dr. Allen, our doctors, and our staff! Our patients trust us to do the right thing for... More

6. "Largest solely owned one building practice in the United States"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Mishawaka, IN
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Mishawaka, IN

I have been working at Afdent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Comradery amongst the employees, highly educated staff, complete focus on the patients well being, and finance plans that almost any patient can qualify for without gouging them.

Cons

More locations are needed to spread the quality of care Afdent brings to denistry.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and open more locations!!!

Apr 23, 2015 – Communications

Thank you for the great review and for being a part of the Afdent Dental Family!

7. "not good."

Current Employee - Dental Assistant in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Dental Assistant in Fort Wayne, IN

Pros

The pay. You don't get sent home when work is slow.

Cons

The reviews are never on time.

Advice to Management

Needs work on communication.

Apr 24, 2015 – HR Manager

We do not administer traditional annual reviews. Instead, we work with our group leaders and doctors to make training and feedback an ongoing process throughout the year, so employees always know how... More

8. "Disappointed. I am not sure Dr. Pecina's "vision" is carried through to "proper" patient care."

I have been working at Afdent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

lunch provided, up to date equipment, digital radiographs and intra-oral cameras salary was pleasing, the days are busy!

Cons

From day one I felt like an outsider, tough crowd to get to know, I wasn't told about lunch arrangements until after was hired. "you eat when you can" they are more comfortable with firing employees, than discussing improvement needed...Maybe now I know why no one reaches out to get to know you. Lots of duplication of documentation, written consents. Estimates provided fora patient's treatment aren't completely accurate, yet patients are signing without reading it completely. Management seems uncomfortable with discussing necessary treatment if they have to discuss a lot of options as to why it is needed. "Per conversation with a patient of 10 years, "I have been coming here for quite a while and no-one has been as thorough as you, It is obvious you enjoy your profession" "Thanks for talking to me about the health of my mouth and how to improve it."

Advice to Management

Office culture Difficult, instead of standing in the halls waiting, spend that time getting to know your patients and staff better. Open up. and Smile.

Apr 23, 2015 – Communications

We appreciate the suggestions of all our staff and deeply desire to speak with any employee and work together to make Afdent an enjoyable place to work for everyone. Group leaders are there to... More