Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dave Larson

1. "information security intern"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great place and culture

Cons

Nothing bad to say about them

"True the the tag line "Not for profit. For people""

Current Employee - Branches in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Branches in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm general, credit unions tend to offer a much better environment to work in. That said, I've talked with and visited dozens of credit unions over the last 20 years and Affinity Plus is doing some incredible things! I started with Affinity Plus late last year and have been impressed with the people and beliefs of leadership. We hold ourselves accountable to our values: Care. Excellence. Integrity.

In addition to a great benefit package management just announced today two new employee benefits! Paid day off on your birthday and 6 weeks of 100% paid time off for mothers and fathers to spend with a new child...they genuinely CARE about employees!

Cons

Affinity Plus went some difficult times leading up to 2013. Dave Larson, the current CEO who took over in '13 and longtime employee, has performed a small miracle since taking over. If you Glassdoor read reviews prior to 2013 you'll know what I mean...don't let those dated reviews sway you from considering Affinity Plus.

We are getting better each day, and we have come a loooongggg way.

3. "Awesome employer"

Current Employee - Member Advisor II in Bemidji, MN
    Current Employee - Member Advisor II in Bemidji, MN

Pros

Great benefits and decent pay for the work. The hours are good and lots of days off with good pto

Cons

Will be asked to do more and more work without pay increase. No overtime allowed if you would like to work.longer

4. "great company"

Former Employee - Member Advisor in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Member Advisor in Rochester, MN

I worked at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really supports the customers and is service driven

Cons

It was in MN....Freezing weather

5. "Always supported, lots of learning opportunities for self starters."

Current Employee - Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Great benefits, people, and culture.

Cons

Base compensation is lower than market.

Advice to Management

Take serious stock of the value of retention in order to pay for and keep quality employees.

6. "Great work expereince - crap Management!"

Current Employee - Lien Specialist in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Lien Specialist in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like the culture of the Organization. Affinity Plus has great State Benefits - Phenominal!!!! The values of the Organization are also amazing! :D Makes me happy to work for the Oranization - to be a part of something greater!

Cons

Management is not trained well and pulled from hourly employees. Idealy a great idea if again they were trained better. I started as a temp and I basically taught myself everything I know.

Advice to Management

Get a clue

7. "A great place to build your banking acumen."

Current Employee - Member Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Member Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

You will never feel pressured to do something unethical.

Cons

You probably will make less than you're expecting.

Advice to Management

You're on the right track. Hire more people across the board.

"An environment focused on helping people and allowing you to be an individual."

Former Employee - Member Advisor in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Member Advisor in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture, a focus on helping people and putting them first, empowered to make your own decisions, awesome benefits, great work environment.

Cons

As a member advisor you wear many hats within the company and it can be a struggle to get things done.

"Client support is great but management team not on same page"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed working at the credit union and making a difference in people's lives. The people in the branches are really great and so dedicated. We were really empowered to help people.

Cons

Upper management is really struggling, seems like everyone has a different message of what goal is important today - senior level managers not working together. Being empowered Is great for those that can handle it but no accountability and follow through keeps some people in positions way over there head.

"Incredibly humane credit union, cooperative co-workers, and great learning experiences"

Former Employee - Member Advisor in Roseville, MN
    Former Employee - Member Advisor in Roseville, MN

I worked at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every employee of Affinity Plus has the same level of ability to help members of the credit union. I had access and was encouraged to do as much for any member as the CEO. We were encouraged and supported in empowering and supporting members through major life events in ways that I haven't seen any financial institution do. We had time to build real relationships with people, and I felt good and right about what I did ALL THE TIME., which is so rare in jobs in the financial industry!

Plus, member advisors do everything from teller transactions, to car loans, to budgeting sessions, to every step of a mortgage (application, all underwriting, closing), to home purchases...working at Affinity Plus is as fantastic of an entry level job as it is a great job switch for financial industry career veterans. You'll learn, grow, and make people happier than they thought possible from a trip to the credit union.

Cons

The expectations and needs are definitely high for member advisors, because Affinity Plus has a lot of integrity and isn't all about teaching you what to do; the credit union is all about getting your unique skills to flourish and benefit your employees. It's the fastest growing credit union in the state and just keeps growing. So sometimes it can seem a little overwhelming at first, because you have A LOT to learn, and a lot of responsibility to go with that. But having patience and trusting yourself as a person will take you through the challenging times.