Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 12, 2019

Found 48 reviews

3.5
Dave Larson

"Great benefits, no opportunities"

I have been working at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great and numerous benefits are offered at low cost, feel like they do really care about their employees well being and the community. Everyone is very nice and helpful.

Cons

No movement in the company, if there is there are 6-15 people applying for one job opening. When there is movement its current managers or VPs getting new titles added to their jobs or promotions. Stong sense of "favoritism" within the whole company.

Advice to Management

I feel that the current compensation scale ins't enough to keep employees around, most (hourly) stay because of the environment and morals of the company vs. being paid enough to live on, I have to work a second job to be able to afford working here and support myself.

Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union2017-08-25

"Great Benefits"

I worked at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Benefits are very good Senior management and CEO seem good

Cons

Difficult to keep up with demand and frequently understaffed Some members are very entitled and impossible to please Not very many opportunities for advancement in outlying branches Sub-par leadership in branches

Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union2017-08-10
  3. "information security intern"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union for less than a year

Pros

Great people, great place and culture

Cons

Nothing bad to say about them

Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union2017-03-31

"True the the tag line "Not for profit. For people""

Current Employee - Branches in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

I'm general, credit unions tend to offer a much better environment to work in. That said, I've talked with and visited dozens of credit unions over the last 20 years and Affinity Plus is doing some incredible things! I started with Affinity Plus late last year and have been impressed with the people and beliefs of leadership. We hold ourselves accountable to our values: Care. Excellence. Integrity. In addition to a...

Cons

Affinity Plus went some difficult times leading up to 2013. Dave Larson, the current CEO who took over in '13 and longtime employee, has performed a small miracle since taking over. If you Glassdoor read reviews prior to 2013 you'll know what I mean...don't let those dated reviews sway you from considering Affinity Plus. We are getting better each day, and we have come a loooongggg way.

Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union2017-02-21
    • "Awesome employer"

Current Employee - Member Advisor II in Bemidji, MN

I have been working at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union

Pros

Great benefits and decent pay for the work. The hours are good and lots of days off with good pto

Cons

Will be asked to do more and more work without pay increase. No overtime allowed if you would like to work.longer

Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union2017-02-22
      • "Good place to work"

I worked at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Starting salary, co-workers, members, benefits

Cons

Micro-managing, takes "doing what's best for a member" to an extreme and judges your decisions, very little actual job training--mostly company culture training

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage. Let your employees decide what is best for members after THEY have the conversations. Train employees more on job-related tasks.

Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union2016-11-11
      • "Loan Officer"

I have been working at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Co-workers Benefits Generous vacation and sick time

Cons

Constantly understaffed More responsibilities but pay isn't commensurate to work load Open works setting which leads to constant interruption by members thus affecting work quality and completion for members that are being served

Advice to Management

Raise incentives that reward performance to retain high performing staff Ensure that busy branches are always adequately staffed

Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union2016-08-09

"Optimistic"

I have been working at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The senior team and CEO continue to drive an engaging business culture, and are making efforts to improve training, develop employees and their managers through an investment of time and funds into coaching and training their managers to be better accountable leaders to their teams.

Cons

With any business, you'll find pockets of "groups" within middle management not interested in engaging with others outside their "group" or who are very self-serving, and in need of learning better soft-skills. They seem to hold onto under-performing managers and employees resulting in a negative impact others working with or around them, and productivity. Some of these managers will not dedicate time to mentor and develop...

Advice to Management

Get to know the talent the organization possesses. I think Senior, Management, and HR do not realize some of the talent within the organization outside of those who work closely at corporate office or see the senior team often. Outlook seems optimistic with the leader training implemented, however, it would be nice to be able to provide anonymous reviews about managers of areas for improvement and see the follow-through...

Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union2016-06-24
      • "great company"

Former Employee - Member Advisor in Rochester, MN

I worked at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really supports the customers and is service driven

Cons

It was in MN....Freezing weather

Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union2016-05-14
      • "Great benefits, team and pay is tons of perks!"

Current Employee - Member Advisor

Pros

- Great team, coworkers are amazing. Friendships are built! - Pay is ok. Not too bad, but could always improve. - Benefits are amazing! - Stable jobs, advancement always offered. (They prefer inter-hiring) - Stable hours - Bonuses and gifts. - Donations/Plus it forward - Not sales based/no pressure to sell

Cons

- Some of the members can be a much. They have are big on self entitlement, and can be very nasty. (Had someone threaten to urinate on the property!) - I have been asked to do more than my job description, without pay increase. (I.e. Open memberships) - Nothing gets done about not as "aware" employees. - Raises are only UP TO 4% of current pay rate - Inconsistent - Training/Product Knowledge

Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union2016-02-24