Affirma Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 28, 2018

4.1
Michael Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Tons of free food (bi-monthly company lunches on Wednesdays, Fast food Fridays, kitchen full of Costco food)" (in 10 reviews)

• "Facilities like work from home and Internet Reimbursement" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is growing and hasn't yet figured out how to adjust to there new situation" (in 6 reviews)

• "PM role seems to have a high turnover rate" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Affirma Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, have to hunt for your own business and you're responsible for a lot of your growth. But isn't that everyone wants in a job? Responsibility for their own development?

Cons

Not really that much honestly

2. "Account Executive"

I worked at Affirma Consulting full-time

Pros

One catered lunch per week for employees

Cons

unorganized, unprofessional, bad management, unrealistic expectations

"Would work there again"

Former Employee - Contractor
    Former Employee - Contractor

I worked at Affirma Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- They are willing to allow employees to take a chance and support them.
    - They don't seem to be overly concerned with credenitals, put a high emphasis on problem solving and ownership.
    - A lot of people seem to have started in one position, then moved up or over into something else.

Cons

- Food can get scarce by the end of the week. Which seems weird to complain about, since most places don't do as much for food any ways...but the bar has been set.
    - More crosss team collaboration would better.

4. "Content Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Affirma Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Culture. Free food. Decent Benefits. Casual.

Cons

Not much room for advancement depending on your skills. Common complaint is underpaid.

"Great place to work, growing company, mostly good people"

I have been working at Affirma Consulting full-time

Pros

Opportunity for advancement
    Fair compensation
    Flexible hours

My experience has been great so far and although there are definitely growing pains, Affirma is growing (it's doubled in size since I've been here). So they must be doing some things right.

Some people want to get raises without doing anything more. Or they don't want to have accountability when things get difficult. I guess you could complain about your situation and blame others for your lot, but I feel as I have worked hard and contributed to the team, I've shared in the success. They recognize high performers regularly.

The leadership here is busy, but I've seen them help out the project team when things get critical - I mean, really deep dive into the system or tool and work with the team. That is pretty cool.

Cons

Benefits could be better
    sometimes disconnect between sales and project teams

I think there has been increased accountability since I've been here, and as a consultant company there is stress in delivering for clients. But I don't think this is anything more than other places that deal with outside clients. and I'd rather have accountability with the responsibility to achieve success than a routine job without either.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the opportunities and look forward to continued growth

"Project Managers Beware"

I have been working at Affirma Consulting full-time

Pros

+ Project diversity
    + Decent benefits
    + If you are competent, you'll have chances to grow quickly

Cons

+ If something goes wrong in the project, the PM will almost always be blamed
    + Different business units are all silo'd, no sense of real collaboration between teams
    + Office politics is huge - the sales team and C-suite are very close and everyone else is shunned to a side
    + Sales teams promise the world to the client then leave the delivery team to handle the mess
    + PMO is absolutely toxic with high turnover, two PMs were fired within a month of me starting and 2 others quit shortly thereafter

Advice to Management

What's the point? Somehow they'll use vague, embellished metrics to prove they are doing a good job.

Jun 18, 2018 – COO

We appreciate this thoughtful feedback and are grateful for the positive parts of the review. We also appreciate the candid negative feedback. It is true that Project Managers at Affirma wield... More

"BEWARE!"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Affirma Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They work short hours in the office and allow for flexibility on either end so it’s convenient if you’re juggling kids or bad commutes.

If you are trying to get into IT they will hire folks with zero experience and train you.

You can have an acceptable experience here if you get on a team with a decent lead who shields you from the day to day politics.

Cons

So many but the overarching problem is the real lack of leadership. The leadership team seems to be an old group of friends who just stays holed in their office pouring over spreadsheets. There is very little company vision and communicating with employees. Perception is the management team is in over their heads and resorts to just continuing status quo and punishing those who don’t fall in line rather than having a real vision for moving the company forward.

The teams are massively disjointed. Teams don’t work together like we’re all fighting for the same cause. It’s survival. Something goes wrong, you have to circle the wagons and find someone to blame.

Speaking of things going wrong, it’s a constant occurrence. It’s not “if” but “when” and “how”. Very few projects go through without major issues. From my perspective most are due to 1) sales promising customers budgets, timelines or outcomes that are not realistic 2) resourcing being done in a “box” without perspective and being too tightly focused on 100% utilization (how successful can you be when you’re working 3 hours each on 15 different projects in a week!) 3) lack of support when something does go wrong- they give blame rather than help.

Speaking of blame, when something does go wrong on a project, instead of coming together as a group to solve the problems for the customer, the blame starts. Blame first goes to the PM, then to the development team. NEVER to sales, account management or resourcing. PM’s drop like FLIES at this place. The PMO is horribly organized, managed and staffed.

People quit here constantly. So many they don’t make announcements, folks just disappear.

There is a group of folks who we call “tenured” who’ve been there since the beginning and can get away with anything. Being belligerent to co-workers, passing off undesirable work and barely working. It leads to a lot of resentment. There’s a fair amount of folks who are untouchable because of their relationships with leadership and they make sure folks know.

They’re obviously obsessed with improving their Glassdoor ratings by coercing positive reviews and giving lengthy rebuttals to negative ones. I fully expect a long rebuttal from the company to this review. That alone should steer folks clear of working here. They’d prefer to blame the messenger rather than dig in and actually try to solve issues.

Advice to Management

Think about what it really means to be a leader. Coming up with company vision, having a plan to move the company to the next level, finding problems and solving them, motivating the troops and building company unity. For the company to grow it’s probably time to hire an executive team from the outside and let them take the company to the next level.

"Very satisfied"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Affirma Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I find the flexible environment that allows you to perform your work in whatever manner works best for you to be really great. The management are personable and approachable which makes addressing issues that arise far easier than with previous employers. My input is always valued, and I appreciate that they make an effort to make the workplace as equitable an environment as possible and engage in philanthropy as well.

Cons

The Bellevue location is a bit inaccessible from Seattle due to traffic.

Advice to Management

Keep being attentive to new issues as they arise and refining protocols accordingly as the company grows.

Apr 8, 2018 – Principal

Thanks so much for your review. We appreciate the kind words and will continue to work hard to maintain the work environment you appreciate. Thanks again!

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Affirma Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative work environment
    Great Leadership
    Career Development opportunities

Cons

I live in Seattle so there is a bit of a commute.

Mar 29, 2018 – Principal

Thanks so much for your review of Affirma. We are very glad you are enjoying being on the team.

I’m glad you mentioned career development opportunities as this is something we are trying to... More

10. "Great Environment!"

I have been working at Affirma Consulting full-time

Pros

Feel safe and comfortable
    Clear communication on goals
    Fun, casual and great food perks
    Strong, supportive culture
    Offers growth opportunities

Cons

I have nothing negative to say

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Apr 8, 2018 – Principal

Thanks so much for your review. Please don’t hesitate to include concerns or suggestions in your quarterly employee satisfaction survey. Those get reviewed individually by the entire executive... More