Affymetrix Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Affymetrix President & CEO Frank Witney
Frank Witney

Pros
Cons
  • Manager depent on employees too much, they have no scientific knowledges (in 3 reviews)

1. "An excellent place to work with talented, bright people striving to make the world a better place."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Affymetrix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dedicated to employee growth and a good work-life balance. Great benefits and perks.

Cons

A pioneer in the industry has struggled against its own demons over the last couple years.

2. "Global family moving in the right direction"

Current Employee - Affymetrix Sales
    Current Employee - Affymetrix Sales

I have been working at Affymetrix full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As a sales rep the hands off management style let's me work like I have my own business. I make my own schedule, target accounts and hit my number. I sell products that are changing how medical decisions are made-directly improving the life of patients. That's job satisfaction. It's not all about the money.
    Affy is a small global company competing with much larger companies. As such, I interact with people all over the world on a daily basis. Even though we have hundred of employees, the CEO, VP, Software Engineers, Product Managers, Sales Reps, and Support staff know me and I know them. We really are like a giant family. Some cousins you hate, but most everyone you love.

Cons

Over the past couple of years, the management team has been tasked with righting a listing ship and getting it back up and powering through the waters. This meant they had to streamline and focus on what is most important. This meant letting go of some talented people, but also some fat. Those of us left are doing more with less, but doing it much better.

Advice to Management

Remember the goal to keep moving forward and keeping it lean. More upper management is NOT the answer. Put resources into R&D.

3. "Great place to work, and help make a better world!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Affymetrix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been an Affy employee for 4 years, and am happy to be part of a company that is making a difference in the world in so many ways. I enjoy being with my friendly, down-to-earth, hard-working and very smart co-workers. Our CEO, Frank Witney, has done an amazing job of turning around the company; and he's also a genuine, caring, and extremely conscientious leader. There is a lot of opportunity ahead for Affymetrix, and for employees who are willing to make the extra effort.

Cons

Affymetrix went through some hard times, and is making huge progress. Sometimes, employees need just a little more patience, and realize that we still have to keep watching the bottom line. Like every company I've ever worked in, we need to keep focusing on simplifying processes, and finding ways to keep the workload manageable while getting the best productivity we can.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating openly -- even if there is unpleasant news. Keep caring -- it shows that you are now better aligned and working together to help the company succeed.

Oct 9, 2014 – Mgr, Global Staffing & HRBP

Thanks for your feedback. Glad to hear that you are having a positive experience here at Affymetrix.

5. "Very rewarding!"

Current Employee - Administration
    Current Employee - Administration

I have been working at Affymetrix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In my opinion, the employees and the leaders.

Cons

Nothing, everything seems to be very fair.

Oct 29, 2014 – Mgr, Global Staffing & HRBP

We would not be where we are today without the help of our dedicated employees. Thanks for taking the time to post a comment on our profile page.

6. "Increasingly Exciting Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Affymetrix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are devoted and determined to the mission of the company resulting in a very positive work atmosphere. Employees are engaged with plenty of company functions. The benefits are very good as well.

Cons

Miscommunication between departments will cause the departments to run in two different directions only to find out progress made is not compatible.

"Exciting time to see the company re-generate itself and come to life-- a great opportunity to make a difference!"

I have been working at Affymetrix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Considerate, extremely dedicated, down-to-Earth and brilliant co-workers

Cons

Sometimes it feels like Affymetrix doesn't get the recognition it deserves... but we're getting there.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you've been doing the past 1-2 years.

Apr 6, 2015 – Sr. Manager, Talent Acquisition and HRBP

Great, thank you for your positive response!

8. "Great company with a great turnaround story"

Pros

Great executive leadership team who is leading the company towards sustained growth and positive outlook. Great, smart employees. Stock price has grown 30% since calendar year-end 2014.

Cons

The company went through tougher times up until 2013, but has definitely recovered.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Continue the cadence of accountability and onward to a great Phase III of the strategic transformation.

Apr 8, 2015 – Sr. Manager, Talent Acquisition and HRBP

We are very excited about this phase in our turnaround; thank you for all of your hard work in helping to make this happen!

9. "Great place to work!!"

I have been working at Affymetrix full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Affymetrix has a very dedicated Executive team who value work/life balance and career opportunities for its employees.
    I have been here for almost eight years and have experienced the roller coaster ride and I finally feel like it has stabilized and I am proude to be a part of this great company.

Cons

Please bring back the Friday donuts/bagels.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Apr 8, 2015 – Sr. Manager, Talent Acquisition and HRBP

We are happy that you are an Affymetrix employee, thank you for your positive outlook!

10. "Affymetrix has done an excellent job of turning itself around!"

I have been working at Affymetrix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work/life balance is great. The people are engaged, bright, curious , and fun to work with. Even though Affymetrix is a medium-sized company, the opportunities for career growth and development are plentiful.

Cons

There are a lot of highly motivated employees and a lot of work to get done; therefore, sometimes enough time isn't spent on simplifying processes, leading to lots of time spent on unnecessary tasks.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing. Keep your employees engaged and motivated by asking for their feedback and following through on action items.

"Vaired, challenging but hugely rewarding"

I have been working at Affymetrix full-time

Pros

The people and our customers and the difference we are making to biology around the world. The work is varied and teh comapny size means you can influence decision and be visible to senior management. The people are hugely dedicated and their is a great team spirit.

Cons

There have been some challenges but the company has come through most off these. As a smaller comapny sometimes resources are constrained.

Advice to Management

Continue to be engaged with the employees and continue the greater communication and involvement that has been going on in the last two or three years.

Apr 23, 2015 – Sr. Manager, Talent Acquisition and HRBP

Great feedback, thank you!