Afirm Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Jon Kovach

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ability to work from home and minimal supervision if you are a skilled contractor (in 14 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, GREAT AREA MANAGER, no day is ever the same and coming in contact with many different types of businesses (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely low pay to contractors (in 7 reviews)

• Very poor response time from help desk and office staff (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great for supplemental income or a stay at home mom"

Current Employee - Premium Auditor in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Premium Auditor in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Afirm part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, GREAT AREA MANAGER, no day is ever the same and coming in contact with many different types of businesses.

Cons

Not enough work to sustain a proper living. Slow response time from headquarter employees.

Advice to Management

Area management is phenomenal. Don't really come in contact with main manager.

Feb 16, 2017 – HR Associate

Thanks for the review! One of the things we're working in 2017 is to connect the Home Office employees more with our remote employees through initiatives such as employee-led committees. We have... More

"Loss Surveyor"

Current Employee - Surveyor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Surveyor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Afirm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility with schedule. Some reviewers and people at HQ are nice to deal with.

Cons

LOW PAY. Heavy demands. Most of your time is spent on activities you get no pay for. No matter how hard you try, the pay just remains EXTREMELY LOW, no matter what they tell you up front. You can't believe a word they say because the rules and demands change practically from week to week. They send constant bullying emails threatening your employment - and your self-respect - if you don't meet their ever-changing and increasing demands. Of course, there are never any raises or hopes of a raise as the demands continue.

Advice to Management

If you paid your field employees more and showed appreciation for them by doing so, you might have less turnover and therefore get more stable, long-time field employees/contractors who don't need as much help and training and don't mind the constant passive-aggressive emails and lack of respect from reviewers and management.

"Bait and Switch -Misleading- Use You UP"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Afirm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work From Home- Flexible Hours

Cons

You are forced to do low paying reports as The Parent Company Kaufman owns several of the Companies AFIRM does reports for.
    Hourly Wage- is Deducted from commissions which is $10 an hour. so if you work 40 hours with calls, Audits/Inspections, write ups, drive time = $400 they don't pay you this in addition to commissions. They subtract- so If commissions were $1000, they only pay you $600 + the $10 an hr of $400-- VERY Misleading,
    Vacation or Sick Pay is Deducted from Commissions, Very Coercive & manipulating Mgmt. Threatening emails, Very Disturbing approach to management. The HR responses to all these comments here is only damage control with no change. You will get Tired & burnt out and very disappointed if you decide to work for AFIRM. They will always turn the screws- Pressure- Threaten you with Employment contract you agreed to it is relentless.
    Keep In mind the wear and tear, repairs, maintenance, tires ,Insurance, on your vehicle, Your Cell Phone costs, computer, paper, Ink. parking costs, tolls, + You will get calls at all hours even after you have done work from Customers, Agents, AFIRM Mgmnt. its Crazy!

Advice to Management

Change your ways- Get rid of management that does not know how to communicate, managing by intimidation.. threatening emails - Make them cc the CEO on all there emails see what they are actually saying to employees. Employees work under Fear of losing Job..

"US Reports...don't do it!"

Former Employee - Independent Contractor
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor

I worked at Afirm (More than a year)

Pros

There are very few pros for this type of work with this company. Perhaps the only positive is that there are some interesting places and operations to inspect.

Cons

Very poor pay that is very close to minimum wage given the time, travel and personal costs involved in doing this work. The reimbursement/pay model used by US Reports, along with the expectations of the field inspectors will keep this position from being attractive to any serious career minded person. Very poor response time from help desk and office staff.

Advice to Management

Until management starts treating Independent Contractors as if they too are valuable customers, US Reports will continue to deal with disgruntled employees and high turnover.

"Premium auditor"

I have been working at Afirm full-time

Pros

Travel and meet new people each day.

Cons

Very performance driven, management is constantly concerned about quotas

Nov 22, 2016 – HR Associate

Thanks for your review. One of the advantages of working for US-Reports is the diverse people with whom we work! Challenges such as quotas, performance and meeting deadlines arise with a business... More

"USR Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

Pros

-Friendly work environment
    -Great insurance options

Cons

-Mediocre pay
    -Departmental divides
    -No transparency from management

Nov 22, 2016 – HR Associate

Thank you for your review. One of the measures US-Reports hopes to tackle as we move forward is cultivating a more transparent and open management and executive team. Our executives keep an "open... More

"Home Office Staff Member"

Pros

The people welcome you in like Family!

Cons

Very performance/metrics driven. There needs to be more focus on the "Human" side

Advice to Management

Create a better balance of fun & work

Nov 8, 2016 – HR Associate

Thanks for the feedback. We are working on initiatives to engage our employees. In fact this week, we had our very own Grilled Cheese lunch provided by our Events Committee.

8. "Premium Auditor"

Pros

Well organized, the supervising staff was eaay to work with.

Cons

Minimal training before being sent out on your own to Audit Clients.

Advice to Management

Create an environment where new Auditors can shadow experienced Auditors.

Sep 20, 2016 – HR Associate

Thanks so much for the review. Your idea to create and opportunity for auditors to help train others is something on which our business thrives. Most of our home office staff at one point worked in... More

"The Worst Loss Control Company"

Former Employee - Independent Loss Control in Hackensack, NJ
    Former Employee - Independent Loss Control in Hackensack, NJ

Pros

Good online programs and resources.

Cons

They make independent contractors to open up LLC's and you never get a job from them. After, you invest more than $400.00 dollars they don't even call you. Managers need to start treating people with professionalism and respect. You are better off working for a local insurance broker. Waste of time and money.

Advice to Management

Independent Loss Control consultants are the backbone of your operation. Therefore, learn to treat them with respect.

Sep 16, 2016 – HR Associate

We appreciate your feedback.

We do request that our independent contractors operate under a "Doing Business As Name", but we do not require any specific form of business set-up.

One of the... More

"Premium Auditor"

Current Employee - Premium Auditor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Premium Auditor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Afirm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Auditors are employees, not subcontractors. We receive an hourly wage, plus commission dollars for audits completed. We have a full benefit package, including medical, dental and a 401K. All expenses are reimbursed.

Cons

Inventory for auditing can be scattered outside of your "normal" territory which means with drive time you may not be able to get as many audits completed for the week as you would like and the real money comes from over ride dollars on completed audits.

Advice to Management

Assign auditors to a manageable territory so work can be completed in a quicker more concise fashion. Instead of hiring multiple part time employees, work should be distributed to full time employees who have already proven their ability to produce quality work.

Sep 16, 2016 – HR Associate

Thank you for the feedback!

One of the ways we are trying to improve the travel time and territory variances is by creating more specific territories. We feel that with the growth of our... More