Aflac Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos
Dan Amos

Cons

"WARNING: They Won't Tell You The Whole Story, But We Will!"

Former Employee - Sales Agent in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in New York, NY

I worked at Aflac full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product, ethical product, nice fellow agents, good commission

Cons

Fairy tales, hocus pocus, liars, management, unsteady income, homeless agents

Advice to Management

So glad I got out of that r-a-t hole known as Aflac. They play the guessing game and leave people in the dark for kicks and do not tell you the full ramifications of what the job will be like. Like many, many others have said, the managers are the problem at this company. Your success will heavily depend on your manager unless you already come with a few years of sales experience and even those people fail in some cases, since they recruit anyone with a pulse. There are 100 managers who do things 100 different ways and sell different products each. Some of them are downright nasty and crazy. Most of the male managers talk down to the agents like they are better than them and forgot where they came from. Funny, they make their money off the classic $16-an hour average Joe or Jane singing up for a policy in large groups yet want to act like they are better than people if those people's children or people like them want to work there. Some let their agents write on their old accounts to get them started financially, some don't.

Most of these managers got into Aflac when it was newer to New York and easier to make money before business owners got fed up with being firebombed by a horrendous number of Aflac calls and visits. There are 7 agents competing for one company, then they want you to go out and recruit more agents to bring that number up to 35 per business. It's a pyramid scheme and the managers are not focused on longevity, because the accounts you make get turned completely over to your nasty manager if you quit within the first few years, which nearly most do. So if a manager can find a mere 10 SUCKERS a year to go out and get one account each for his sneaky scheme, that's 10 free accounts he gets to keep each year and builds up excellent amount of money for him to live off of after dragging you through the mud and torturing you like the little minion you are. DON'T sign up for a policy or get your former employer to, they just want to use you and get at least that out of you. The business owners constantly push off enrollments and throw off your income for the month, some of the agents became homeless no kidding.

One thing to note is that there are NO REAL MEN, I repeat, NO REAL MEN that work there. The male managers are all like gossipy grade school girls and gossip more than the women. The women acted decent, the males were a whole different ball game. They say the opposite of what they said the day before, if an agent believes in themself, they say you are not good enough to have anything to be happy about, if an agent is down on themselves, they say you should be more positive, contradicting what they said earlier. No matter what you say, they just say the opposite, they are effeminate manginas who always want to be at war with their agents.

They would never survive on a camping trip with REAL men like engineers or doctors, this is why they stay safely tucked in the office in their dresses and skirts. Some of the mangers train, some don't, then want to tell you at the last minute what you COULD have done better when you are on your way out the door, when they COULD have just helped you in the first place! The agents who are real men never come to the office and work from home because they are too embarrassed to be in the same room with such an embarrassment to the male gene code. I have never seen a more mismanaged negative company in my life! I don't know if Dan Amos knows his managers are this nasty or not. This could be alleviated by denying a manager residuals of any agent that does not stay a full year, then they would be FORCED to act like decent human beings. The managers are not even smart, just got lucky and memorized 4 brochures that happened to pay a lot of money at the right time at the introduction of Aflac to New York.

So many agents come here happy and motivated only to be thrown off course by the way Aflac operates. Many of the male managers are on drugs and come flying through the door crashing down from a meth induced ice pony or whatever the latest loser drug is. Perhaps the state of New York should start drug testing males and see how long these nutty managers think it's cute to "coddle" their "harsh" (eyeroll) lives with drugs. That's RIGHT, test the males ONLY because you never saw the women show up to work high, so why waste testing dollars for political correctness.

Fairness is a must, so to be fair, the good parts about Aflac are the agents are very supportive of each other, the commission is decent, the offices are nice, and if you have kids you won't miss their soccer games. However, you might miss being able to put food in their mouths.

2. "Benefit consultants"

I worked at Aflac (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice product I can how it does help families in need

Cons

Management never seems satisfied with their recruitments and are so unprofessional

Advice to Management

Better training from their district managers

"Horrible benefits and no training"

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Aflac full-time

Pros

Flexible hours for sales agents

Cons

No benefits, Lack of Senior Managment, unethical and vindictive employees. It was a competition between employees to out sell one anther. Being a new employee, I had little opportunity for growth.

Advice to Management

Train Train Train your sales agents and give them benefits. Your an insurance company. I felt that paying for Aflac insurance through my sales compensation was terrible. Care for your employees better and then you wouldn't have such a high turnover!!!

5. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Estero, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Estero, FL

I worked at Aflac full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are none. You get to hear how much the management is making every monday and clap for hours

Cons

This is a job that over promises and under pays. If you have the money to not make money for a couple years. No training, just get you hired to get accounts from your family and friends. Beware

Advice to Management

Stop taking advantage of hard workers. And just using them for your gain

"Cheap company"

I have been working at Aflac full-time

Pros

Work life balance and slow working paces

Cons

Low pay, lack of training, out of dated techniques, hard to attract and maintain talents

7. "Intern"

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at Aflac as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Make your own schedule, High Commisions

Cons

You essentially are a telemarketer. Before I start this review I would like to say I was very successful in my internship and was ranked very highly company wide. With that being said, Aflac really tries to sell their company to you, instead of you having to sell yourself to them. You have to basically go down the phone book and call businesses, all cold calling and very disheartening. There is also no coordination between the sales staff, so i often found myself dealing with angry HR reps because someone from Aflac had already called that day.

Advice to Management

Coordinate Sales Territories

8. "Beware of Independent Contractor Positions"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Aflac as a contractor

Pros

None that I could think of. Well...you might like working here if you like working for no paycheck at all. Do you like sitting in a cubicle all day cold-calling potential clients selling "voluntary benefits" only to get cursed at and get hung up on? If so, an Aflac sales agent career is for you! Go and live the Aflac dream, make no money, and you will wind up quite poor as well. Here's one last pathetic pro about this job. You get to wear a suit and tie to work everyday but feel like a broke shmuck at the same time working for no pay.

Cons

Absolutely no base pay and is an all-commission job that will suck your expenses dry. Expect to pay for your own gas, food, sales materials, and have the life sucked out of you. You will be driving all around the state selling health "voluntary benefits" to small businesses that have been called upon multiple times by other Aflac agents. The business owners don't want to see your face because you're soliciting Aflac products that they don't want. You will also be sitting in your cubicle all day pounding the phones cold-calling small businesses that have been called hundreds of times by other Aflac agents. Prepare to be cussed at on a daily basis and hung up on! There is a reason why Aflac agents wash out after three months of working for the white duck. You will most likely need another backup job to pay the bills because Aflac will suck you dry financially. When I interviewed at Aflac, my district coordinator told me most first year agents made over $50,000 in commissions. Man...this guy was some liar and fibber! When I did not make my first quarter sales from not selling enough Aflac health policies my district sales coordinator....get this...made me buy several policies for myself so he could make his monthly sales contest payout quota! Left the place that day and never went back after that fiasco. Terminated every single Aflac policy that evening and will never work for another all-commission sales based job again!

Advice to Management

Don't mislead potential job applicants at insurance sales agent interviews and tell them they're walking into a dream career. Offer new starting agents a base salary so they're not coming to work every day working for nothing.

9. "Multi Level Company"

I have been working at Aflac full-time

Pros

There are no pros. Aflac hires you so you will bring them accounts(friends & family) and then you will quite once the management does not want to help you make money anymore. Once you quit all the accounts you get will be passed on to your Manager and they will make money off your account for years to come. Excellent business idea = 1099 employee + quits after no money = Aflac keeps the several accounts you brought. Go work for combined they pay a base salary.

Cons

Way to many to list. Aflac sold me on the interview when saying "You will be your own boss" which is the first lie they told me. If you are your own boss than why do you have to go to meetings and awards ceremonies when you are not getting paid for all of it.

Advice to Management

Stop telling lies to people. There are no Bonuses and you will make your employees drive to events and meetings even though they are not being paid. Stop the LIES!!!

"Absolutely horrid experience"

Former Employee - New Business Development in New York, NY
    Former Employee - New Business Development in New York, NY

I worked at Aflac full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can get residuals....only if you write business though!

Cons

There were so many....frat like mentality, disrespectful to women and minorities, most top management live in the past (and on their past residuals) so have less than little interest in training/developing new recruits.

Advice to Management

Save for a handful of upper management, most district coordinators are so bad and know NOTHING about the business they are in. How is this a Pro-because you HAVE to learn certain tools to get yourself out of there. Case in point, I became awesome at cold calling, a skill valued anywhere else, because no one cared to help. I was a lone female working long hours at the office, and not a single one thought to give me advice, words of wisdom, mentoring. Women are NOT meant to be sexually harassed or objectified, and that was all I mostly got. Never again. You guys are going to have to deal with the waning pool of talent in the next few years, mark my words.
    Peace, and I'm glad I got out (and still get decent residuals every now and then, thanks to MY OWN EFFORTS-my own accounts I went out and closed.

"No morals ! Horrible company! Don't let them fool you"

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Producer in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Producer in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Aflac full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can work your own hours sometimes

Cons

Work hard so others get paid . Treat people with no ethical code whatsoever. Pyramid scheme! They give a great sales pitch to get you to drop everything and sign up with them. Promise you great things but it's you who will work to pad their pockets. Don't work for these people, you'd be better off flipping burgers.

Advice to Management

Treat associates well instead of using them to make your salary.

Showing 311 of 1,789 reviews