Aflac Reviews | Glassdoor

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos
Dan Amos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No base salary, minimal training (in 78 reviews)

• Aflac does not offer a base salary, it is 100% commission pay (in 106 reviews)

"There has to be another way to make a living."

Current Employee - Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Agent in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

If you want to make a serious income you have to LOVE and embrace cold calling and the ensuing rejections. Otherwise, as a supplement it is a very flexible work opportunity.

Cons

This is a straight commission job, folks. Some of the agents are unethical towards other agents and the public. The selling is rote and very script driven.

Advice to Management

After the last 2 months, it must be obvious that you have not been transparent enough for the market. Without assigning blame, that should be a warning sign. Agents are told how conservative the investment strategy is but the company keeps racking up above standard profits. That is a red flag.

"MOST STRESSFUL JOB-"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, GA

Pros

Benefits for full time employees, non for part time (even if they are tenured)

Cons

Lack of Respect, Tremendous Stress, No Promotions, Unable to leave call center, Treated as Children (always watched, child games for recognition such as stamps on a certificate), Unreasonable Requests, Will NOT work with schedules regarding personal life (for school or kids or family), Does not promote within, Supervisors are clueless, Constant Changes, Systems always down, Too many bugs in system, Cannot participate in company events as we are TIED to phone,

Advice to Management

Offer FLEXIBLE schedules for full and part time employees- not everyone wants to be FORCED to work the same schedule forever.
    Take college classes into consideration.
    Stop with the childlike rewards programs, duck feet stamps are not cute over 12 years of age.
    Before rolling a program or new system- work out the bugs.
    Stop bringing in people from other departments for promotions- especially when they don't know the job.
    Let people OUT of the call center- PROMOTE THEM.
    Follow your own rules- we're told follow the promotion schedule yet spec IIIs are promoted to leads without having to be spec IVs, supervisors are brought in without having degrees yet the job requirement asks for one.
    Give benefits to all tenured employees- even the part timers.
    Offer flexible schedules- such as one day I may work 8-5 another day 11-8- GIVE US A CHOICE.
    Bring in new management- 99% of sups and managers couldn't handle a day on the phone because they don't know the answers. So how are they supposed to help us?
    Get new staff for employee relations- the current procedure of the first few apps to a job get looked at is ridiculous. It's basically the first to apply may get the job. Also it's not helpful that the entire Employee Relations Dept is on Facebook sharing pics of partying and hanging out- can't respect that.

"No territory, oversaturated sales area"

Former Employee - Aflac Representative in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Aflac Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

$150 for licensing and some office supplies to start. You're not an employee, so no benefits or expense coverage.

Cons

No territories. Every place I went 5 Aflac sales reps had been there in the past year. After I got my license, the local Aflac execs told me that only 1 in 28 salespeople make it Called on 100+ businesses a week and virtually all had seen 5 or 6 sales people. Only made a few sales. Didn't even cover my gas money. After I left, they sent me a note asking for my commissions back!! Avoid these guys like the plague unless you have a ton of relatives and friends you can sell to in your area.

Advice to Management

Give people territories. The free-for-all method might have worked initially, but you're not going to get salepeople loyalty when you offer them no security.

"Horrible- Stay away!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Marriottsville, MD
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Marriottsville, MD

Pros

You can really pick your own hours. You decide when, where, and how long you will work for every week.

Cons

Compensation is horrible
    Upper staff takes a large cut of commission
    Upper staff takes advantage of the lower staff workers
    Little to no respect in the office
    No way to get help fro superiors

Advice to Management

There is no one actually running the office- there are no rules or codes of conduct. Someone needs to take management training and properly run the office.

"Worked with some "shady" people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD

Pros

Work schedule was flexible; you could basically set up how and when you wanted to work. Opportunity to make money and move up was there, if you made the company money, you made money, and you were promoted. Aflac is a good product that you could feel good representing and selling.

Cons

After about a month I realized that this was a churn-and-burn factory. Every day they would cold-call people and companies to get new business and new employees. It was purely a numbers game and I felt “dirty” every day I left work. Everybody is hired and used for who they know to buy product. No “real” training. Management loves the money makers and to hell with the rest. No “trained” managers, just the best volume sellers promoted to a management position. Managing means you are in charge of printing the cold-call list. I felt I worked with some scummy people that would do anything for a buck.

Advice to Management

Learn what it really means to manage. Don’t just hire any warm body. Teach employees how to sale, network, and generate business.

"This has been the worst job experience in all my years of working."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conway, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conway, AR

Pros

It is above a restaurant.

Cons

No one cares if you fail.

"Insurance producer"

I worked at Aflac full-time

Pros

If able to sell high commission are available . Create your own book no micro managing

Cons

There is no territory. Don't always get paid. Tells you things that are not true.

"Legal pyramid scheme of modern days"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Aflac part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Make millions if you can trick people into buying a useless insurance.

Cons

Pay from your pocket for using office phone, pencil, printer, or scanner. Bathrooms are free. Insurance plans are tricky with tons of fine print to avoid payouts. I felt as if i was lying when I was selling Aflac insurance and quit after a few months.

Advice to Management

Do not hire sincere people.

"Awesome until the last two years of a 10+ year career"

I worked at Aflac (More than 10 years)

Pros

People, fun, exciting, great trips, & well paid if you work.

Cons

The People...... yep the Peter Principle is alive and well at Aflac

Advice to Management

For 55+ years Aflac had a history of strong loyalty to their field sales force that included solid compensation to their sales reps and managers. Now, they have lost their way as they embrace other distribution channels to build sales.

2nd, there are way to many management coordinators in the "good ole boys" network that can maintain their positions with Gross Sales vs Net Sales Annual Premium.

Example: Say I was a car salesman at a dealership and sold 10 cars for the month.

I am considered awesome at the company. Challenge was in the following month 4 of the cars were returned and only the initial downpayment was received.

My NET sales were really just 6 cars but I won the awards for best salesperson, the trips, the contests, etc.... all based on the 10 cars sold. A small businessman figures it out and fires the car salesman......at the Duck....hmmmm.

"Working in a sea of ants"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at Aflac full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you were in their favor, they would give you deals that came in or
    that came up after someone had left because of the huge turnover.

Cons

There were so many people working there that you would walk in a company's door and three people had already been there at 10 in the morning.
    Management would hire their wives and give them percentages of your deals as splits when they hadn't been involved in the deal. Heck, they probably hadn't been out of their house that day.
    Companies hang up on you constantly or tell you to get out of their business because they are so tired of Aflac reps continuously bothering them, telling them the same thing over and over..

Advice to Management

Grow up and start acting like a real company. You may not realize it, but your actions will catch up with you in time..

Showing 822 of 1,935 reviews