Age of Learning Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2020

3.2
Age of Learning CEO Paul Candland (no image)
Paul Candland
1 Rating
Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management does not communicate with team members nearly enough(in 13 reviews)

• "People who wanted to do agile the right way were let go and developers were blamed for project delays(in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Impact + Growth"

Current Employee - Manager in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Age of Learning full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's rare to find an organization that's assembled a world-class team of professionals; that's strongly committed to improving the world (in our case, by helping educate kids everywhere, including those furthest from opportunity); and that's having real success executing on its mission at scale. We recently had a new CEO join, and the future is bright.

Cons

The company sometimes tries to do too many things at once. Lately there's been an increased focus on successfully growing a smaller number of initiatives, which is great.

Age of Learning Response

Thank you so much for your review, AND your 5+ years of dedication to our organization! During that time, you have seen the tremendous amount of growth we have experienced as an organization first-hand, and words cannot adequately express how much we appreciate all you have done to contribute our success. We couldn’t agree more that our future is bright as we proceed to scale and grow our business. If the number of projects/initiatives start to move back to high volumes that affects your ability to perform your job successfully, please feel free to address this concern with your manager or, should the issue persist, you can always escalate the concern to your HR Business Partner. - Age of Learning Team

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Age of Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great mission, and great place to voice your thoughts.

Cons

Sometimes too many tasks are expected to be completed in short time.

Age of Learning Response

First, thank you so much for your 3-4 years with Age of Learning! We greatly appreciate your hard work during the time you have been here. We are glad to hear you are encouraged by our mission and that you feel comfortable voicing your thoughts and contributing to our efforts. However, if you continue to feel that there are too many tasks on your plate, we encourage you to bring up the topic with your manager during your next 1-1 meeting! - Age of Learning Team

"Nope, turn away!!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Producer in Glendale, CA

I worked at Age of Learning full-time

Pros

None. This place has none.

Cons

Cult culture. Fear of losing job

"A great place to start your career"

4.0
    Former Employee - Administrative

I worked at Age of Learning full-time

Pros

Amazing, caring, talented colleagues; interesting and solidly performing products; overall a positive place to work, with people who really care about making a difference in education.

Cons

Upper management could be doing a lot more to improve transparency and morale.

"Less about quality engineering, more about politics"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Glendale, CA

I worked at Age of Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

Inspiring educational products Nice office perks

Cons

Very poor company culture High engineer turnover rate Poor engineering standards Political jostling, you definitely have to watch your back here

"Fine short term work."

2.0
    Former Employee - Manager in Glendale, CA

I worked at Age of Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of nice people and you can feel good about the product.

Cons

Bad management and direction. Plans and ways of working change all the time. Teams are pitted against each other rather than set up to work together.

"Its aite"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Age of Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

Laid back atmosphere Too much sugar (cakes, ice cream)

Cons

Not a whole lot of growth. Too much sugar (cakes, ice cream)

Age of Learning Response

We appreciate your feedback! Our HR team has crafted career paths for the various discipline areas we employee and we do everything we can to set our staff up for professional growth and success. We encourage you to talk to your manager during your next 1:1 about your long term career goals and if you have any questions feel free to reach out to your HR Business Partner for additional support.

"Good People, Bad Company"

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Glendale, CA

I worked at Age of Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Pays above minimum wage. * Fantastic benefits. * Clean bathrooms. * Nice views. * Products company creates are great.

Cons

* Shady billing and marketing practices. * Can't ask for help from management without being berated.

Continue reading

"The Age of Passive Aggressive Behavior"

1.0
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Glendale, CA

I worked at Age of Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free birthday cake doesn't offset the unprofessional and toxic atmosphere.

Cons

This was a total waste of my time and energy. I was brought in to work on graphics and digital color and ended up in a department of passive aggressive women who never once said I was a problem or was performing poorly. I suddenly found myself out of a job with no warning or notice. HR never spoke about any 'problem behavior' and when I asked why I was being let go, HR said "it wasn't working out". "Can you be more specific?" Her reply was, "No, I don't have to." I then told her this was one of the worst places I'd ever worked and left the building. The termination totally side-swiped me and I was so angry and confused as to why I was kicked out and not given a reason why. Also, the corporate culture was condescending and the place ran like an elementary school. You had to take lunch at 12:00 and come back at 1:00, no exceptions. That's no way to treat adults. The turnover was astronomical and I saw six solid employees quit or get fired in the short time I was there.

Continue reading

"Great place to work. Good work environment"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Glendale, CA

I worked at Age of Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

The AOFL Interactive department has a great culture. The people there are fun to work with, and the management knows how to let people get things done. The team is excited about games, and really know what they are doing.

Cons

Hour can seem long (9:30-6:30), sometimes inter-department issues get in the way of making games,

Found 171 reviews