Agency 451 Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
AJ Gerritson & Nicholas Lowe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Cliquey - I could tell you the names of the three other people on my team, but no one else (in 4 reviews)

• t learn anything about social media, the interns agreed the work was lame busy work that dragged (in 3 reviews)

1. "Small yet BIG"

I have been working at Agency 451 full-time

Pros

Small agency feel with big potential. You feel like you're making a difference. Senior management and partners are great.

Cons

Pay is competitive yet on the lower end.

2. "Positive place to work but lacking in some communication basics."

Former Employee - Art Director in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Art Director in Boston, MA

Pros

Supportive management, work/life balance, opportunities for women, flexibility.

Cons

A few too many junior-level resources, and lack of diversity of experience

Advice to Management

Communication is great but can always be better

"Average"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at Agency 451 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Cool clients
    -Work-life balance
    -Agency closes early before long weekends/holidays

Cons

-Cliquey - I could tell you the names of the three other people on my team, but no one else. No one makes an effort to communicate with anyone outside of their team. People are also pretty catty here - I felt like I was in middle school and not in a professional setting. I can only speak to my team since I did not interact with other teams - my friend works on the creative team now and loves her team, so I can't speak to the agency as a whole.

-My team did average work - I was never motivated to do great work and had no one to look up to professionally.

-Lack of management - no real leaders on the team, did not feel comfortable going to my manager, who was the EVP - pretty large gap between an AE and EVP... I'm pretty independent, but need an environment where I'm constantly learning.

Advice to Management

Collaborate more among teams other than your own. Invest in your junior employee's growth, otherwise they will leave and find somewhere where they have support and opportunity.

4. "Consumer PR Intern"

Pros

Great team, good projects, learned a lot

Cons

no compensation for the interns

Dec 8, 2016 – HR Generalist

We are happy that you had a great intern experience and that you were able to gain valuable knowledge during your time here. We have received similar suggestions from other past interns regarding... More

5. "Great Culture, Opportunities to Learn"

I have been working at Agency 451 full-time

Pros

Great culture, opportunities to learn, partners really care about your career growth

Cons

Somewhat tough to meet people on other teams.

Aug 31, 2016 – HR Generalist

Thank you for being part of the 451 Intern program. The success of our interns is really important to us.

"Opportunities to work, but clique-y environment"

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Agency 451 (Less than a year)

Pros

Some people were nice, I learned about media lists and press releases. It wasn't all a waste, but I definitely felt like I was just there to make the company look better for having interns.

Cons

As an intern, I was hoping to be sitting in on meetings/conference calls and take notes. I didn't sit in on one client meeting. Every morning I did the work no one else wanted to do, sometimes I ran errands to CVS and once, someone actually referred to me as, "the intern". I'm not saying I'm above doing any of this since I was the least experienced but there really needed to be more give and take. Very clique-y overall.

Advice to Management

If you want interns to do the work nobody else wants to do, you need to pay them. Or give them valuable experience they could take with them and use as a talking point in an interview or gain necessary skills.

Aug 31, 2016 – HR Generalist

We appreciate your feedback on our intern program. We are continuously trying to mold the program to make is better for all interns so we take comments and suggests to heart. We are pleased that you... More

"PR hospitality internship"

Pros

nice team to work with

Cons

All internships are unpaid and interns are recycled

Advice to Management

give more work to interns

Aug 31, 2016 – HR Generalist

Thank you for participating in our Intern program! Our Intern program is ever evolving so that we can make it better so we appreciate your feedback.

"Work hard, play hard"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA

I have been working at Agency 451 full-time

Pros

-Great coworkers who are always willing to help each other out and have fun together -- I've made lots of close friends through work. Everyone really knows the meaning of 'work hard, play hard'.
    -Good client list -- Some clients are more exciting than some but management usually doesn't put up with a lot of BS from clients if they can help it.
    -Lots of room for growth -- People who work hard get promoted quicker than I've seen at other agencies. Lots of people have been here a long time.
    -Good opportunities -- Managers usually seem to be open to letting us try new things or do things outside our job description if we show the interest. I don't usually hear 'no'.
    -Open doors -- Most managers are really approachable and don't sit in offices with their doors closed. Partners are nice and outgoing and talk to everyone when they're around..
    -Growing company -- In the short time I've been here all teams have grown a lot and we've gotten some bigger and better clients.
    -Snacks!!! -- A small perk but snacks have gotten way better over the last year.

Cons

-If you're looking for an easy job, this probably isn't it. It's lots of hard work but I've learned more than any other role I've been in. I think the work load is similar to other agencies. Work/life balance has improved a lot since 2015 employee survey.
    -Salaries are a bit lower than other agencies it seems.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees and helping everyone find a good work life balance, letting us know you value us.

9. "Amazing Culture, Opportunity to Learn & Grow Your Career"

Current Employee - SEO Department in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - SEO Department in Boston, MA

I have been working at Agency 451 full-time

Pros

At 451 Marketing, there is a large opportunity for growth and paving your own career path. For five days a week you are surrounded by some of the smartest people in digital marketing, all who are readily available to help answer questions or educate fellow colleagues. Our laid back and friendly atmosphere makes coming to work enjoyable. Innovative meeting areas featuring couches, bean bags, farm tables and white boards allow for a more collaborative environment which benefits our broad range of clients. Other pros include: dog friendly, smoothie bar, bottomless Polar seltzers, location & integration. It's rare you find this many people in one company who have a passion for digital marketing. You actually learn something new (if not multiple things) a day.

Cons

Smaller teams can sometimes mean wearing multiple hats and getting pulled in many different directions. While that can be difficult for some people, it is beneficial for overall career and personal development.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep communication open as much as possible and try to maintain our small-agency atmosphere, even as we continue to grow.

Apr 26, 2016 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your great review! We are happy that you are having a positive experience here at 451 Marketing. We take pride in being able to sustain a relaxed yet effective environment for all our... More

10. "Amazing company with endless opportunities for growth"

Former Employee - PR Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - PR Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at Agency 451 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I spent over two years on the PR team at 451 Marketing, and I had an exceptional experience. I got the job shortly after graduating from college, and I cannot imagine a better place to kick off my professional marketing career and learn an insane amount in such a short period of time. What originally drew me to this company was not only the array of clients, but how fast the company itself was growing - it was really exciting to be instrumental in that growth. Within one year of working at 451, I was promoted - this company takes the time to invest in you as a person, and if you prove yourself and work hard, you can move up pretty quickly and take your career to new heights. Your hard work does not go unnoticed.

One of my favorites parts of 451 was the staff and company culture. I was blown away by how easy it was to access upper management - there was rarely a day when the partners (AJ, Tom, Nick, and Francis) weren't walking around chatting with everyone and making themselves available. I felt as if my opinion was really valued and my voice never got lost in the mix. We did a lot of fun things as a company (kickball games, cook-outs, bowling, summer outings, dinners, etc) which made us all closer and feel like one big family. I also had an insanely talented boss who put her heart and soul into her team and clients; she invested so much time in me, making sure I exceeded my goals and constantly helping me grow as a person. Working with her was priceless to me - I believe I learned more in two years than most people do in a decade in the PR field. As a young professional, being surrounded by such a variety of talented, caring, and welcoming individuals was phenomenal.

Cons

No real cons. I believe as this company grows, they will continue to show the heart and passion that makes 451 so special.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You have managed to make working for such a successful company so much fun, and if I didn't move out of state I would really want to plant my roots and grow with 451 for a very long time.

Apr 26, 2016 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your positive feedback about 451 Marketing. We are very proud that we have cultivated a company culture that many enjoy walking into every morning. Our employees are our priority and we... More