Agency for the Performing Arts Reviews | Glassdoor

James Gosnell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Assistant to Agent"

I have been working at Agency for the Performing Arts full-time

Pros

Exposure to all facets of entertainment, not just your dept.
    Smaller than the other agencies with aspirations to grow thanks to the new leadership.
    Due to size, you get to meet every person in the company.
    Doesn't have the cold corporate structure that bigger agencies like CAA has, allowing space for experimenting in different dept.
    Paid time off, holiday pays.
    The sky is the limit once you are an agent.

Cons

Pay is low, but thats entertainment... Make it up in overtime some times.

"Gets your foot in the door, but get out quick"

I have been working at Agency for the Performing Arts full-time

Pros

Networking environment, big company, lots of people to meet, free coffee and tea, can get tickets to screenings and performances from clients. If you get one of the rare good bosses then you might be okay.

Cons

Toxic environments, agents are demanding and insensitive, generally misogynistic, homophobic and racist. They have no loyalty and don't value you.

Advice to Management

Expand the HR team, don't hire terrible human beings to be agents, overhaul the mailroom system

3. "Overworked, underpaid"

Former Employee - Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Agency for the Performing Arts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall experience working in the entertainment industry

Cons

Toxic work environment with many agents with big egos and no patience and rage issues. Over worked for little pay. Vacation days are vague. HR department non existent.

Advice to Management

Stop being cheap and pay your assistants! Have an employee handbook.

"Highly Don't Reccomend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Agency for the Performing Arts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I got to grow my career here but with zero help from anyone minus the opportunity from the CEO. If you are a self starter with a thick skin you will be able to use this as a stepping stone.

Cons

More cons than hours in the day to talk about them. Sexism, nepotism, terrible client list, terrible agents, zero work life balance, pay WELL below industry standard, this place is a living breathing liability in every sense of the word. The amount of lawsuits that hit this place are insane. Their legal team is close to incompetent. The only team worse is HR bc their isn't a team it is one person who is till there bc of a shady past. Women are not bonused out here while the me are. It's really insane. There was a massive class action suit brewing a year or so ago. Not sure what happened there but it will hit or another, much larger one will. They also turn a blind eye to employees committing felonies.

Advice to Management

Cash out your shares and get out while this place still appears to stand.

5. "Not a good place to work"

I worked at Agency for the Performing Arts full-time

Pros

If you're at assistant level, the other assistants are great for the most part.

Cons

No respect for lower level employees whatsoever and the pay is terrible. What you are paid is so not worth the work you have to put in.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more respect and you wouldn't have so much turnover.

6. "Worst company to work for"

Current Employee - Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Agency for the Performing Arts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can't think of anything great about this company except maybe the holiday party at the end of year? Maybe.

Cons

Everything about this company is terrible. Just don't consider working there or you will become suicidal.
    Low pay, no respect, no promotions, no good clientele.

Advice to Management

Promote great people in the company. This place has very high turnover yet manager doesn't care. Have you asked what employees want???

7. "Climbed the ladder"

I worked at Agency for the Performing Arts full-time

Pros

Good opportunity for upward growth (depending on your skillset/personality); fast-paced; lots of great learning opportunities; good camaraderie among assistants

Cons

Can be hard to address concerns with management/HR; same issues as most/all agencies have (difficult personalities, minimum wage pay even after promotions, long hours, etc.)

Advice to Management

Provide employees with clearer means to address concerns

"Music Department - Asked to stop recording my overtime"

Former Employee - Agent Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Agent Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Agency for the Performing Arts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Family-like environment with most workers

Cons

Boss told me he didn't believe in me the first week (that's not an encouraging tactic). After busting my butt and working 10-11 hour days, he told me to stop recording my overtime because "you have to think about the company before you think about yourself". With being paid a measly $13/hr, I was appalled. I asked to set up a meeting before work one of the days to talk about this and he agreed, but when the time came he never showed up. I texted him and all he had to say was "we don't have time for that". I quit that same day so he proceeded to call HR in front of the office and tell them that "my assistant has anxiety issues and cant handle this job... I'm not worried, I'm going to call up my actual first choice I meant to go with." I dealt with his insults maturely and didn't cause a scene, but I wish I had. This job was one of the WORST experiences I've ever dealt with. I highly suggest anyone that has any self respect gets to know who they're working for and it's unfortunate that he ruined my perception of APA.

Advice to Management

Quit acting on the mentality of "employees are replaceable". Actually care about your employees.

9. "Good Start"

Pros

Great place to start your career and learn what it's like to work at an agency.

Cons

Growth is very slow and pay is low.

10. "Great People, Great Culture, Unlivable Salary"

Former Employee - Agent Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Agent Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Agency for the Performing Arts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people who work at APA are incredible. They're motivated, dedicated, and fun to be around from the senior agents down to the mail room staff. If you're an assistant, the agents really want you to learn and grow, and are generally happy to help you in those endeavors.

Cons

The assistant salary is unlivable in NYC and LA. So, unless you come from a wealthy family (as most of the assistants I encountered do,) be willing to live that ramen life for a few years.

Advice to Management

If you want to keep assistants around longer, or have a more diverse applicant base, you may want to provide a living wage for lower-level employees.