Agency for the Performing Arts Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
James Gosnell

1. "Great People, Great Culture, Unlivable Salary"

Former Employee - Agent Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Agent Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Agency for the Performing Arts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people who work at APA are incredible. They're motivated, dedicated, and fun to be around from the senior agents down to the mail room staff. If you're an assistant, the agents really want you to learn and grow, and are generally happy to help you in those endeavors.

Cons

The assistant salary is unlivable in NYC and LA. So, unless you come from a wealthy family (as most of the assistants I encountered do,) be willing to live that ramen life for a few years.

Advice to Management

If you want to keep assistants around longer, or have a more diverse applicant base, you may want to provide a living wage for lower-level employees.

"Music Department - Asked to stop recording my overtime"

Former Employee - Agent Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Agent Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Agency for the Performing Arts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Family-like environment with most workers

Cons

Boss told me he didn't believe in me the first week (that's not an encouraging tactic). After busting my butt and working 10-11 hour days, he told me to stop recording my overtime because "you have to think about the company before you think about yourself". With being paid a measly $13/hr, I was appalled. I asked to set up a meeting before work one of the days to talk about this and he agreed, but when the time came he never showed up. I texted him and all he had to say was "we don't have time for that". I quit that same day so he proceeded to call HR in front of the office and tell them that "my assistant has anxiety issues and cant handle this job... I'm not worried, I'm going to call up my actual first choice I meant to go with." I dealt with his insults maturely and didn't cause a scene, but I wish I had. This job was one of the WORST experiences I've ever dealt with. I highly suggest anyone that has any self respect gets to know who they're working for and it's unfortunate that he ruined my perception of APA.

Advice to Management

Quit acting on the mentality of "employees are replaceable". Actually care about your employees.

3. "There is nothing lower than here"

Former Employee - Agent in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Agent in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

Location in Bev Hills is good. That's about it. Doesn't really matter about the location, no one that matters ever comes to the office.

Cons

What wasn't a con. In every aspect of the word. This place went from horrible to god awful. To say 90% of people there have no clue what they are doing would be a massive understatement. Not only that back 90% of the employees there do nothing but talk poorly about all of their"clients" and if anything mock the industry. ZERO work life balance. At least at WME I had no work life balance with great employees and amazing clients. Here is the blind leading the blind with a horrible roster. Careers of both clients and employees die within APA.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like you ate growing and changing when you are doing neither. Your department heads are some of the most incompetent people on the planet. Even the CEO's own children quit the company. No one believes in this company based on the staff the company has believed in.

4. "Good Company but not a place to grow a career."

Former Employee - Agent Assistant in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Agent Assistant in Nashville, TN

I worked at Agency for the Performing Arts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good group of people. Office environment is laid back and easy going.

Cons

To grow and be a big player within the industry it will need to make changes. No real effort to grow beyond what they are. The veteran agents do not help grow relationships with managers, labels and publishers. Happy just booking old acts. Which is fine if that's what you want to do for your career.

Advice to Management

Promote the right people. There is a reason you have a lot of turnover.

5. "Staff Accountant"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in New York, NY

I worked at Agency for the Performing Arts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent one-on-one training, gained an extraordinary amount of experience in Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Month-ending adjusting entries, and the importance of teamwork.

Cons

Not much downside in general. I left primary to focus on furthering my education, studying for my GMAT and getting into the graduate school I wish to be in while seeking for a position at a bigger firm to expand my accounting knowledge.

Advice to Management

Great staff, would love to keep working with the company if I did not attempt to pursue my masters degree at that moment.

6. "Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Agency for the Performing Arts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great exposure to the industry. Make great contacts.

Cons

Long hours. High stress. Constant work needing to be done after hours and on the weekends.

Advice to Management

N/A

7. "Assistant"

Current Employee - Agent Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Agent Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I really do love working here. APA is big enough agency to have a strong effect on the entertainment industry, but small enough to actually get to know everyone. Plus, you get to do actual agent work, and not be a mindless robot assistant like one of the bigger agencies.

Cons

Long hours sometimes, but that's like a lot of the entertainment business. The pay isn't much, but as cliche as it is, you get paid in experience.

Advice to Management

As with any job, more money would be appreciated. Also, maybe more events as a whole company? A company retreat would be awesome, and would let everyone connect.

8. "One of the more laid back Agency's compared to WME, ICM, or UTA."

Former Employee - Talent Agent Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Talent Agent Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Agency for the Performing Arts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to become an agent if you can find clients and bring in money.

Cons

No more than any other agency. Rub shoulders with the right people. Be detail oriented, know the market, make people like you, and bring in money. You'll be a golden calf, and you'll be treated like it within 5 years. Delayed gratification but that's likely anywhere you work.

Advice to Management

Protect your interests, but they know how to already.

"Agencies are hard places to work, but this one's a little easier--and less respected."

Current Employee - Agent's Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Agent's Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

While working at the agency, you meet a lot of others in the entertainment field and many move up in the field after working there. APA also promotes from within, so it's a good place to start if you want to be an agent. Compared to other agencies, APA is extremely laid back and employees are generally treated with respect. Agents' doors are always open.

Cons

As at any agency, the pay is very low and hours can be very long. I regularly worked 10-11 hour days. The agents are working in a competitive industry and are always trying to get ahead. Their stress gets passed on to their assistants, so the job is nerve-wracking and agents sometimes yell. Since APA is not as well-respected as other agencies, it might be harder to get a higher paying job after working there. I changed industries after working there, so I don't know.

Advice to Management

Senior Management tries to encourage low-level employees to talk with agents and to encourage a more relaxed environment. I think it achieves that, but it needs to work on establishing clear guidelines for procedures and a way for new employees to learn the guidelines. Not understanding the guidelines makes it impossible to do one's job and makes the agents furious, obviously.

It should hire more support staff so procedures can be followed and all work can be done effectively.

10. "Great internship!"

Pros

The internship program is really what you make it! Great people and great atmosphere. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot.

Cons

It's a lot of office work, but that's to be expected.