Agilent Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Agilent Technologies President/CEO Mike McMullen
Mike McMullen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • They talk a lot about work life balance but don't really seem to understand that you can't work 60 (in 21 reviews)

• Low Visibility to Upper Management when employed at production facilities (in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"GREAT recruiter, interview, and onboarding process!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From initial contact to my first day as a new employee (and to present day), the recruiter and hiring manager communicated clearly about the process and where I stood. They followed through on every commitment to "check in"--prior to committed timelines--surprising and surpassing my expectations every step of the way.

I haven't figured out how I will leave my mark or "change the world", but I'm proud to work for a company that is. From technologies helping to cure cancer, to testing food, pharmaceutical, environment and chemicals, Agilent's technologies ARE helping make the world a better place to live, and advancing the quality of life.

So far, all I have experienced is good. I am rating a few categories only four stars to show that there are a few that have been "off the charts." e.g. I have never had a manager focus so much on my work/life balance, well-being, and things like flexibility to deal with Silicon Valley traffic (nightmarish). I was also pleasantly surprised to learn new employees start with up to three weeks' time off per year--and beginning Jan. 1 2017, it will bump up to FOUR weeks off per year (pro-rated for partial year).

Cons

After working for high tech companies for 20+ years, I can honestly say that, while I'm only 90 days "in", I have not experienced a downside or "Con" yet: This truly has been an amazing place to work. Most days, when the door clicks after swiping my badge, I think, "I can't believe I get to work here."

Agilent Technologies Response

Dec 8, 2016 – Global Talent Acquisition Branding Intern

Welcome to Agilent! Thank you for providing early feedback. We’re glad you are off to a great start. Innovation happens in our teams and you drive our ability to build the products that help our... More

"Agilent review from mid level agilent manager"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineering Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineering Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

profesional, positive work environment, work life balance for most employees

Cons

mid-tier salaries, few women or minorities in senior management

Advice to Management

need to remove barriors that inhibit the advancemet of women and minorities.

"Great environment"

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Work life balance. Opportunities for core product design based on scientific and engineering rigor. Very talented coworkers. Flexible schedule and some work from home.

Cons

Leadership lacks deep vision in certain areas, sometimes resulting in hesitation to advance game changing ideas. Too much focus on switching to low cost manufacturing regions for high tech products.

Advice to Management

Focus more on what customers want and what they are going to want in 5 years.

"Good learning opportunity"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Carpinteria, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Carpinteria, CA

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, good work/life balance. A great place to learn about medical devices, and then take your skills elsewhere :)

Cons

Lack of development opportunities, upper management doesn't seem to have any interest in improving products or processes. Very corporate feeling and not competitive with other companies in terms of education reimbursement, compensation, and development opportunities.

Advice to Management

Find a way to retain the talented employees.

"Excellent research scientists but terrible upper-management decisions."

Current Employee - R&D Chemist in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - R&D Chemist in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This review is from a Post-doc in R&D so I have no benefits: no paid time off and no retirement savings.

- Very bright engineers and scientists (physicists, chemists, biologists) with A LOT of experience. Every R&D employee is a world expert in their field. Much to learn from each other.

- Decent starting pay in R&D accompanying the feeling of prestige.

- The CEO is a seemingly good man and is trying to foster a newer, more employee driven company with good values. His lieutenants, not so much.

Cons

- An "aged" R&D workforce. In my division there are less than 5 millennial scientists or engineers. If one passes away, no one to replace them due to lack of mentorship or hiring of permanent employees.

- Veteran employees are jaded, hate the upper management decisions, and are stuck in the "HP Days".

- Executive decisions in R&D are sometimes made by people with no technical experience at all and are unwilling to accept expert opinion (politics as usual).

- Terrible onboarding. Does not teach about the internal systems (i.e. MEIDAS. Have to ask around how to use it) or how to navigate towards employee resources such as HR or Payroll.

- Siloed divisions and there are no events to build camaraderie between them.

Advice to Management

Expand the technical workforce to include a younger generation of "full-time" and permanent employees instead of dangling carrots in front of interns or post-docs. Veterans already agree which intern/post-doc they would like to keep but no positions are opening.

Severe brain drain once baby-boomer employees retire. Technical expertise in our field is not easy to pick up, so no - you cannot just hire a new replacement. The veterans may be jaded, but at least you can train newer employees to love the new culture.

"ICB"

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work.
    Work culture is very good.
    Office Timing.
    Work life balance.

Cons

Manager oriented.
    Growth is totally depends on Manager.
    HR inefficient

"A great place to work if you own a home in the valley"

Current Employee - QA Chemist in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - QA Chemist in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Agilent prides itself on its emphasis of a great work/life balance. This is true. The general culture is one that values family time and allows you to more or less set your own schedule as long as it enables you and your team to work efficiently. If you need to cut out early because your kid is sick, that's fine. I like that nobody gives those with children a hard time. I myself don't have kids, but if I did I would appreciate the level of agency that this culture gives parents. Additionally, as a full time employee you start with 4 weeks of vacation. If you are already established in the valley, this is a great place to enjoy a stable work/life balance.

Cons

If you don't already have a home in Silicon Valley, you probably won't be able to afford to work here. This negates the great work-life balance, because if you can't afford to live... there's nothing to balance.
    The pay for Silicon valley is incredibly low. The Santa Clara Site of Agilent is on the same street as the new Apple Complex (The Spaceship). This makes it is incredibly expensive to live and work in this area. Agilent is a scientific hardware and software company, and even though they're operating in the tech capital of the world, they don't pay competitively. On average, for identical roles in the valley, Agilent pays 20% less. This is especially negative for entry-level employees who cannot and will never be able to afford a home in the valley. I've worked with many scientists here in 4 years and had to watch almost every non-home owner go on to a different company. Some of them left because they had inexperienced managers and low upward mobility, but for most that I keep in contact with, it really came down to low pay for a high-complexity position in a competitive field.

Advice to Management

Employees make a company.
    The highest cost comes from time lost due to turnover.
    If your people are good, work hard to keep them. Pay competitively.

"Manangement does not listen to employees"

Current Contractor - Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Contractor - Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Agilent Technologies as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of really smart, bright people work here. Flexible hours.

Cons

Contractors are treated as chattel. And there are a lot of them. Everyone is overworked.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! They are bright people -- when they tell you what can (or can't) be done, pay attention and don't overcommit.

9. "Supply chain"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Agilent Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

All thinks are good and perfect.

Cons

There is only Manager monopoly. Manager can do anything easily and HR does not involve.

Advice to Management

HR involvement

10. "Computational Biologist"

Current Employee - Computational Biologist in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Computational Biologist in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Grate talented people
    - Clear mission, powerful vision and passion for the customer
    - Co-workers and managers really care about your well-being

Cons

- Sometime are resources and project scope not in sync
    - Politics do occasionally take presidency over data driven decisions
    - Poor career opportunities

Advice to Management

- A lateral promotion is also a promotion that might bring more career opportunities