Agilent Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Agilent Technologies President/CEO Mike McMullen
Mike McMullen

Pros
Cons
  • They talk a lot about work life balance but don't really seem to understand that you can't work 60 (in 20 reviews)

• Low Visibility to Upper Management when employed at production facilities (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"GREAT recruiter, interview, and onboarding process!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From initial contact to my first day as a new employee (and to present day), the recruiter and hiring manager communicated clearly about the process and where I stood. They followed through on every commitment to "check in"--prior to committed timelines--surprising and surpassing my expectations every step of the way.

I haven't figured out how I will leave my mark or "change the world", but I'm proud to work for a company that is. From technologies helping to cure cancer, to testing food, pharmaceutical, environment and chemicals, Agilent's technologies ARE helping make the world a better place to live, and advancing the quality of life.

So far, all I have experienced is good. I am rating a few categories only four stars to show that there are a few that have been "off the charts." e.g. I have never had a manager focus so much on my work/life balance, well-being, and things like flexibility to deal with Silicon Valley traffic (nightmarish). I was also pleasantly surprised to learn new employees start with up to three weeks' time off per year--and beginning Jan. 1 2017, it will bump up to FOUR weeks off per year (pro-rated for partial year).

Cons

After working for high tech companies for 20+ years, I can honestly say that, while I'm only 90 days "in", I have not experienced a downside or "Con" yet: This truly has been an amazing place to work. Most days, when the door clicks after swiping my badge, I think, "I can't believe I get to work here."

Agilent Technologies Response

Dec 8, 2016 – Global Talent Acquisition Branding Intern

Welcome to Agilent! Thank you for providing early feedback. We’re glad you are off to a great start. Innovation happens in our teams and you drive our ability to build the products that help our ... More

"Agilent keeps its employees happy!"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Santa Rosa, CA

Pros

The flexibility. I was able to set my own work hours. I was encouraged by my boss to play sports almost every day at lunch. There was basketball, indoor soccer, ping pong, softball. Being able to do stuff like that during lunch made working 8 hours a day much much more enjoyable. In addition, I found it to be a very family-like atmosphere. I really enjoyed the interactions I had with my coworkers. My boss was awesome. He always asked what he could do to help me do my work better. When I had things to improve on, he was so nice about explaining how he thought I could improve, and would ask what he could do to help me get better.

Cons

Some people don't like Santa Rosa, being kinda far from San Francisco, but I like it up there. Very quiet and laid back.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I really enjoyed working at Agilent and would go back if I could.

"Overall, glad to be here"

Current Employee - Electronic Technician in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Electronic Technician in Santa Rosa, CA

Pros

Relatively stable and diversified company, up to date with latest technologies

Cons

Salary could be better. Lack of competition in the area keeps salaries down a bit

Advice to Management

A "suggestion box" for new ideas from employees

""Work/Life" balance was invented here. Understand profit sharing bonuses when negotiating base salary."

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

I work for the company that _invented_ the "work/life balance" philosophy. Agilent is more HP than HP itself, in that sense. Flexible work hours and work arrangements, exercise classes during work hours, etc.

Cons

Profit sharing bonuses are merely variable pay, in that they allow Agilent to pay you a lower base salary. That way, when you get your profit sharing "bonus," you somehow are made to "feel good" about being given money you should have been making the whole time.

Advice to Management

Hire more people. Listen to your lower level managers when they say they need people.

"Bleeding Agilent Blue!!!"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Agilent employees are very smart and very nice and Agilent provides the best work/life "HARMONY". Agilent does a great job of making the work environment very comfortable and enjoyable with little unnecessary stress. At Agilent, it's much more important to do a great job than to deal with organizational beaurocracy.

Cons

The company encourages latteral moves more than vertical advancement. This is great if you want to learn a lot of new things and can focus on doing good work in the job you're currently in, but it could be frustrating if you expect to advance rapidly to a particular senior level position.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! You're awesome!

"Agilent: A company with many good employees"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Place to develop good technologies. Nice work-life balance. Very nice and hard working coworkers. Good benefits.

Cons

Agilent is not giving pay raises. People are not confident about the upper management.

Advice to Management

Need to reward the employees more, instead of stock buyback etc. They are a lot of very talented employees who often feel they are not valued. Salary is generally lower that what people expect.

"Good, stable company; great place to work."

Current Employee - Research Scientist (last Time I Checked) in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist (last Time I Checked) in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Some random thoughts in no particular order: It's a great work environment and culture. People really do seem to get along. Management is connected with employees; there's no feeling that you work in a highly tiered company. Results are rewarded. Of all the places I've worked, this place has by far the least politics, and you really feel like good work isn't punished. You are free to stick your neck out without fear of your head being cut off. Some tech companies have that sweat shop feel, but not Agilent. The management goes to great lengths to make its workforce feel valued. When times are good, we have keggers; when times are bad, management bends over backwards to keep from having to make layoffs.

Cons

For a serious scientist, opportunities for career advancement can be limited. If you're a PhD research scientist, keep in mind that you most likely won't be doing cutting-edge research if you sign on. Like most companies, R&D investment is just enough to try to keep up with the flood of innovation coming out of national laboratories &c. There are many interesting problems to work on but sometimes it's just scattershot.

Advice to Management

Don't pass up the opportunity to take a leadership role in key technologies. Too often, we play catch-up because we don't are afraid to invest in risky far-thinking ideas, unlike our competitors.

"Agilent is pretty good place to work, but they need to be more aggressive vs. competition."

Current Employee - Marketing Applications Engineer
    Current Employee - Marketing Applications Engineer

Pros

Pay, people, culture and educational

Cons

Short term vision. Stale stock price. Me to products.

Advice to Management

Take more risk, be more aggressive roadmap to beat competion. Currently it is like a wait and see approach.

10. "Great people, great place to work, but concerned about the future."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Lots of great people to work with. Very laid back and casual environment - management is supportive of flexible work arrangements, e.g. telecommuting, part-time, etc. Also supportive of continuing education. Great benefits. Good growth in the Life Sciences side of the business.

Cons

Electronics side of the business is not growing. In fact, that side of the business seems to shrink every year, either by divestiture, spin-off, or layoff. The executives seem concerned only with its quarterly numbers. Where is the vision for the future, especially for the EMG side of the business?

Advice to Management

Have some vision - don't be driven just by what last quarter's numbers show. Invest in R&D, innovation, and take more risks.

11. "Great place to work..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA

Pros

Company values, market position, technology portfolio, competency of senior leaders and most colleagues. Company has a strong benefits package including a 401K with match AND a company funding defined benefit pension plan

Cons

No longer leading the way for employment practices as HP was...Consolidating physical locations so fewer options for working out of an Agilent office.

Advice to Management

Nice job navigating the downturn. Also like the 'no nonsense' communication with employees about the direction and challenges facing the company. One caution if I may: Don't make EMG an 'orphan' within the company while putting all the attention on CA and LS. The EMG employees are feeling vulnerable to a sell-off