Agilent Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Agilent Technologies President/CEO Mike McMullen
Mike McMullen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • They talk a lot about work life balance but don't really seem to understand that you can't work 60 (in 21 reviews)

• Low Visibility to Upper Management when employed at production facilities (in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"GREAT recruiter, interview, and onboarding process!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From initial contact to my first day as a new employee (and to present day), the recruiter and hiring manager communicated clearly about the process and where I stood. They followed through on every commitment to "check in"--prior to committed timelines--surprising and surpassing my expectations every step of the way.

I haven't figured out how I will leave my mark or "change the world", but I'm proud to work for a company that is. From technologies helping to cure cancer, to testing food, pharmaceutical, environment and chemicals, Agilent's technologies ARE helping make the world a better place to live, and advancing the quality of life.

So far, all I have experienced is good. I am rating a few categories only four stars to show that there are a few that have been "off the charts." e.g. I have never had a manager focus so much on my work/life balance, well-being, and things like flexibility to deal with Silicon Valley traffic (nightmarish). I was also pleasantly surprised to learn new employees start with up to three weeks' time off per year--and beginning Jan. 1 2017, it will bump up to FOUR weeks off per year (pro-rated for partial year).

Cons

After working for high tech companies for 20+ years, I can honestly say that, while I'm only 90 days "in", I have not experienced a downside or "Con" yet: This truly has been an amazing place to work. Most days, when the door clicks after swiping my badge, I think, "I can't believe I get to work here."

Agilent Technologies Response

Dec 8, 2016 – Global Talent Acquisition Branding Intern

Welcome to Agilent! Thank you for providing early feedback. We’re glad you are off to a great start. Innovation happens in our teams and you drive our ability to build the products that help our... More

2. "Comapny Culture"

Current Employee - Manager in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Culture, Great Values, Great People

Cons

Need to be focus on what you are doing great

3. "Senior Manager"

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture -- people first focus; Focused on results and outcomes, but also on the how you get there. Fantastic growth due to executive leadership vision and organization ability to execute.

Cons

Some systems and tools are outdated and need to be updated to allow more efficiency and effectiveness of the processes.

4. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Agilent is a great place to work - everyone is hard working, cooperative and hires people with high ethics. Can have a great work life balance with flexibility to work from home

Cons

Social perks are limited, not much internal promotion

Advice to Management

Encourage middle management to promote internally instead of always seeking external experience to fill gaps

5. "Great overall but it could be so much better"

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility. We all do more than our fair share of hours but we can do them with some flex especially in global roles. Culture is improving and the people are very smart and considerate. What we do for the world is also inspiring and we could make more of it.

Cons

It seems that at senior levels the politics begin and bad decisions are often taken. Lots of senior folks will (and need) to retire but there isn't much readiness below them, they should bring in some sassy outsiders or take a punt on less experienced but hungry talent now and again. Young managers or female and minority managers are a total rarity which just doesn't reflect the outside world. Siloes are still visible but seems to improve slightly

Advice to Management

You're on the right track. Mike is definitely role modelling, just hope the others catch on asap.

"Good learning opportunity"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Carpinteria, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Carpinteria, CA

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, good work/life balance. A great place to learn about medical devices, and then take your skills elsewhere :)

Cons

Lack of development opportunities, upper management doesn't seem to have any interest in improving products or processes. Very corporate feeling and not competitive with other companies in terms of education reimbursement, compensation, and development opportunities.

Advice to Management

Find a way to retain the talented employees.

7. "Finance Programme Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time

Pros

best shift timings. excellent environment to work. flexibility.

Cons

hiring programme should be improved

"Excellent research scientists but terrible upper-management decisions."

Current Employee - R&D Chemist in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - R&D Chemist in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This review is from a Post-doc in R&D so I have no benefits: no paid time off and no retirement savings.

- Very bright engineers and scientists (physicists, chemists, biologists) with A LOT of experience. Every R&D employee is a world expert in their field. Much to learn from each other.

- Decent starting pay in R&D accompanying the feeling of prestige.

- The CEO is a seemingly good man and is trying to foster a newer, more employee driven company with good values. His lieutenants, not so much.

Cons

- An "aged" R&D workforce. In my division there are less than 5 millennial scientists or engineers. If one passes away, no one to replace them due to lack of mentorship or hiring of permanent employees.

- Veteran employees are jaded, hate the upper management decisions, and are stuck in the "HP Days".

- Executive decisions in R&D are sometimes made by people with no technical experience at all and are unwilling to accept expert opinion (politics as usual).

- Terrible onboarding. Does not teach about the internal systems (i.e. MEIDAS. Have to ask around how to use it) or how to navigate towards employee resources such as HR or Payroll.

- Siloed divisions and there are no events to build camaraderie between them.

Advice to Management

Expand the technical workforce to include a younger generation of "full-time" and permanent employees instead of dangling carrots in front of interns or post-docs. Veterans already agree which intern/post-doc they would like to keep but no positions are opening.

Severe brain drain once baby-boomer employees retire. Technical expertise in our field is not easy to pick up, so no - you cannot just hire a new replacement. The veterans may be jaded, but at least you can train newer employees to love the new culture.

"Agilent review from mid level agilent manager"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineering Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineering Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

profesional, positive work environment, work life balance for most employees

Cons

mid-tier salaries, few women or minorities in senior management

Advice to Management

need to remove barriors that inhibit the advancemet of women and minorities.

10. "Applications Engineer"

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time

Pros

good people in the company

Cons

management is quite weak yeah