Agios Pharmaceuticals Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Agios Pharmaceuticals Chief Executive Officer David Schenkein
David Schenkein

1. Featured Review

"Great Company, Leaders, and Culture"

I have been working at Agios Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

I truly love my position at Agios. This culture is unlike any that I have witnessed in my career. The CEO, all the way down the line to an entry level employee, all say hello and smile at one another. Everyone is here to help everyone, even if your role is not on their team. The company truly cares about the patients - the patients come first. Management is incredible - I feel they truly support your growth and appreciate your work and you as an employee day in and day out. Aside from this, management welcomes new ideas surrounding process and other matters making you feel empowered and involved. All ideas count. They lead by example. Overall - positive experience!

Cons

Very busy work days, but when you love what you do this does not matter.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Thank you for all that you do and for showing me an example to follow as I hope to be a manger too one day.

"Fantastic Work Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA

I worked at Agios Pharmaceuticals (Less than a year)

Pros

The small size of the company allowed the environment to be extremely friendly and inclusive. Everyone seemed very happy to be there.

Cons

A small company in the biotech industry poses risks for job stability but management was good about addressing those concerns.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing. Overall a wonderful experience.

"Good company to work with"

Former Employee - Scientist, Biology in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Scientist, Biology in Boston, MA

Pros

Visionary company great for experienced biotech worker to explore exciting sciences and advance cancer therapies.

Cons

It could be stressful for young scientists working at fast-pace startup environment.

Advice to Management

I recommend the company provide more training for junior scientists.

"OK but experience doesn't match the hoopla about culture"

Former Employee - Scientist in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Agios Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Interesting work as long as you stay on the good side of the company leaders, good salary, mostly friendly people, fresh fruit & yogurt & coffee.

Cons

Besides horrible politics, there is one thing at Agios that's particularly troubling. If you have access to clinical data, you are put on a black list. You are not supposed to buy or trade Agios stock, neither is anyone at your address. This is intended to keep you out of trouble with the Securities & Exchange Commission for insider trading. The company is small, so knowledge of clinical data can give you some hints that are not public about which way the stock is going. You can set up a plan where you sell shares if they reach a certain price, or you can sell X shares every certain period of time. All straightforward so far. How will you find out about this? Completely informally. Not from your boss, not from HR, not from legal affairs. Employers can't give you legal advice, but you would think that the company can at least tell you about laws against insider trading and about these plans. Zip zero zilch. This can obviously be an unpleasant surprise - hey, you get these options after a year, but you can't touch them!

If you interview at Agios, be sure to ask about this. Ask for written guidelines or laws.

Advice to Management

Cut it out with the culture nonsense feel-good stuff because nobody believes it so it harms your credibility. Focus on discovering therapies because that's what the competitors literally all around you are doing.

"Research Associate at Agios Pharmaceuticals"

Former Contractor - Research Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Former Contractor - Research Associate in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Agios Pharmaceuticals as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good scientists - there are a lot of really smart people here.
    Excellent company amenities - free food, showers on site for those who want to work out before/during/after the work day, relaxed "west coast" style atmosphere.
    Excellent resources - good technology, well funded labs.
    Young, enthusiastic environment. People seem to really like working here.

Cons

An abundance of meetings (something the company is aware of and working on improving)
    young company means considerable upheaval/project direction shifts/instability for contract employees.

Advice to Management

I think they are moving in a good direction.

7. "Great and Growing"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Agios Pharmaceuticals as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Corporate culture is unlike anyplace I have worked to date. Coming from large pharma it has been a pleasant change. People are friendly and helpful. The office system is mixed so that you interact with people from many different groups. If forces you to get away from your desk if you want to talk to someone in your group about something. You learn new things from the people you sit around and meet people you probably would never have met in a traditional office setting. Business is growing so there is a lot of work going on.

Cons

Biggest draw back is location. Cambridge is a difficult city to get in and out of. Otherwise it's not a bad company. IT systems are a challenge due to size. Due to the fast growth there is a lot of stress on the organization to change some of these. Additionally there is a lot of strain on the organization to get ready for the commercial launch of their first commercial product.

Advice to Management

Don't lose sight of the goal you set out to accomplish. Communication is obviously key and you all do well with this. Keep up the great work!

Agios Pharmaceuticals Response

Mar 16, 2017 – Head of Talent

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective! We are thrilled to hear that the collaborative and cross-functional nature of our office set-up has allowed you to forge new relationships ... More

"Growing and changing - still great"

Pros

Science
    People - have and hire awesome people
    Leadership - particularly CEO
    Transparency
    Spirit is strong
    On visible / real path to get drugs to patients

Cons

Figuring out the "Agios" way
    Some R&D leaders are better than others
    Need to focus / prioritize
    Starting to add people outside of Cambridge - good and bad

Advice to Management

Keep being open and honest with us. Recent departures from the organization (mostly early employees going back to earlier stage companies) are normal so no one is panicking - make sure you don't either!

"Wonderful Place, Wonderful People"

Pros

- Innovative, energetic, and passionate environment. Employees genuinely care about their work and enjoy what they do.
    - The company provides opportunities for employees to explore different areas and to develop within their careers.
    - Even with the growth within the company, Agios maintains a positive and unique culture & a strong patient focus.

Cons

- It is a fast paced environment, and the workload can be demanding.
    - The company is going through a time of fast growth. Leadership is aware & addresses the challenges that come along with scaling an organization, but the growing pains do still exist.

Advice to Management

- Continue the work around culture & continue to provide forums for employee voices to be heard.

Agios Pharmaceuticals Response

Mar 16, 2017 – Head of Talent

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Agios. Our employees’ passion and innovation are key drivers in working to achieve our mission. Together, we work tirelessly on our ultimate ... More

"Great corporate culture, strong dedication to patients"

I have been working at Agios Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

- The patient is at the center of all corporate goals, driving the business forward at all levels of the organization.
    - Employees genuinely seem to like each other and enjoy celebrating success together on the job or at various corporate celebrations held throughout the year
    - One person is accountable for each decision. It is that person's responsibility to make sure and obtain stakeholder feedback and make the one that is right for Agios.
    - Entrepreneurial spirit - if you see an opportunity for improvement or want to take on a new initiative, you don't need to go through a lengthy approval process to move on it

Cons

- Frenetic pace means employees are in communication outside of normal work hours. The company tends to attract people who don't mind this.
    - Decisions can be slowed down by the Celgene partnership
    - Lack of process can lead to repeat work and confusion

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Agios Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I’ve consistently been provided growth opportunities and had open discussions with managers about career goals; this was supported so fully that I transitioned into an entirely new department, 4-5 employees have been able to do this in the past year so far.

Pros:
    - MANY full-time employees who work from home anywhere from 1-3 days a week permanently to accommodate either their long-distance location or schedules with children.
    - You can set your own hours, coming in early/leaving early, to coming in at 10:30/11:00 and working late. This is 100% across the organization.
    - Weekly social hour with food and drink, introduce new employees, quarterly events (Red Sox game, half day BBQ, etc), Summer Outing (w/ families), Cape Cod overnight retreat, holiday party
    - Runners and cyclists group, book club, ping pong league, etc
    - Strong benefits package and generous comp (more as you come in the door, but comp days and one-off bonuses are frequent too for significant projects and attendance at meetings/conferences over weekends)
    - Free gym (not super fancy, but still a nice perk) with showers, lockers
    - Free food (fresh fruit, yogurt, cheese sticks, cereals, trail mix, chips, snacky stuff), Drinks (assortment of coffees, teas)
    - Very casual environment, not stuffy or corporate
    - Really smart, friendly people; always feel included and equal to people in the org. “Roll up your sleeves”, no ego kind of place
    - Leadership is accessible, the company is as transparent as they can be and more so than most other companies

Cons

Cons:
    - Not everyone that works here is my best friend. Some people aren’t as team oriented or aren’t as nice and friendly.. To be fair, 9 out of 10 people here I love, respect and learn a lot from, but that 1 out of 10 can distract you for sure.
    - In an effort to be collaborative, starting to get a little bureaucratic in seeking input from multiple parties, hoping this doesn’t become the norm

Most people who work here thrive on the fast pace, we’re mostly type A overachievers who are crazy passionate for the work that we do and we like putting in the hours and the time. If you’re looking to punch a clock and have a moderate amount of responsibility with little risk, this is probably not the job for you.

Everyone has a lot on their plate but guess what? That means no matter what level you are you’re given real responsibility and opportunity. You work on multiple projects – it’s hectic and overwhelming but at the same time you’re getting a ton of exposure and experience without the boredom and mundane. Again, see the “pros” re: time flexibility (also, people truly take vacation time here).

At the end of the day it’s biotech. It’s risky, it’s always changing, the stakes are high. If you want to find something to complain about, you’ll always find it. At most pharma companies, your job is your job you don’t get access to other projects, you don’t get a voice in meetings, you don’t have real opportunity to move up or around in the org, Agios is good about those things.