Agios Pharmaceuticals Reviews | Glassdoor

Agios Pharmaceuticals Chief Executive Officer David Schenkein
David Schenkein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great Company, Leaders, and Culture"

I have been working at Agios Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

I truly love my position at Agios. This culture is unlike any that I have witnessed in my career. The CEO, all the way down the line to an entry level employee, all say hello and smile at one another. Everyone is here to help everyone, even if your role is not on their team. The company truly cares about the patients - the patients come first. Management is incredible - I feel they truly support your growth and appreciate your work and you as an employee day in and day out. Aside from this, management welcomes new ideas surrounding process and other matters making you feel empowered and involved. All ideas count. They lead by example. Overall - positive experience!

Cons

Very busy work days, but when you love what you do this does not matter.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Thank you for all that you do and for showing me an example to follow as I hope to be a manger too one day.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Agios Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked at Agios for about two years now and love it! The best part about Agios for me is the people that work here and the mission. Everyone works to advance our mission which is truly focused around the patients. The teamwork at Agios inspires me on a daily basis. This company comes together for each other and again & more importantly, for the patients. It is unlike any other place I have worked - in a good way!

Cons

Not much negative to say! The company is growing rapidly and as we become a commercial company, there is a lot of work that needs to be done.

Nov 14, 2017

Thank you for your great review and feedback! We really appreciate your hard work. Here at Agios, patients come first and fuel our passion for our work. This mission is instrumental to attracting and... More

"Awesome place to work"

I have been working at Agios Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and values - feels special and is special! Super senior leaders that have built a great team - very talented scientifically and more. Impressive focus on people - HR enables the company - doesn't police it which is great to see.

Cons

The company has grown quickly over the past 2 years - process and decision making can sometimes be clunky. Management is very open to feedback and are working on this.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Immature team environment"

I have been working at Agios Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

CEO is truly inspiring and he recognises that employees are the most important assets to the company. I love the supply of fruits, yogurt, snacks and occasional ice cream fairies. The company is full of young adults and fun. Fast paced and if you know what you are doing and love working hard, you can contribute a lot to the program.

Cons

Many inexperienced employees are in director and above positions as they joined in early days of the company. They do not take a counsel from people who are more experienced. Watch out for colleagues backstabbing, gossips and office politics to keep you out from the data that you need to work efficiently. It is hard to build a strong team with this culture.

Advice to Management

Enough of the cultural hiring because we are hiring based on liking of a person, nothing to do with whether the person can do the job. It is demoralising to have to work someone inexperienced whose titles are the same or above mine.

Nov 14, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments about your experience here, although we are sorry to hear that is was not an entirely positive one. We are glad to hear that you are enjoying... More

5. "Not Happy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Agios Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I did not have a good experience therefore I do not have anything good to say.

Cons

Management need training!

Oct 20, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, although it is disappointing to hear that your experience here was not more positive. At Agios, we do invest in continuously improving leadership... More

"Churn has put the glory days in the past"

I worked at Agios Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Much about the culture is fantastic. The CEO, David Schenkein, is one of the best things about the company in a lot of ways. His care for and commitment to patients is extremely palpable. The idea upon which the company is based, cancer metabolism, was also not a bad one although it's debatable whether a real cancer metabolism drug will ever come out of Agios. Patients are being helped regardless of the pathway with the approval of IDH drugs though and that's what matters.

Cons

Upper management long ago gave up on removing poor leaders. The place is littered with marginal management (centered around director level) that don't live up to the Agios hype and don't direct the company in any meaningful way. There are some stars in this class and these are the rare directors that have risen through the ranks and not left the company for greener pastures but unfortunately they are the minority.

My greatest fear is that Agios will be another Amgen coasting off an early success that is largely driven by some early hard work and good luck with IDH (and maybe from the clever repositioning of early PKD drugs) but will flounder for years with the vacuum created by most of the early leaders and pioneers having departed. Fingers crossed that I'm wrong and things will somehow look up.

Advice to Management

Oh geez. It's a bit too late for this. Firing poor performing leaders before the mass exodus of talent in the last few years would've been it but that ship has sailed. It's now much harder to attract new talent unfortunately and I don't know what the solution for this is.

Nov 14, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide your insights. I am glad that during your time at Agios our mission of getting medicines to the patients who need them resonated with you. As a company, we... More

"Work hard, play hard"

I have been working at Agios Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Agios has a great inclusive, collaborative, energetic, and hard working culture. The science is exciting. There are so many opportunities to grow.

Cons

As the company grows rapidly the leadership dynamic changes frequently, but I expect it to return to normal soon.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people!

8. "Awesome!"

Current Employee - Procurement Associate
    Current Employee - Procurement Associate

I have been working at Agios Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Unbelievable growth in the company. Very professional. The colleagues in the company are great to work with. You bond, become very close. Great work life balance. And the pay is definitely a PRO. Management helps out the associates very well.

Cons

No cons yet. When I find one, I'll be sure to mention it. But as of right now, nothing.

"Lots of morale boosters"

Former Employee - Contractor in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Contractor in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Agios Pharmaceuticals (More than a year)

Pros

This company has lots of perk and does lots of social activities together. There is transparency across the board

Cons

Running out of space

"Fast growing company with great outlook"

I worked at Agios Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Everyone works very hard to achieve excellency.

Cons

Decision making is not sufficient enough, often result in rework.

Advice to Management

Rework is a great waste of resource. Need better planning and realistic goal setting.

Jun 28, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. Like many rapidly changing companies – we work hard to scale the way we work as we add people to the team. You’ve pointed out 2 important... More