Agios Pharmaceuticals Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2020

Agios Pharmaceuticals CEO Jackie Fouse
Jackie Fouse

"Good Science Good Colleagues"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist

I have been working at Agios Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Challenging projects, good compensation, intelligent coworkers

Cons

Limited room for career advancement, shallow job title tree

"Not a great place to work at"

2.0
    Former Employee - Research Associate

I worked at Agios Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Flexible working hours, convenient location

Cons

Worked here for two years. The company has a culture where the new person coming in is supposed to interact with people and make new connections. This sounds great but along with that the current employees are supposed to welcome you and interact with you. I tried to make new connections in every possible way I could by going to social meetups, attending company meetings, program updates, Founder’s Day. People already have their so-called groups where you are not invited to join the conversion. There are some people who are continuously gossiping around which is extremely annoying because some people are trying to work here. I feel the atmosphere and the culture does not support introverts. Nobody addresses this issue. With respect to ‘feeling of inclusion’ you will always feel like an outsider because of the way people look at you/ look down upon you. Everyone is trying to their jobs in a way so as to be efficient and avoid delays in getting results. Even then I have been told ‘we have more urgent things we have been working on, why are you reiterating?’ Despite of asking things to be done in a timeframe when people do not follow you need to reiterate. Everyone is trying to contribute in the smallest of the way they can towards the growth of the company. People like these can bring down the morale of a person doing their job. The HR department does not laugh with you ‘they laugh at you’. Please understand you are not doing a favor on anyone; you are doing your jobs so what’s with the attitude? Based on my experience, my manager did not support my career growth and development. When I expressed this to the HR during regular check in and even during the exit interview the HR rep was least bothered.

August 3, 2020Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It’s disheartening to hear that you did not feel included, and that you felt unsupported as an introvert. We are very focused on creating and maintaining an inclusive culture – and valuing everyone’s differences. Your feedback tells me you did not experience this, and I am very sorry for that. Our research shows that more than 50% of our employees are introverted and we've invested a lot to ensure everyone at Agios is heard and can thrive. I would encourage you to reach out directly to me if you’re comfortable doing so; I’d like to personally understand more about your time at Agios so that we can continue to learn and grow.

"Great place to work, not a great place to grow."

Former Employee - Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Agios Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent team members, exciting projects, generally positive work environment. Many opportunities to learn. It's an excellent place to start your scientific career in industry. There are A LOT of very experienced scientists to learn from and are willing to provide mentorship and guidance.

Cons

Few opportunities within research for junior scientists to have increasing levels of responsibility, in part due to the crowded top level. There are many individuals with the title associate director/director, which leads to a dilution of leadership responsibilities and a "too many cooks in the kitchen" problem. This trickles down to the junior level: if many senior level scientists are having a hard time increasing their level of responsibility, there are even fewer opportunities for those below. Most of the advancement is one dimensional: title increases with no change in responsibility.

June 8, 2020Head of Internal Communications

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Agios. We are focused on creating and maintaining an inclusive environment with the right level of mentorship, so it’s fantastic to hear that you were able to learn from some of our talented, experienced scientists. Over the past few years, we’ve increased our hiring of entry-level scientists. Your feedback is timely; deliberate development is very important to us. We’ll continue to work through how we can provide additional opportunities for growth of our entry-level scientists (and all employees).

"Overall a great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Agios Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility, Salary, Benefits, nice office space

Cons

Top heavy, becoming more cut throat

June 2, 2020Head of Internal Communications

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We’re glad that you’re finding Agios an overall great place to work! We’ve cultivated 3 guiding pillars around our culture: Flexibility, psychological safety (the belief that risk-taking and failure won’t be punished), and deliberate development. The latter 2 address some of your comments; but, we always welcome input and encourage you to reach out with any additional questions.

5. "T"

Former Employee - Lab Technician

I worked at Agios Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people and fun place to work at

Cons

No cons at all, all is good

June 2, 2020Head of Internal Communications

We appreciate the feedback and are glad you were part of the team!

6. "Amazing company and culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Agios Pharmaceuticals full-time for less than a year

Pros

Patient-focused, fantastic culture, great science, incredible people

Cons

None to speak of right now

June 2, 2020Head of Internal Communications

Thanks for this – it’s wonderful to see the type of review! We’re so grateful to have you as part of the team.

7. "Fulfilling work"

Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at Agios Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Many opportunities to grow and learn

Cons

Small teams lead to less mentorship, which isn't ideal for individuals seeking more guidance.

November 5, 2019Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It’s great to hear that you’re finding the right opportunities for growth and development! And I want to make sure that continues in a way that lets you thrive. Please reach out and we can talk more about the type of guidance you’re looking for so we can brainstorm ways to make it happen.

8. "Good company"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Agios Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Money is good for the job.

Cons

None To speak of really.

"Not a great place to work"

1.0

I have been working at Agios Pharmaceuticals

Pros

There are no real pros besides it’s a pharma company

Cons

They do not care about personal and career growth. This is a place that makes it hard to gain great experience.

November 5, 2019Chief People Officer

I’m sorry to hear that Agios isn’t the right fit for you. It’s important that we’re creating an environment where you can be your best, so I encourage you to reach out to me directly to talk more about your experience here. I value any and all feedback.

"Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Agios Pharmaceuticals full-time for less than a year

Pros

Too many to list: the people, the passion for patients, senior leadership, the impeccable work-life balance & encouraged flex scheduling, growth opportunities, benefits, compensation, facilities, and so much more.

Cons

haven't seen any yet. if anything, it is a bit of a "meeting-heavy" culture but that's kind of nice as it encourages collaboration & teamwork.

July 1, 2019Head of Internal Communications

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. We’re lucky to have amazing people – like you – who enjoy working together in support of such an important mission. We truly believe in each other, and that creates an environment where each of us can thrive. Sometimes, that translates into involving everyone in every meeting possible…but we’re learning!

Found 38 reviews