Agora Financial Reviews

Updated Jun 25, 2020

3.6
Agora Financial Executive Publisher  Addison Wiggin (no image)
Addison Wiggin
Pros
  • "training was helpful, and those around you are willing to help, good work environment(in 13 reviews)

• "Hard work is compensated and recognized(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Expect to work unpaid and unappreciated overtime some weeks, while having absolutely no work to do other weeks(in 2 reviews)

• "Usually to do this you have to put in a year of customer service, but unfortunately no one can even make it that far(in 2 reviews)

1. "Short Time but Good Time"

5.0
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer

I have been working at Agora Financial full-time for less than a year

Pros

wide variety of products, work with different people, good environment

Cons

tedious at times, working with schedules is at time tough

2. "Good Place to Start"

Former Employee - Front End Developer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Agora Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people. Easy going environment.

Cons

Work was not very fulfilling. Border line shady

3. "Work Hard, Play Hard"

Former Employee - Front End Developer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Agora Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers and office environment. Lots of great memories!

Cons

No real career path or long term options for my role.

"The job itself isnt so bad but the management is abysmal"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Agora Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

nice employee break room, job is easy, pay is okay for what you do

Cons

Management is extremely unorganized and its obvious they arent sure how to run the building. Management and HR are very clique-y with each other and gossip A TON which makes you feel like you have no one to turn to when you have an issue (which is usually with management). This creates a very low morale and toxic environment with an extremely high turnover rate. I havent even been there for a year and i have seen close to 50 people come and go. Unless you are able to go to one of the publishers, you have no way to get a raise (sales reps can get commission though). Usually to do this you have to put in a year of customer service, but unfortunately no one can even make it that far.

April 9, 2020Digital Content Manager

We do value all feedback - good or bad - including this review. It is important to keep in mind, however, that turnover in the Agora Financial call center environment is better than most. That said, the call center environment is still fairly new to us. Just about two years ago, with the growth of the business, it was the right time to invest in an in-house call center. Because we couldn't find a solution that fit our needs, we built it from the ground up. It's been a very complex process, but worth the hard work. Still, we know we have room to improve and intend to.

"Front-End Developer in name only. Nowhere to go but down."

Former Employee - Frontend Developer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Agora Financial full-time for less than a year

Pros

The work environment is relaxed, hours sometimes flexible, ability to work remote occasionally. The people are amiable in my experience. You get a paycheck every two weeks.

Cons

The tech stack is a nightmare. Expect to be working with a very outdated proprietary eCommerce platform (literally built with Flash) and a slew of poorly designed marketing tools. This position is "Front-End Developer" in name only - most of your time will be spent wresting against these systems. The most interesting task you'll ever do is maybe writing a short bit of JavaScript. There is no methodology in place, and almost no version control, which has resulted in a hopelessly fragmented ecosystem where each developer builds on and exacerbates the mistakes of their predecessor. At Agora Financial, being part of the production team puts you low on the totem pole (with copywriters near the top). Expect to work with unclear deadlines and shifting requirements. Expect to work unpaid and unappreciated overtime some weeks, while having absolutely no work to do other weeks. Despite all of the above, this position is tolerable in the short term. It might be worth considering if you're in a bind or if you're looking to get your foot in the door with development (as I was). You won't learn anything or grow as a developer, but you'll have something to talk about in your next interview. --- As for the company itself, the work they do borders on unethical. Agora Financial is part of the "financial newsletter" industry. Their business model centers around sending spam emails to their aging customer base. The content of these emails usually consists of one or all of the following: a "get rich quick" scheme, economic fear mongering, or political propaganda. At the time of writing this, Agora Financial is embroiled in a lawsuit with the FTC for these predatory practices. This is not their first such lawsuit and I sincerely doubt it will be their last. I'd encourage you to take a look at their Better Business Bureau page and do a little research before getting on-board. I wish that I had.

February 14, 2020Digital Content Specialist

If you are considering a job at Agora Financial, you should know that our ideas and independent research are subject to more scrutiny because they haven't been endorsed by financial advisors or the mainstream media. They're rigorously researched, ours, ethical, and they've helped millions of people - of all ages - interested in economics and the financial markets.

6. "solid job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Agora Financial part-time for less than a year

Pros

Cons

not the most glamorous job

"Run as fast as you can BEWARE"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Agora Financial full-time

Pros

Sure there are perks to the job, it’s in a good location of the city and they have great benefits, cool parties and try to be all cool-tech. However my theory is, that it’s the only way they keep people around engaged in the bs they are selling to customers.

Cons

Be sure to read all the reviews elsewhere on the internet and not just all the fake ones I’m sure they pay interns to post. If you think “surely it can’t be that bad” then your making the first mistake I made. It really is just that bad. They are so far stuck up their own butts it’s similar to a cult, the ones who move up and make real money are the ones who drink the kool aid or who can spew it best. It’s outdated marketing practices make me wonder how they still make millions like they do but then I am reminded that they blatantly lie to make money off of old people. They have their market base for a reason, because they are the only ones stupid enough to pay thousands of dollars for spam emails and mail. It’s unethical, fear mongering, propaganda under the guise of “financial freedom” and is equivalent to the crazy magazines you see in line at the grocery store. If you have no moral base and just want to fall in line then your probably perfect for this place. If you don’t believe me, read all the complaints from customers, BBB files under their name and probably current lawsuits.

"Very deceiving."

Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Agora Financial full-time

Pros

Decent benefits & flexibility with schedule. Orange Theory Fitness corporate membership

Cons

Authoritarian leadership. Cliquey. Compensation is on the lower end. Very deceiving.

April 9, 2020Digital Content Manager

While everyone is entitled to their own opinions, we feel it's important to point out that perpetual learning and growth is at the very core of our culture and always has been. All of our employees (whether or not they are currently in a management role) are welcome to take advantage of a wide range of highly developed trainings, including but not limited to management and leadership topics.

9. "Overall a nice experience working here!"

Current Employee - HTML/CSS Production Specialist in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Agora Financial full-time for less than a year

Pros

Every new employee will start there with training and the training is very detailed, so if you don't know whole lot about HTML and CSS, don't worry the manager will help you become an expert at what you do on a daily basis. You get paid for working overtime.

Cons

I found lack of communication between the centralized team and the imprints.

10. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative

I have been working at Agora Financial full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance, busy work, good support from upper management, good training, good opportunity to advance

Cons

The repetitiveness of the job, T1-T2 is the same pay rate.

Found 44 reviews