Agora Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

Addison Wiggin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Culture"

I have been working at Agora Financial full-time

Pros

Flexibly work environment, flat management structure, laid back, fun culture full of networking and meeting really smart people.

Cons

communication between departments could be better, but that's the case most anywhere you work.

2. "I Love Working Here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Agora Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Agora Financial has a casual working environment. There is flexibility in being able to work remotely if you need to. All of my co-workers work just as hard as I do to reach our company's quarterly and yearly goals. Hard work is compensated and recognized. You have the ability to carve out your own path. I have never felt micromanaged. There is independence to do what you have to do to get your job done. It has been fun to watch the company grow from where it was almost six years ago when I started. I have also been able to grow with the company.

Cons

Work load is not always balanced. One day can be crazy and the next there isn't a lot going on. Management is sometimes not as organized as they could be, but it is a work in progress. Communication between departments could also be improved.

3. "Great company, benefits, people, location"

I have been working at Agora Financial full-time

Pros

Location, coworkers, benefits, work life balance

Cons

Not many to speak of

"Former Employee"

Former Employee - Chargeback Specialist in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Chargeback Specialist in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Agora Financial full-time

Pros

Company events, salary, distance to stores and restaurants

Cons

It's a very emotional setting with moods up and down, rude manager who is very miserable and says hurtful things but everyone is afraid to tell management with fear of losing their jobs.There is favoritism with managers to where there are no consequences for them.The environment is so negative and stuffy that others in the building even notice it when they come to visit our department. Youre even afraid to ask him questions about how to do your daily job. Save yourself tears and stress and don't apply to this department. I had to resign and find a better workplace.

Advice to Management

Hire professional and kind management who also care about their employees.Favoritism of managers only runs people away and I believe all of the managers should have training courses on respect, rather than just the employees. Watch the people you hire as managers, because it's creating a hostile environment and miserable place to work because the manager is miserable.

5. "Environment That Fosters Growth"

Current Employee - Managing Editor in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Managing Editor in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Agora Financial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work with a group of hard working professionals. I have the autonomy to do my job and make decisions without a lot of oversight. AF has always been a place that fosters growth and allows you to find your own path within the company . Because we work in an always changing market climate-- you never have time to get bored. There is always something new to work on. We work hard and have fun.

Cons

Sometimes the fast pace can be exhausting.

6. "Marketing"

I have been working at Agora Financial full-time

Pros

It was my first job right out of college and I figured it would just be temporary. I've now been here almost 6 years and it's been great. I love the people I work with and the atmosphere all around. There is so much potential to grow and learn whatever part of the business you want. If you want to learn something new, it is encouraged and the resources to do so are provided.

Cons

If you're someone who needs to be managed on a day to day basis, you probably won't be a good fit. You're given the freedom and to make your own decisions, and will be held responsible for them.

7. "I want to work here the rest of my life..."

Pros

When I started here, I didn't understand the newsletter publishing industry (no one does, because it's unique.) But I was told it was a place to work hard and "write my own ticket."

This has been 1,000% true. I came here almost right after college, when another job I had came to an end. I've had many jobs here and have been given the chance to grow... make mistakes... and take initiative.

I've literally been in control of my income. In nearly 6 years, I've progressed at warp speed. And it's because this business rewards hard work and initiative.

We publish alternative ideas in finance, politics and health. I love these ideas. They're thought-provoking and put forward by credible former insiders or experts. Each have interesting backgrounds, books and other bodies of work that make for interesting ideas. This is what we do: We think about, research and publish alternative ideas. I love this part of our business. I think a lot of mainstream ideas are wrong, boring or outright dangerous.

The work environment gives you freedom, too. And as long as you're a) responsible with that freedom b) like the work we do c) work hard and d) act on constructive criticism you're going to love it here.

The people are great... the work environment is great... the company culture is great. It's consistently done well or won the best place to work in Baltimore for the size business it is. Having one job is super rare in today's day and age.

But I honestly would like to work here the rest of my life. I've grown here. And I hate to think about what my life would be like if I never worked here.

If you've got A-D above, you're going to love it here.

I'd be excited for you, too! Because you would have stumbled on something awesome.

Hope this helps...

Cons

The freedom I described cuts both ways. If you're someone who needs to be told what to do... or kept after for every single deliverable... or is lazy or does the bare minimum... you're not going to be happy here. Also, many positions here let you control your own income. Sometimes, it can go quite high. Typically, the people I've seen who are unhappy don't keep track of how they're doing, properly. Or, they say they understand things when they really don't... or, they say they've worked hard when they really haven't.

Everyone always thinks they work hard, but you need to be honest with yourself. Anyway, if you're not a self-starter... or if you want everything handed to you, this is not going to be a great place for you.

I put this in the pros section too, because it all depends upon your point of view. But, we publish alternative ideas in finance, politics and health. If you don't like alternative views... you're not going to like the work here. You should just know that and avoid it in that case.

If you like bureaucracies or big corporate environments this isn't for you either. It will be more chaotic at times and challenge you to find your own solutions to your work.
    Think start-up culture.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

8. "The last "job" I'll ever have"

Current Employee - Publisher in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Publisher in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Agora Financial full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The freedom to choose my career path and the company culture are the most important things AF offers. If I decide I want to move into a different role I simply learn that role and apply for the position.

The entrepreneurship spirit is highly coveted.

Cons

If you need daily oversight or need to be told what to do each day, this isn't the place for you. General objectives are readily available, but the "how to do it" needs to come from you which is a "con" for some people.

9. "Copywriter"

Current Employee - Copywriter in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Copywriter in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Agora Financial full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Total freedom. Ability to change reader's lives daily. Ability to work hard to determine your own salary. Ability to go anywhere, to learn anything, to help produce a "marketplace of ideas"

Cons

this work is not for everyone. If you're lazy and not a self starter, this is not for you.

Advice to Management

keep on doing the same thing!

10. "Not a bad temporary assignment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Agora Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual work culture is a plus

Cons

They incentivize you to do well and then take your incentive away