Aimco Apartment Homes Reviews

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Aimco Apartment Homes Chairman, President, and CEO Terry Considine
Terry Considine

Pros
  • A great place to work and a lot of innovative concepts to keep prices strong (in 11 reviews)

• The company encourages team members to move around the company (referred within as the corporate jungle gym) (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • It would be nice to see our headcount grow so current employees actually had a better work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• 35 hour work week, Needs stronger onboard training, Restricting Rights within Roles (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company, great benefits"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant II in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant II in Washington, DC

I have been working at Aimco Apartment Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff is supportive and fun. My CM is amazing. You are treated like an adult and given the opportunity to demonstrate your skills and work independently. I feel this is the first company I have ever worked for that has given me a real opportunity to succeed and a clear path to do so.

Cons

Working weekends sometimes can be a bummer, but that is the nature of the business and mandatory in any leasing office.

Advice to Management

I think community managers and service managers could handle more discretion of funds toward emergency maintenance, resident issues etc. I work in an old property, trust us that weird stuff happens in old buildings and let us fix it quickly.

Nov 4, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with Aimco. We do want to make a difference in our team members’ lives as well as our residents. If there is anything else you would ... More

2. "Senior Director"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Boston, MA

I worked at Aimco Apartment Homes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company in a tough industry! Strong senior management across the board. Quality people. Demanding schedule but with a solid support system.

Cons

Heavy work load as should be expected in a demanding 24/7 multifamily industry. Some night and weekend work is normal.

Advice to Management

You have the correct plan in place. Keep your focus and your success will continue!

3. "Keep Up the Great Work"

Pros

Some companies say that they have a certain culture, and fail to live by it or up to it, and AIMCO really breaks the mold when it comes to this. I truly believe that this company sets themselves apart with their culture. They care about their employees, and have given me all the tools to advance my career in a setting that is welcoming, rewarding, and challenging all at the same time. With AIMCO being my first position within a larger "corporate" company, I've been amazed at the level of collaboration between team members - whether it be at a regional level or all the way up to the top level executives. My opinions, efforts and work matter here, which hasn't been the case at most places I've worked.

Cons

Sometimes with this level of collaboration, lines can be blurred on personal or department responsibilities and can lead to things falling through the cracks. In my time here, changes have been made to address this, and I feel pretty confident that it will be corrected in the near future. Especially with a great team in place, people always pick up the slack and help each other out when needed to provide the best result for the residents.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Its not often you can be known by your name and not be a "number" at a company of this size.

5. "Excellent Company"

I worked at Aimco Apartment Homes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Aimco is dedicated to their share holders. A great place to work and a lot of innovative concepts to keep prices strong.

Cons

Too many lay-offs over a period of several years. Probably still laying off.

6. "Financial Analyst II"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Aimco Apartment Homes full-time

Pros

AIMCO is a great company to work for in all aspects. The culture of AIMCO is amazing and is something that is hard to describe but we all truly live with gusto and own our piece of the business as if it was our own. I enjoy coming to work knowing that I will be challenged on a daily basis and that my hard work and dedication doesn't go unnoticed. AIMCO loves to promote within and sets all of their employees up with goals to make that happen. AIMCO also gives back to its community by starting AIMCO Cares which gives each employee 10-15 hours of paid leave to donate to local charities and cauases. We do a lot of work with our veterans and work really hard to make our communities better. If you want to work for a company that cares about its employees, has a great vision and culture, offers competitive pay and benefits, loves to promote within and challenges each employee to work hard and OWN IT then AIMCO is a great place for you. I highly recommend AIMCO for an amazing career opportunity

Cons

Medical benefits are pretty generic and I would always love to see more 401k match but both are pretty standard for the industry.

Advice to Management

I would like to see us expand our footprint a little more. Other than that I feel like they do a fantastic job and keep doing what they are doing.

7. "Area Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plainsboro, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plainsboro, NJ

Pros

Good Starting salary and some great people on their teams

Cons

Poor leadership, changes have since been made

"Service department Administrative"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Aimco Apartment Homes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

oppurtunities for growth within the company

Cons

there is none, this company is great

Advice to Management

keep up the great work

Jan 12, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for leaving a review of Aimco! There are many growth opportunities to explore and we are happy to hear your passion around this!

9. "Project Analyst"

I have been working at Aimco Apartment Homes full-time

Pros

Open and friendly work environment.

Cons

Lack of training due to change in management.

10. "Good, bad, worse"

Former Employee - Assistant Community Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Community Manager

I worked at Aimco Apartment Homes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You will get training for the job by helpful coworkers. If your with a great a team you will thrive at your site.

Cons

Please stop hiring unethical and lazy workers. Your losing all your good, even great employees. Listen to your staff, make managers more accountable for their actions.

Advice to Management

Do better at hiring. I was an employee for 8 years. I seen at least 5 regional managers and at least 6 different community managers while I was with Aimco. With every different manager it seemed that the quality of work, quality of customer service was dropped. The residents are no longer important but the bottom line is. If you are in affordable this is not the company for you. If you are looking for advancement were your hard work is appreciated again this is not the company for you. Unfortunately I seen this company grow but I also seen that not being apart of a "click" you will not go far within this company.

"Room to grow to become a TOP Workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Aimco Apartment Homes (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fair pay, culture at the corporate office is good, a lot of opportunity for advancement and movement between teams/departments

Cons

Benefits are not competitive, no flexibility in work schedule, vast inconsistency in standards across departments

Advice to Management

In order to truly become a top workplace, you should consider being much less rigid at the corporate office with work schedules, dress code, etc. Trust your employees to get the work done.

Jan 12, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of Aimco. We value the feedback you provided here and we like to hear how we are doing both positively as well as in areas where we can grow as a ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed