Aimia Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Aimia Group Chief Executive Rupert Duchesne
Rupert Duchesne

Pros
  • good work environment and work-life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Work from home is accepted if not encouraged (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can sometimes be difficult to manage given workload and high expectations (in 7 reviews)

• No packaged products / solution, poor senior management (in 11 reviews)

1. "Merchandiser"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Aimia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Able to be involved in programs from proposal to fulfillment. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Professional growth stops unless I want to move to management. If I move to management I would not be able to use my merchandising skills.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Troy, MI

I worked at Aimia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, steady accounts, good location.

Cons

AIMIA call themselves a marketing firm when in actuality they are an advertising agency without any of the structure and perks of an actual agency. The company is decades behind in thinking and the Detroit office is a time warp to your mundane corporate environment of the 90's. It is extremely quiet and employees sit in tall cubicles and do not communicate with one another. There is zero innovation and new ideas are frequently rejected. In fact, most people have been employed at the company for 20+ years. Their many years at the company make them extremely resistant to new processes, vendors, people and change in general.

At AIMIA you are not set up for failure from the start. This medium sized agency does not have HR onsite. Their HR is based out of their Minneapolis office and before I started, their team incorrectly entered in my social security number and informed me my identity was stolen. Several days passed and I had to call their background check company myself to resolve the issue. To my sheer panic I was relieved when I found out their HR incorrectly entered in my information incorrectly into the system but things did not get better. I disclosed I had mandatory days I needed to take off and asked if I could push back my start date, but my request was denied. Upon my first week of work, HR failed to secure a computer and phone for me. I did not receive a computer for several days and never received a phone (I had to use my personal phone). Once I received a computer, their IT person informed me to log a ticket to their Minneapolis office to get situated which took several additional days.

Communicating with AIMIA's IT was extremely difficult and they blatantly refused to help, so any maintenance issues were put on hold for days and effected my work. If you had issues with printing, you had to call their Minneapolis office and stay on the phone for hours. If you needed new hardware, often time you had to bring your own from home. I also frequently saw their IT person in the bathroom sleeping.

AIMIA offer full service initiatives to their clients but are extremely dated in the digital realm. You will work on catalogues, brochures and grids. If you are given the opportunity to work on a digital project, the creative team will panic and deadlines will likely be missed due to incompetence and inexperience. If you need support, your boss will not know how to help you because he/she is more concerned with impressing clients with quantity of projects over quality of projects.

There is zero growth at AIMIA overall. You may receive a pay increase but you will learn no new skills and will fail at your next company should you decide to leave (most do not).

Advice to Management

Management constantly sit in their offices with the doors closed and do not interact with the greater team. Hire an HR and IT staff onsite so employees are not spending hours troubleshooting and are able to focus on their actual work. Purchase office supplies because they are are scarce. Realize you are extremely behind and have zero competitive advantage amongst other agencies.

3. "Disappointing and clearly needs diversity"

Pros

I did not have them sued.

Cons

Everything -

I remember hearing a hiring manager tell an independent company they did not want them sending over black or Nigerian candidates for any role.

As far as I remember I am sure that is illegal, but hey they don't care.

Everything about the company airs out immature.

Advice to Management

Grow up, learn about diversity and equality and learn to pay better.

"Upside down pyramid"

I have been working at Aimia full-time

Pros

good benefits, decent pay, talented employees

Cons

absent C level leadership, weak sales organization so no growth, overall value prop is full of cliches and lacks substance, top heavy with no real leadership

Advice to Management

develop and mandate ongoing platform training for everyone, hire locally for key leadership roles, wait for growth to promote

6. "Going in the wrong direction"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Downtown office - casual work atmosphere and office - most senior staff don't office out of Minnesota

Cons

No direction, need leaders on site

Advice to Management

Get senior management to take charge. Too casual

"Too top heavy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Aimia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job flexibility, opportunities to change roles/departments, still maintained some of the Carlson Companies values.

Cons

Very toxic environment and way too top heavy. Every year when layoffs happened, it was always the "worker bees" that were the first to go. Knock out a couple of the bigger salaried executives and you could have kept a lot more folks who actually do the day to day operations of the company instead of just piling more and more on those left standing. Don't tell the team we didn't make budget and incentives won't be paid out when your entire executive team rolls up in their new BMW's, Mercedes or Lexus' that are parked right out front for all to see because of their big yearly bonuses.

Advice to Management

Thin the heard up top - they are the ones making the decisions that don't succeed, yet they maintain their big $$ jobs while you let go the folks making a meager salary.

8. "Not good"

I have been working at Aimia full-time

Pros

work and family balance, team environment

Cons

career advancement, senior leader communication

"Leadership lacks entrepreneurialism or strategy"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President

I worked at Aimia full-time

Pros

Collegial group - always willing to help. Good joined-up global network. Strong(ish) brand in Canada.

Cons

(1) Haemorrhaging talent voluntarily, largely because the executive leadership team is full of operators (and passable ones at that) without a basic understanding of strategy.
    (2) No major initiatives other than the obvious one
    (3) Terrible talent management practices - borderline unethical from certain VPs

Advice to Management

Replace your senior talent - especially HR who talk a great game but protect their own above all else and do not understand the business. Bring in people who have grown a business, not just ex-Amex employees who don't know how to meaningfully grow a business. Stop protecting certain people on the executive team who have underperformed year after year but, because of their Air Canada heritage, are allowed to stay.

If interviewing, ask the question: "how many people - VP and above - in the last 18 mths have voluntarily and involuntarily left Aimia". While you may not be applying for a VP position, you will be deeply affected by the constant directionless change. Also check out the share price.

"Programmer"

Former Employee - Programmer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Programmer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Aimia (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, lots of different types of technologies to learn and utilize. Challenging atmosphere.

Cons

Many different clients and lots of work which requires quick time completion, management tries their best, but it's their lack of strong developers/programmers on the staff which create a sometimes stressful environment for the few who are there to maintain the programs.

Senior Management is not the strong, and over the years I've worked there has seen numerous changes and it's not likely to change any time soon.

"Not what they appear"

Former Employee - Product Management in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Product Management in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Aimia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company had money to invest.
    Work from home flexibility was nice.

Cons

Management had little industry experience.
    Sold surface products had little depth.
    Company diluted and confused in acquisition.
    Poor client retention .

Advice to Management

Find out your core competency and allow the subject matter experts to add value.
    Stop trying to be a consulting firm like McKinsey.