Aimia Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Aimia Group Chief Executive Rupert Duchesne
Rupert Duchesne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good work environment and work-life balance (in 35 reviews)

• Work from home is accepted if not encouraged (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little work life balance with lip service on the importance of this "corporate cornerstone" (in 10 reviews)

• No packaged products / solution, poor senior management (in 13 reviews)

1. "Love this place!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Troy, MI

I have been working at Aimia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel really set up for success here in my position. Really great people and personal work environment where I feel like people actually care about me. I have the autonomy on projects to allow for growth but support when I need it. The pay is competitive and benefits are great. I love working here and I see myself here for a while! Also, clients are great! They appreciate hard work and I am proud to be here working on this account. We have fun at work but are still held to a professional standard and strive for growth and that's really important to me.

Cons

Not a whole lot of cons. Definitely could use some facility and equipment upgrades but I believe it's in the works.

Advice to Management

I would say maybe upgrade facilities/equipment. Overall, I think we have great leadership here. They are approachable and offer an open door policy. I can stop in any time and my manager always has time for me.

"Not like Carlson"

I worked at Aimia full-time

Pros

The culture was decent. The company offered flexibility to make up for the below average opportunities and stress of the company/job.

Cons

Constantly in flux. Never knew which direction the wind would blow. Quarterly layoffs.

3. "There was pitential"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Aimia full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great, smart people work there. And they were passionate about what they did.

Cons

Lack of clear direction/vision from management. Had great people but didn't know how to get the most out of them.

Advice to Management

find a way to create a culture of winning/success instead of focusing on putting one fire out after the next.

"PM"

I worked at Aimia full-time

Pros

Great flexibility and ability to work from home.

Cons

Lack of communication and support from management and leadership
    Clients come first and therefore employees unfortunately come last although they may be trying to improve that (I think with the new ownership). I had to put my "soul" aside to meet the needs of clients. But truly, all I wanted was to do good for this company. However it never seemed enough.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees. They need guidance in a client focused business where hey give and give and give and feel strained, stressed and undervalued.

"Drop in stock says it all"

I worked at Aimia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people trying to do the right things

Cons

Lack of leadership. Lack of strategic direction. Chaos. What goes around, comes around...$2.13. Congrats.

Advice to Management

Stop the lies and deceit.

"Project Manager"

I worked at Aimia full-time

Pros

Downtown in a great location, flexible work schedules, casual environment, good benefits/vacation.

Cons

Losing business steadily for many years and yearly layoffs as a result.

7. "Merchandiser"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Aimia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Able to be involved in programs from proposal to fulfillment. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Professional growth stops unless I want to move to management. If I move to management I would not be able to use my merchandising skills.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Troy, MI

I worked at Aimia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, steady accounts, good location.

Cons

AIMIA call themselves a marketing firm when in actuality they are an advertising agency without any of the structure and perks of an actual agency. The company is decades behind in thinking and the Detroit office is a time warp to your mundane corporate environment of the 90's. It is extremely quiet and employees sit in tall cubicles and do not communicate with one another. There is zero innovation and new ideas are frequently rejected. In fact, most people have been employed at the company for 20+ years. Their many years at the company make them extremely resistant to new processes, vendors, people and change in general.

At AIMIA you are not set up for failure from the start. This medium sized agency does not have HR onsite. Their HR is based out of their Minneapolis office and before I started, their team incorrectly entered in my social security number and informed me my identity was stolen. Several days passed and I had to call their background check company myself to resolve the issue. To my sheer panic I was relieved when I found out their HR incorrectly entered in my information incorrectly into the system but things did not get better. I disclosed I had mandatory days I needed to take off and asked if I could push back my start date, but my request was denied. Upon my first week of work, HR failed to secure a computer and phone for me. I did not receive a computer for several days and never received a phone (I had to use my personal phone). Once I received a computer, their IT person informed me to log a ticket to their Minneapolis office to get situated which took several additional days.

Communicating with AIMIA's IT was extremely difficult and they blatantly refused to help, so any maintenance issues were put on hold for days and effected my work. If you had issues with printing, you had to call their Minneapolis office and stay on the phone for hours. If you needed new hardware, often time you had to bring your own from home. I also frequently saw their IT person in the bathroom sleeping.

AIMIA offer full service initiatives to their clients but are extremely dated in the digital realm. You will work on catalogues, brochures and grids. If you are given the opportunity to work on a digital project, the creative team will panic and deadlines will likely be missed due to incompetence and inexperience. If you need support, your boss will not know how to help you because he/she is more concerned with impressing clients with quantity of projects over quality of projects.

There is zero growth at AIMIA overall. You may receive a pay increase but you will learn no new skills and will fail at your next company should you decide to leave (most do not).

Advice to Management

Management constantly sit in their offices with the doors closed and do not interact with the greater team. Hire an HR and IT staff onsite so employees are not spending hours troubleshooting and are able to focus on their actual work. Purchase office supplies because they are are scarce. Realize you are extremely behind and have zero competitive advantage amongst other agencies.

"Disappointing and clearly needs diversity"

Pros

I did not have them sued.

Cons

Everything -

I remember hearing a hiring manager tell an independent company they did not want them sending over black or Nigerian candidates for any role.

As far as I remember I am sure that is illegal, but hey they don't care.

Everything about the company airs out immature.

Advice to Management

Grow up, learn about diversity and equality and learn to pay better.

"Upside down pyramid"

I have been working at Aimia full-time

Pros

good benefits, decent pay, talented employees

Cons

absent C level leadership, weak sales organization so no growth, overall value prop is full of cliches and lacks substance, top heavy with no real leadership

Advice to Management

develop and mandate ongoing platform training for everyone, hire locally for key leadership roles, wait for growth to promote