Aimia Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Aimia Group Chief Executive Rupert Duchesne
Rupert Duchesne

Pros
  • good work environment and work-life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Work from home is accepted if not encouraged (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little work life balance with lip service on the importance of this "corporate cornerstone" (in 9 reviews)

• No packaged products / solution, poor senior management (in 12 reviews)

1. "Love this place!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Troy, MI

I have been working at Aimia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel really set up for success here in my position. Really great people and personal work environment where I feel like people actually care about me. I have the autonomy on projects to allow for growth but support when I need it. The pay is competitive and benefits are great. I love working here and I see myself here for a while! Also, clients are great! They appreciate hard work and I am proud to be here working on this account. We have fun at work but are still held to a professional standard and strive for growth and that's really important to me.

Cons

Not a whole lot of cons. Definitely could use some facility and equipment upgrades but I believe it's in the works.

Advice to Management

I would say maybe upgrade facilities/equipment. Overall, I think we have great leadership here. They are approachable and offer an open door policy. I can stop in any time and my manager always has time for me.

2. "Merchandiser"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Aimia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Able to be involved in programs from proposal to fulfillment. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Professional growth stops unless I want to move to management. If I move to management I would not be able to use my merchandising skills.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Troy, MI

I worked at Aimia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, steady accounts, good location.

Cons

AIMIA call themselves a marketing firm when in actuality they are an advertising agency without any of the structure and perks of an actual agency. The company is decades behind in thinking and the Detroit office is a time warp to your mundane corporate environment of the 90's. It is extremely quiet and employees sit in tall cubicles and do not communicate with one another. There is zero innovation and new ideas are frequently rejected. In fact, most people have been employed at the company for 20+ years. Their many years at the company make them extremely resistant to new processes, vendors, people and change in general.

At AIMIA you are not set up for failure from the start. This medium sized agency does not have HR onsite. Their HR is based out of their Minneapolis office and before I started, their team incorrectly entered in my social security number and informed me my identity was stolen. Several days passed and I had to call their background check company myself to resolve the issue. To my sheer panic I was relieved when I found out their HR incorrectly entered in my information incorrectly into the system but things did not get better. I disclosed I had mandatory days I needed to take off and asked if I could push back my start date, but my request was denied. Upon my first week of work, HR failed to secure a computer and phone for me. I did not receive a computer for several days and never received a phone (I had to use my personal phone). Once I received a computer, their IT person informed me to log a ticket to their Minneapolis office to get situated which took several additional days.

Communicating with AIMIA's IT was extremely difficult and they blatantly refused to help, so any maintenance issues were put on hold for days and effected my work. If you had issues with printing, you had to call their Minneapolis office and stay on the phone for hours. If you needed new hardware, often time you had to bring your own from home. I also frequently saw their IT person in the bathroom sleeping.

AIMIA offer full service initiatives to their clients but are extremely dated in the digital realm. You will work on catalogues, brochures and grids. If you are given the opportunity to work on a digital project, the creative team will panic and deadlines will likely be missed due to incompetence and inexperience. If you need support, your boss will not know how to help you because he/she is more concerned with impressing clients with quantity of projects over quality of projects.

There is zero growth at AIMIA overall. You may receive a pay increase but you will learn no new skills and will fail at your next company should you decide to leave (most do not).

Advice to Management

Management constantly sit in their offices with the doors closed and do not interact with the greater team. Hire an HR and IT staff onsite so employees are not spending hours troubleshooting and are able to focus on their actual work. Purchase office supplies because they are are scarce. Realize you are extremely behind and have zero competitive advantage amongst other agencies.

4. "Going in the wrong direction"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Downtown office - casual work atmosphere and office - most senior staff don't office out of Minnesota

Cons

No direction, need leaders on site

Advice to Management

Get senior management to take charge. Too casual

"Too top heavy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Aimia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job flexibility, opportunities to change roles/departments, still maintained some of the Carlson Companies values.

Cons

Very toxic environment and way too top heavy. Every year when layoffs happened, it was always the "worker bees" that were the first to go. Knock out a couple of the bigger salaried executives and you could have kept a lot more folks who actually do the day to day operations of the company instead of just piling more and more on those left standing. Don't tell the team we didn't make budget and incentives won't be paid out when your entire executive team rolls up in their new BMW's, Mercedes or Lexus' that are parked right out front for all to see because of their big yearly bonuses.

Advice to Management

Thin the heard up top - they are the ones making the decisions that don't succeed, yet they maintain their big $$ jobs while you let go the folks making a meager salary.

"Programmer"

Former Employee - Programmer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Programmer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Aimia (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, lots of different types of technologies to learn and utilize. Challenging atmosphere.

Cons

Many different clients and lots of work which requires quick time completion, management tries their best, but it's their lack of strong developers/programmers on the staff which create a sometimes stressful environment for the few who are there to maintain the programs.

Senior Management is not the strong, and over the years I've worked there has seen numerous changes and it's not likely to change any time soon.

"Not what they appear"

Former Employee - Product Management in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Product Management in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Aimia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company had money to invest.
    Work from home flexibility was nice.

Cons

Management had little industry experience.
    Sold surface products had little depth.
    Company diluted and confused in acquisition.
    Poor client retention .

Advice to Management

Find out your core competency and allow the subject matter experts to add value.
    Stop trying to be a consulting firm like McKinsey.

8. "Tough Place"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Troy, MI

Pros

Great flex time and telecommuting opportunities.

Cons

Poorly managed IT department. If you weren't one of the original core employees then you were an outsider and treated accordingly. There was a certain degree of favoritism. a plan was being developed to outsource all development work.

Advice to Management

Think twice about outsourcing. Foster a more inclusive environment.

"Fun work, bad management team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Aimia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun accounts and projects to work on and great, talented people to work with

Cons

Management at that time was awful

Advice to Management

Be ethical

10. "Good company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Aimia (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many great, hard-working and dedicated employees. Trying to make it a collaborative and fun environment. Flexible work arrangements.

Cons

As with many companies, there is continuous change and reorganization.