Air Products Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Air Products Chairman, President and CEO Seifi Ghasemi
Seifi Ghasemi

Pros
Cons
  • New CEO, now entire company to be organized by geographic region (in 21 reviews)

• Limited career advancement opportunities (except at HQ), bureaucratic/slow decision making, wage growth doesn't keep up with real inflation (in 9 reviews)

1. "Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Research Engineer in Hersham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Research Engineer in Hersham, England (UK)

Pros

Staff were knowledgeable and really helpful.
    Dynamic culture where you could see that stuff actually gets done.
    No pressure was put on you, it felt comfortable to ask questions and for more clarification.
    The company has a diverse range of Engineers with lots of experience.
    Great R&D team and good collaboration with other sites in particular in Allentown.
    Great place for young engineers to learn and gain lots and knowledge and experience.
    Salaries are good.
    Good facilities and location.
    Opportunities exist for collaborations with university/academic projects

Cons

Quite a small R&D group
    There weren't a lot of job openings for graduates
    It seemed like they would only recruit people if someone had left their position.
    Communication between departments could be better
    Interns were somewhat treated like "interns" and not "staff"
    Some staff were a bit snooty.

Advice to Management

As an intern, I was not in much contact with the upper management but my supervisor was great, resourceful, happy to help and answer questions. When I had difficulties, he was helpful and quick to helping me solve them. He provided helpful and constructive feedback. My supervisors managers were also really supportive and understood my project which they just let me get on with.

2. "plant maintainance gd operative"

Former Employee - GD Maintenance Operative in Ellesmere Port, England (UK)
    Former Employee - GD Maintenance Operative in Ellesmere Port, England (UK)

I worked at Air Products full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

the wages were good at the time

Cons

very poor management had no respect for contractors I was treated unfairly as I had suffered many years of bullying and was victimised

Advice to Management

contractors are actually people to have some respect for them as I was bullied and victimised and have a good look at the management that's in place

3. "Meh"

Former Employee - Call Agent in Hersham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Call Agent in Hersham, England (UK)

Pros

easy no challenge little work

Cons

dull boring uninteresting slow quiet

5. "Technical Writer"

Current Employee - Writer in Middlesbrough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Writer in Middlesbrough, England (UK)

I have been working at Air Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Highly regulted, professional and responsible company invested in its employees and the environment. A world leader with good rates of pay and a real investor in its personnel.

Cons

Lots of red tape means slow progress, although this is due to a safety first approach. Strong, entrenched culture (the AP way) not great when proposing new methods and ideas.

Advice to Management

Difficult to advise so successful a company. as a world leading company with cutting edge technology, maybe even more focus on employee training and skilling up for the future.

"Not the company it used to be"

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Air Products full-time

Pros

This has always been a company that encouraged people to switch roles frequently and get a wide range of experiences. Management were always supportive and easy to talk to and the team culture was great. Good people were supported to try new things. The graduate training programme is world class with some opportunities for assignments abroad.

There has always been mutual flexibility. When the business needs you (like when a plant breaks down), you drop everything to help. When you need to work from home or do flexible hours, the business accommodates you.

The compensation is fair and the benefits are quite good. Not the highest pay possible, but good when you consider that you also get a reasonable work-life balance and nice company culture.

Cons

The new CEO (who joined 18 months ago and was installed by a hedge fund) has ripped the heart out of this company. He only focuses on EBITDA and the share price in the next couple of years. We are showing record profits right now because no-one is getting trained, plants aren't getting maintained and R&D has ground to a halt.

While we have had a few rounds of redundancies in the last decade, for the first time ever, the most capable employees in the company are being made redundant, with no effort to move them and no concern over knowledge management and our ability to innovate in the future. The R&D departments are becoming almost non-existent. Engineering and operations are experiencing huge cuts in workforce that never seem to end, with the remaining employees being given a workload so high that our highly prized culture of safety is at risk. I can no longer tell when one round of redundancies ends and another begins. This is not the same company I joined 9 years ago.

Advice to Management

Change the CEO and get this hateful hedge fund off our board by any means possible! Failing that, at least make some sort of plan for how we are going to innovate and keep pace with our competitors in the long run. Make more effort to keep the best employees. A huge amount of knowledge is walking out of the door and right into the arms of our competitors.

"Was great, but going downhill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hersham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hersham, England (UK)

I worked at Air Products full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are great and I loved working at Air Products. I got to move around the company and was able to get some great experience in business and technical roles.

Cons

The new CEO seems intend on raising profits in the short term by cutting workforce with no consideration to what will happen in the longer term. It seems clear that the company is being prepared for breaking up and selling off. Middle managers appear not to like what is happening but are powerless to stop it.

Advice to Management

Your employees are your most valuable asset, don't waste them.

8. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Hersham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Hersham, England (UK)

I worked at Air Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing People, I have worked for 4 companies now, and none could compare to Air Products in terms of quality of people.

Cons

Same as everywhere. Politics, continuous org. changes which meant that individual effort was easily forgotten.

Advice to Management

Stop changing things, let the talent you have manage you through hard times.

9. "Assistant technology manager"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Hersham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Hersham, England (UK)

I worked at Air Products part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good friendly company to work for.

Cons

Can get paid more elsewhere

10. "Very Good Company"

Former Employee - Mechanical Project Engineer in Walton-on-Thames, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Mechanical Project Engineer in Walton-on-Thames, England (UK)

I worked at Air Products full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent Senior Management and work/life balance

Cons

Company is changing and loosing dynamism and diversity

11. "Good Company to work for in the main"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Air Products full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people everyone up to lower middle management seem to be bothered about their people
    Good working conditions
    Excellent opportunities to travel (dependent on role)
    Flexible if you need to work from home on occasion
    A brand new CEO not from the best mates club that used to be the way to the top....hopefully in for a great shake up

Cons

at the moment still too slow in making decisions has the mentality of a small engineering firm
    no consistency of plant build
    Managers will always pass the blame to others for their failings
    different departments are in silo's ,managers try to kingdom build a lot of us and them
    too busy with CI,non productive meetings , low cost sourcing
    Too many levels of process before you get to an end result
    Too many levels of management

Advice to Management

Shed some management levels theres too many taking a very very good salary for doing not a lot, empower the people who actually have the best intentions for the company they work for.
    You have plenty of people who achieve and exceed their targets and KPI's but are overlooked in favour of CDP's and the best mates club.
    Engineers do not make the best managers
    break away from Global and aim at regional representation, too US concentric with no idea on regional differences
    All the best to the new CEO already within the ranks there is positivity and this is only a month into his new position, probably not so in the upper management though