Airbnb Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Airbnb CEO & Co-Founder Brian Chesky
Brian Chesky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Airbnb offers an amazing Work/Life balance with amazing benefits" (in 29 reviews)

• "500 in Airbnb credits per quarter, free food (breakfast/lunch/dinner), and all the cool Silicon Valley perks" (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance depends on how badly you want to succeed/advance" (in 57 reviews)

• "Typical growing pains of midsized start up" (in 33 reviews)

1. "A good place to start"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Airbnb (Less than a year)

Pros

good salary, good communication,friendly management,good oportunity, great value proposition

Cons

sometimes can be stressful,time differences with other offices, most are young colleagues,

"Working here over a year..."

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Compensation: pays more than any other tech company (Google, FB, etc) PLUS new cash bonus PLUS can choose to take your equity refreshers (no cliff) in cash. They also bump everyone to above midpoint of the range, which is really kind and close any gaps for pay equity.

- Business is doing really well: we're profitable, have money to invest in employees + new ventures, never worried about money. Not even having a round of funding for this far out is amazing.

- Great benefits. Free airbnb credits (never expire), lots of PTO and time off, easy parking lot next to the building (they reimburse the price), free lyft credits, top notch food program, etc.

- Management is honest about their pitfalls and is honest about fixing it. I appreciate this because they could sweep it under the rug.

- We're heavily invested in our infrastructure as a 2019 focus. Even hired a CTO who has decades of infrastructure heavy lifting under his belt. Sweet!

- People are really kind and helpful. Fairly rare. There are always going to be politics because people befriend eachother, but honestly you can set up a meeting with a director and they will help you resolve easily. As long as you speak out, people will listen.

Cons

Typical growing pains for our size, honestly. For a long time, Airbnb was flat and you could grow your career quickly since the company was small. Now they're trying to add ways to grow your career and make it defined and achievable since there's not low hanging fruit from a flat org, which is good. There's also increased attrition for people who have been here 5-7+ years, but honestly I think fresh people who are excited and new have been better for my team personally. Many managers are also junior, but we've started to hire senior managers - my manager's manager has been doing a great job shaping and changing, which I appreciate.

Advice to Management

Get more senior managers rather than junior, it's been helping out. Check their participation rates and hapiness of their reports before hiring them though. Be more stringent on 1st time managers because it's dangerous. Can we have more conference rooms? :)

3. "Account Representative"

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Food, Insurance, relaxing atmosphere, people

Cons

Pay is much lower than the average

Advice to Management

Start thinking about your employees more- direct management

4. "Phone Interview"

Current Employee - Security Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Security Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Business Model, Attractive business outcomes

Cons

Business Model needs to be extended

5. "Security Analyst"

Current Employee - Security Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Security Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fulfilling work. Consistent hours. Decent starting pay for San Francisco. Free food. Good referance on the resume for later work.

Cons

Commuting can be terrible. Parking is a problem for a company that owns so many buildings, it seems like they could aquire the local lots. Hopefully aquisition of the latest building will reduce the problem with the lot on the roof.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Listen to your mid level managers.

6. "Amazing company, full of learning"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time

Pros

-Genuinely nice and smart people
    -Thoughtful growth strategy
    -Fulfilling job: people take all roles seriously

Cons

Really can't think of anything

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

beautiful office, good pay, technical projects

Cons

engineering culture gotten worse, inexperienced and bad managers, lots of politics

"Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture, benefits, Work life balance, wonderful people, and a mission that lines up well with my personal values.

Cons

Our CEO has amazing ideas and moves very quickly, however our technical infrastructure, and the rest of the company seems to move like dinosaurs

Advice to Management

Fill out the executive staff which is missing so many people, And please follow through on rebuilding the site infrastructure to give us the agility we need to be successful

"Explosive growth with an excellent culture and mission!"

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Summary: I'm really happy here and it's the best job I've ever had. That said, details:

1. People: The people here are really smart, really nice, and really accommodating of healthy work/life balance which is CRAZY important for longevity and long-term happiness. The people are a pleasure to work with, they're helpful, knowledgeable, and REALLY passionate about the company. I have an amazing Manager who advocates for me and it's been such a great experience.

2. Projects: The projects here are those you can't find elsewhere simply because Airbnb is a one-of-a-kind company. A lot of the operational problems we're building and fixing haven't been navigated before. You have a chance to create new processes, projects, and impact in this industry.

3. Culture: This place is serious about its culture or "Core Values": do the right thing, advance the mission, don't backstab, don't throw people under the bus, and stand up for the underdog. To give you an idea of the kind of people we want: one of our people raised $20 million for immigrant kids separated from their parents on Facebook-- the largest fundraiser in Facebook's history.

4. Benefits + Compensation: They'll comp you properly, trust me. Airbnb gives a generous total compensation package with lots of stock, fully covered health care/dental/vision for you, $500 in Airbnb credits per quarter, free food (breakfast/lunch/dinner), and all the cool Silicon Valley perks.

5. Flexibility: Work from home, work remotely, take PTO-- just make sure your projects get done. A+++ on this.

Cons

1. Disorganization: Hyper growth mode has created some disorganization and issues with accountability. It can be difficult to get things done with random PTOs and a softer culture when it comes to communication.

2. Career advancement: Upward mobility/ career advancement expectations can be slow or unclear because of the disorganization. You have to advocate for yourself and develop a great relationship with your manager.

3. Liquidity: Airbnb isn't a public company so those looking to sell their stocks need to wait for a liquidity event or for the company to IPO. As much as stocks are great, they can't pay the bills so giving employees more opportunity to cash out is important for those of us who aren't billionaires. FYI leadership listened to this complaint and they recently gave us a new way to cash out some of our stock + comp which is a great start.

Advice to Management

1. Create and communicate clear paths for career growth and advancement. This is the best way to retain your highest performers who are hungry for more responsibility and impact.

2. Preserve the culture here. It's an amazing and unique strength of the company. You became successful with the current culture; protect it whether or not you decide to go public.

"Lots of perks but management and culture are an issue"

Former Employee - ITX IT Resource in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - ITX IT Resource in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, $500 Quarterly Airbnb voucher, Bonus program

Cons

Management Changes and Politics, Poor Direction and Strategy, Financial Pressures Pre-IPO, Design Methodology is not working with Engineering code

Advice to Management

Cutout the managers who are playing political games, focus on teams and survey results to indicate poor management, address issues with attrition