Airbnb Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Airbnb CEO & Co-Founder Brian Chesky
Brian Chesky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Airbnb offers an amazing Work/Life balance with amazing benefits" (in 29 reviews)

• "500 in Airbnb credits per quarter, free food (breakfast/lunch/dinner), and all the cool Silicon Valley perks" (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance depends on how badly you want to succeed/advance" (in 57 reviews)

• "Typical growing pains of midsized start up" (in 31 reviews)

"A great place for data scientists"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of great people (smart, skilled, empathetic & kind) both on the DS team and across the company.
    - Tons of opportunities to learn and grows as a DS through great lunch & learns (with great external speakers as well), internal workshops and mini-conference like data days. Amazing for data nerds. Lots of opportunities for DS mentorship from experienced folks if you seek it out. $1000 Education stipend.
    - Competitive compensation for DS and other positions. Company is profitable and usually generous to its employees.
    - All the usual great perks of a Sillicon Valley company like food, great snacks, flexible working hours, lots of benefits etc + $2000 in Airbnb credits/year
    - Great tooling and always improving on this (Knowledge Repo, data portal, R, Python servers, modeling platform etc)
    - Decent company growth and diversification
    - Not everything is perfect, but DS leadership listens, is open to feedback and acts on the feedback
    - Great company and DS brand
    - Strong data culture: data has a strong voice and DS are respected. People are eager to learn more about data through Data U. Focus on data self sufficiency etc.
    - Absolutely stunning office. Visitors are always amazed.
    - Inclusive, diverse and welcoming culture

Cons

- Waiting for IPO. Company took action to increase cash comp in the meantime (which was highly appreciated!), but still would be great to IPO soon
    - Still lots of improvement for data tooling (Superset, pipelining etc) and data quality
    - Often stretched thin, which can be stressful. Need to hire more DS faster
    - Food is sometimes great, sometimes just ok
    - Wish the office was closer to public transportation. Lyft credits mostly solve this, though.
    - Sometimes I feel like there can be too much of a SJW vibe, but I suppose this is a byproduct of having lots of highly empathetic and kind people.

2. "Amazing company, full of learning"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time

Pros

-Genuinely nice and smart people
    -Thoughtful growth strategy
    -Fulfilling job: people take all roles seriously

Cons

Really can't think of anything

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

beautiful office, good pay, technical projects

Cons

engineering culture gotten worse, inexperienced and bad managers, lots of politics

4. "Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture, benefits, Work life balance, wonderful people, and a mission that lines up well with my personal values.

Cons

Our CEO has amazing ideas and moves very quickly, however our technical infrastructure, and the rest of the company seems to move like dinosaurs

Advice to Management

Fill out the executive staff which is missing so many people, And please follow through on rebuilding the site infrastructure to give us the agility we need to be successful

"Explosive growth with an excellent culture and mission!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Summary: I'm really happy here and it's the best job I've ever had. That said, details:

1. People: The people here are really smart, really nice, and really accommodating of healthy work/life balance which is CRAZY important for longevity and long-term happiness. The people are a pleasure to work with, they're helpful, knowledgeable, and REALLY passionate about the company. I have an amazing Manager who advocates for me and it's been such a great experience.

2. Projects: The projects here are those you can't find elsewhere simply because Airbnb is a one-of-a-kind company. A lot of the operational problems we're building and fixing haven't been navigated before. You have a chance to create new processes, projects, and impact in this industry.

3. Culture: This place is serious about its culture or "Core Values": do the right thing, advance the mission, don't backstab, don't throw people under the bus, and stand up for the underdog. To give you an idea of the kind of people we want: one of our people raised $20 million for immigrant kids separated from their parents on Facebook-- the largest fundraiser in Facebook's history.

4. Benefits + Compensation: They'll comp you properly, trust me. Airbnb gives a generous total compensation package with lots of stock, fully covered health care/dental/vision for you, $500 in Airbnb credits per quarter, free food (breakfast/lunch/dinner), and all the cool Silicon Valley perks.

5. Flexibility: Work from home, work remotely, take PTO-- just make sure your projects get done. A+++ on this.

Cons

1. Disorganization: Hyper growth mode has created some disorganization and issues with accountability. It can be difficult to get things done with random PTOs and a softer culture when it comes to communication.

2. Career advancement: Upward mobility/ career advancement expectations can be slow or unclear because of the disorganization. You have to advocate for yourself and develop a great relationship with your manager.

3. Liquidity: Airbnb isn't a public company so those looking to sell their stocks need to wait for a liquidity event or for the company to IPO. As much as stocks are great, they can't pay the bills so giving employees more opportunity to cash out is important for those of us who aren't billionaires. FYI leadership listened to this complaint and they recently gave us a new way to cash out some of our stock + comp which is a great start.

Advice to Management

1. Create and communicate clear paths for career growth and advancement. This is the best way to retain your highest performers who are hungry for more responsibility and impact.

2. Preserve the culture here. It's an amazing and unique strength of the company. You became successful with the current culture; protect it whether or not you decide to go public.

"Lots of perks but management and culture are an issue"

Former Employee - ITX IT Resource in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - ITX IT Resource in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, $500 Quarterly Airbnb voucher, Bonus program

Cons

Management Changes and Politics, Poor Direction and Strategy, Financial Pressures Pre-IPO, Design Methodology is not working with Engineering code

Advice to Management

Cutout the managers who are playing political games, focus on teams and survey results to indicate poor management, address issues with attrition

"Good in general, serious issue in data tech stack"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The business has good potential. Culture is great. Most people are very nice. Benefits are above average. Office very beautiful. Great IT equipments.

Cons

The management is mediocre. I heard there are people got promoted to very high level of for trash product. I never seen the cases though. Tech vision and leadership is weak. The data tech stack is absurd, I can't get my work done under such Dev environment.

"Service Manager"

Former Employee - Service Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Service Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great perks, friendly people, cool company

Cons

large company, working long hours

"Good business, toxic culture, lame technology"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good business. Beautiful office. Good work-life balance. Competitive compensation. Some 401k match. Overall nice people.

Cons

Rather political environment - it seems to me that making "friends" and pleasing your manager is more important than doing solid work. Fake and hypocritical. I feel they don't practice what they preach.

Another complaint I have is on the engineering side. There are many talented engineers hired from top schools and FB/GOOG/AMZN/LNKD/MSFT, but miraculously the quality of Airbnb's engineering is not that good, as you can tell from how slow the website and the app are even today. Again, this probably is related to the culture of the company.

Advice to Management

Get rid of those senior managers who only care about their own "career" and how to make their managers happy. Foster more transparent, real merit-based incentives and culture.

"Welp"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They were a very lax company.

Cons

Company had no structure, overall ok.