Airbnb Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Airbnb CEO & Co-Founder Brian Chesky
Brian Chesky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "work life balance is reasonable" (in 26 reviews)

• "Great benefits from free food and drinks" (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • "But work/life balance is possible" (in 56 reviews)

• "Some growing pains around organizational grown" (in 31 reviews)

1. "Good pay"

Current Employee - Business Development Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Above market pay compared to other tech firms

Cons

Lack of perks compare to peers

2. "Managing Director LATAM"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Company and tons of potential.

Cons

Due to the companies growth, sometimes there is no clear organization

"Awesome place to work as a Data Scientist"

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Data Scientists are valued partners and have a seat at the table when key decisions are made. PMs seek out my input to opportunity size projects, and when I have an idea that I want to drive, they listen. My eng leader is keen to invest in data in order to support my and my team's work.
    2) The team has a wealth of expertise in many fields of data science, ML, forecasting, Analytics, etc. Whenever I have a question, there is always someone on the team who is an expert that I can learn from.
    3) I really like our internal tools - both Airflow and Superset are two of my favorite new tools since joining Airbnb. Also our internal experimentation platform.
    4) I'm excited to work for a company that I think is genuinely making the world a better place by helping people connect and belong. I came to the US as a refugee, and Airbnb's stand for refugees made me proud to work here.
    5) Internal mobility on the data science team is strongly encouraged and supported. Once you've been in your role for a year or two, you can start looking at other roles if you're interested. So there are always more problems to solve!

Cons

1) Airbnb moves really fast - roadmaps change frequently and it's sometimes hard to keep up.
    2) While we're getting better at it, we still don't always think very long term.

Advice to Management

Really internalize "infinite horizon". Amazon spent a long time not making any money and building for the long term, while being a public company. We're a private company and should have even more flexibility to do just that.

4. "Amazing culture, mission, colleagues"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company lives and breathes its culture, they hire people that are committed to teamwork and the mission. A lot of flexibility with work hours, leadership is very understanding of career growth requests, and they're open to input

Cons

Startup culture moves in a messy pace, there can be lack of coordination and accountability at certain levels due to the hyper growth

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

"Amazing culture and impactful work!"

I have been working at Airbnb full-time

Pros

I am very proud of the culture and impact of our data science team. We have one of the most diverse teams in industry, with more than 120 Data Scientists working on all aspects of the business. I could not be happier to come to work every day, and see the value that we are adding to the company, and to the data science community more broadly through open-source projects and participation at top conferences.

Cons

All the challenges expected from a fast-growing team and company.

"Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb (More than a year)

Pros

- There is a mature acceptance that recruiting can be seasonal, and I've never felt that one bad quarter would tank my career. Having worked at other tech companies I feel this is particularly special
    - People aren't possessive over leads and there is a culture of sharing
    - A great team, and amazing company culture
    - Support in career growth, in and out of recruiting

Cons

- Lack of transparency from leadership

"Great company and top-notch data science"

I have been working at Airbnb full-time

Pros

The data scientists at Airbnb are the best out there. Incredibly smart, from all over the world, and also good and kind people (the best combination). The work is high impact and there is a lot of momentum for evolving the work and function. The demand for data science is high and business partners are hungry for data science expertise. Data university is an incredible program to empower the company with data, and it's a reflection of how awesome the data scientists are that they drive and support this program. It's also neat that unlike at other companies data science experts are in every part of the business and yet keep in touch with each other and have forums to share work (like a weekly learning lunch).

The company itself is fantastic as well. Founder led after 10 years and Brian and leadership have made some great hires recently, driving an inspiring vision for Airbnb.

The company just makes good decisions. I have total faith that we will continue to improve and do amazing work.

Cons

Sometimes things don't move as fast as I'd like, but it's definitely improving and an area of focus

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on how to get work done and take the big ideas to concrete plans

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to learn and grow career

Cons

None that I can think of

"Style over substance"

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- More diverse workforce than other tech companies I've been at, which is heartening

Cons

- Work/Life balance is non-existent. Good luck trying to have a personal life after you start working here.
    - The pay is pretty paltry, no bonus structure, equity package is nothing to write home about.
    - Decisions are frequently based on "feelings" rather than data, which can be infuriating. Data-driven decision making and overall rigor is not something that's naturally part of the culture. It varies team to team based on whether someone came from a company that was better at utilizing data in everyday work.
    - Airbnb likes to do everything their own way even if there are existing solutions in the market. Not very smart if they think reinventing the wheel is always the right decision.
    - The caliber of employees at Airbnb is not nearly as good as ones I've worked with at "Big 4" tech companies, but they sure think they are hot shots. A lot of arrogance fuels the company at every level. There's a lot of style over substance here.
    - The SF office looks great out in the atrium, but the desk areas tend to be dark, cramped and loud. Not the best environment for concentrating and getting things done.
    - Employees get their personal items stolen off their desks on a regular basis with little assistance from Security team.
    - This is very much a hospitality company first and foremost, and a tech company second. Quite a culture shock if you're coming from a die hard tech company (consumer/enterprise software, AR, VR, robotics, gaming, etc). I've experienced this numerous times: mentioning something marginally technical and being faced with blank stares.
    - The company is a hot mess internally. No standardization in software, minimal cross-team collaboration, no version history in the codebase (well there might be some but not for everything that gets committed), lots of politics and jockeying for position/visibility, teams are very protective rather than collaborative seemingly forgetting we all work at the same place for the same goals.

Advice to Management

- Brian is not a leader who inspires confidence. None of the founders actually do. They don't hold a candle to the likes of Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Larry & Sergey, Elon Musk, etc.
    - Disappointing LT left since he was getting us on track to growing up and doing things smartly.
    - Focus on doing a few things really well, not a million things at below average. We're currently doing the latter.
    - The culture enables arrogance and people being jerks to each other. The Core Values interviews are a failure since they don't seem to be able to sniff this out.

"Timing is everything"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, very engaging company culture. We are spoiled. Lots of personal development opportunities. It's like being in a university where there are many extra curricular activities to be involved with. You're allowed to voice your opinion without reprimand. Employees stand in solidarity with one another.
    Data University is great!
    Ergonomic office
    Beautiful campus globally

Cons

Processes have become more bureaucratic. Projects get scraped if it's not sexy enough.
     My department was prideful about working in the realms of ambiguity. I personally think this is an unhealthy habit to work under.
    There is movement, but you have to be smart and act on it. However, even if you move into a new role, it's not always guaranteed secure or of any value towards your career development.
    Lots of unnecessary spending to keep us "happy", it ends up cutting opportunities for other important things.

Advice to Management

Go back to the old core value of "Simplify". Things seem to have gotten very messy in terms of leadership and management.