Airbnb Reviews | Glassdoor

Airbnb CEO & Co-Founder Brian Chesky
Brian Chesky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "But work/life balance is possible" (in 56 reviews)

• "Some growing pains around organizational grown" (in 31 reviews)

1. "A great place for data scientists"

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of great people (smart, skilled, empathetic & kind) both on the DS team and across the company.
    - Tons of opportunities to learn and grows as a DS through great lunch & learns (with great external speakers as well), internal workshops and mini-conference like data days. Amazing for data nerds. Lots of opportunities for DS mentorship from experienced folks if you seek it out. $1000 Education stipend.
    - Competitive compensation for DS and other positions. Company is profitable and usually generous to its employees.
    - All the usual great perks of a Sillicon Valley company like food, great snacks, flexible working hours, lots of benefits etc + $2000 in Airbnb credits/year
    - Great tooling and always improving on this (Knowledge Repo, data portal, R, Python servers, modeling platform etc)
    - Decent company growth and diversification
    - Not everything is perfect, but DS leadership listens, is open to feedback and acts on the feedback
    - Great company and DS brand
    - Strong data culture: data has a strong voice and DS are respected. People are eager to learn more about data through Data U. Focus on data self sufficiency etc.
    - Absolutely stunning office. Visitors are always amazed.
    - Inclusive, diverse and welcoming culture

Cons

- Waiting for IPO. Company took action to increase cash comp in the meantime (which was highly appreciated!), but still would be great to IPO soon
    - Still lots of improvement for data tooling (Superset, pipelining etc) and data quality
    - Often stretched thin, which can be stressful. Need to hire more DS faster
    - Food is sometimes great, sometimes just ok
    - Wish the office was closer to public transportation. Lyft credits mostly solve this, though.
    - Sometimes I feel like there can be too much of a SJW vibe, but I suppose this is a byproduct of having lots of highly empathetic and kind people.

"Explosive growth with an excellent culture and mission!"

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Summary: I'm really happy here and it's the best job I've ever had. That said, details:

1. People: The people here are really smart, really nice, and really accommodating of healthy work/life balance which is CRAZY important for longevity and long-term happiness. The people are a pleasure to work with, they're helpful, knowledgeable, and REALLY passionate about the company. I have an amazing Manager who advocates for me and it's been such a great experience.

2. Projects: The projects here are those you can't find elsewhere simply because Airbnb is a one-of-a-kind company. A lot of the operational problems we're building and fixing haven't been navigated before. You have a chance to create new processes, projects, and impact in this industry.

3. Culture: This place is serious about its culture or "Core Values": do the right thing, advance the mission, don't backstab, don't throw people under the bus, and stand up for the underdog. To give you an idea of the kind of people we want: one of our people raised $20 million for immigrant kids separated from their parents on Facebook-- the largest fundraiser in Facebook's history.

4. Benefits + Compensation: They'll comp you properly, trust me. Airbnb gives a generous total compensation package with lots of stock, fully covered health care/dental/vision for you, $500 in Airbnb credits per quarter, free food (breakfast/lunch/dinner), and all the cool Silicon Valley perks.

5. Flexibility: Work from home, work remotely, take PTO-- just make sure your projects get done. A+++ on this.

Cons

1. Disorganization: Hyper growth mode has created some disorganization and issues with accountability. It can be difficult to get things done with random PTOs and a softer culture when it comes to communication.

2. Career advancement: Upward mobility/ career advancement expectations can be slow or unclear because of the disorganization. You have to advocate for yourself and develop a great relationship with your manager.

3. Liquidity: Airbnb isn't a public company so those looking to sell their stocks need to wait for a liquidity event or for the company to IPO. As much as stocks are great, they can't pay the bills so giving employees more opportunity to cash out is important for those of us who aren't billionaires. FYI leadership listened to this complaint and they recently gave us a new way to cash out some of our stock + comp which is a great start.

Advice to Management

1. Create and communicate clear paths for career growth and advancement. This is the best way to retain your highest performers who are hungry for more responsibility and impact.

2. Preserve the culture here. It's an amazing and unique strength of the company. You became successful with the current culture; protect it whether or not you decide to go public.

"Love working here!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love working here. The culture is amazing, the pay is great, and I couldn't ask for a better team. As a recruiter I get treated as a partner rather than a subordinate, which is empowering and helps me to get things done.

Cons

Things change quickly, and leadership isn't always transparent. That could be frustrating for some who want to be in the know and crave a steady work environment, but the company is still small and growing quickly so this certainly meets my own expectations.

Advice to Management

Please be more transparent, when possible. Senior leadership in my org in particular has shown a lack of attention/communication.

"Employee Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong culture, great people, great space and physical environment, global, entrepreneurial, creative, mission driven

Cons

Disorganized, complicated matrix, young and inexperienced leadership

Advice to Management

Invest more in experienced and mature leaders, brand health and minority staff.

"Non-technical role: lots to be desired"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fast-paced
    - Decent comp
    - Good food
    - Beautiful offices

Cons

- Decision-makers unclear and unaccountable
    - No clear advancement opportunities
    - #toomanytolist

Advice to Management

This used to be a fun place to work, but we are long past the time when decision-making and authority can rest with a disorganized group of folks at all levels. Tough decisions need to be made and carried out, rather than letting a clique of favored insiders continue to call the shots. Poisonous managers need to be purged, communication about priorities and org structure need to be more widely and more regularly shared, and people who are good collaborators need to be rewarded.

"Great Company. Culture at Risk."

Former Employee - Management in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Management in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, mission-driven, committed employees. Beautiful physical work environment. Amazing food. Interesting, challenging work.

Cons

Chaotic, undisciplined decision-making. Grueling pace. Too little emphasis on hiring and developing great leaders. The executive team lacks cohesiveness. Managers are not held accountable for poor leadership behaviors.

Advice to Management

Airbnb is able to attract exceptional 21st-century leaders but is not consistently hiring for those attributes. Too many managers drive their people, rather than inspire them. It only takes a few weak managers to demotivate large numbers of people.

"Good pay"

Current Employee - Business Development Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Above market pay compared to other tech firms

Cons

Lack of perks compare to peers

"Looks good outside but bad inside"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing mission & physical work environment.
    Amazing food.
    Amazing public image.

Cons

Poor decision making - either too many parties involved in making decision or everybody waits for everybody to make decision.
    Poor middle management and taking advantage by traveling extensively for "business purposes" by writing up sexy proposals but in actual fact, they travel for fun (so called team building/offsite/summit) and then follow by their personal travels. This applies to managers and even non managers in North America, EMEA & APAC.

Advice to Management

Enough of advices from other reviewers.
    Look at the awards: Best Places to Work: 2017 (#35), 2016 (#1), 2018 is nowhere to be found.

9. "Managing Director LATAM"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Company and tons of potential.

Cons

Due to the companies growth, sometimes there is no clear organization

"Awesome place to work as a Data Scientist"

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Data Scientists are valued partners and have a seat at the table when key decisions are made. PMs seek out my input to opportunity size projects, and when I have an idea that I want to drive, they listen. My eng leader is keen to invest in data in order to support my and my team's work.
    2) The team has a wealth of expertise in many fields of data science, ML, forecasting, Analytics, etc. Whenever I have a question, there is always someone on the team who is an expert that I can learn from.
    3) I really like our internal tools - both Airflow and Superset are two of my favorite new tools since joining Airbnb. Also our internal experimentation platform.
    4) I'm excited to work for a company that I think is genuinely making the world a better place by helping people connect and belong. I came to the US as a refugee, and Airbnb's stand for refugees made me proud to work here.
    5) Internal mobility on the data science team is strongly encouraged and supported. Once you've been in your role for a year or two, you can start looking at other roles if you're interested. So there are always more problems to solve!

Cons

1) Airbnb moves really fast - roadmaps change frequently and it's sometimes hard to keep up.
    2) While we're getting better at it, we still don't always think very long term.

Advice to Management

Really internalize "infinite horizon". Amazon spent a long time not making any money and building for the long term, while being a public company. We're a private company and should have even more flexibility to do just that.