Airbnb Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 19, 2020

3.9
Airbnb CEO & Co-Founder Brian Chesky
Brian Chesky

"Great Company. Culture at Risk."

Former Employee - Management in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart, mission-driven, committed employees. Beautiful physical work environment. Amazing food. Interesting, challenging work.

Cons

Chaotic, undisciplined decision-making. Grueling pace. Too little emphasis on hiring and developing great leaders. The executive team lacks cohesiveness. Managers are not held accountable for poor leadership behaviors.

Advice to Management

Airbnb is able to attract exceptional 21st-century leaders but is not consistently hiring for those attributes. Too many managers drive their people, rather than inspire them. It only takes a few weak managers to demotivate large numbers of people.

Airbnb2018-07-05

"Employee Review"

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strong culture, great people, great space and physical environment, global, entrepreneurial, creative, mission driven

Cons

Disorganized, complicated matrix, young and inexperienced leadership

Advice to Management

Invest more in experienced and mature leaders, brand health and minority staff.

Airbnb2018-07-11
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Looks good outside but bad inside"

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing mission & physical work environment. Amazing food. Amazing public image.

Cons

Poor decision making - either too many parties involved in making decision or everybody waits for everybody to make decision. Poor middle management and taking advantage by traveling extensively for "business purposes" by writing up sexy proposals but in actual fact, they travel for fun (so called team building/offsite/summit) and then follow by their personal travels. This applies to managers and even non managers in North America, EMEA & APAC.

Advice to Management

Enough of advices from other reviewers. Look at the awards: Best Places to Work: 2017 (#35), 2016 (#1), 2018 is nowhere to be found.

Airbnb2018-07-10

"Good pay"

Current Employee - Business Development Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than a year

Pros

Above market pay compared to other tech firms

Cons

Lack of perks compare to peers

Airbnb2018-06-16

"Awesome place to work as a Data Scientist"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) Data Scientists are valued partners and have a seat at the table when key decisions are made. PMs seek out my input to opportunity size projects, and when I have an idea that I want to drive, they listen. My eng leader is keen to invest in data in order to support my and my team's work. 2) The team has a wealth of expertise in many fields of data science, ML, forecasting, Analytics, etc. Whenever I have a question, there is always someone on the team who is an expert that I can learn from. 3) I really like our internal tools - both Airflow and Superset are two of my favorite new tools since joining Airbnb. Also our internal experimentation platform. 4) I'm excited to work for a company that I think is genuinely making the world a better place by helping people connect and belong. I came to the US as a refugee, and Airbnb's stand for refugees made me proud to work here. 5) Internal mobility on the data science team is strongly encouraged and supported. Once you've been in your role for a year or two, you can start looking at other roles if you're interested. So there are always more problems to solve!

Cons

1) Airbnb moves really fast - roadmaps change frequently and it's sometimes hard to keep up. 2) While we're getting better at it, we still don't always think very long term.

Advice to Management

Really internalize "infinite horizon". Amazon spent a long time not making any money and building for the long term, while being a public company. We're a private company and should have even more flexibility to do just that.

"Managing Director LATAM"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Airbnb full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Company and tons of potential.

Cons

Due to the companies growth, sometimes there is no clear organization

Airbnb2018-06-07

"Amazing culture, mission, colleagues"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company lives and breathes its culture, they hire people that are committed to teamwork and the mission. A lot of flexibility with work hours, leadership is very understanding of career growth requests, and they're open to input

Cons

Startup culture moves in a messy pace, there can be lack of coordination and accountability at certain levels due to the hyper growth

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

Airbnb2018-05-24

"Amazing culture and impactful work!"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time

Pros

I am very proud of the culture and impact of our data science team. We have one of the most diverse teams in industry, with more than 120 Data Scientists working on all aspects of the business. I could not be happier to come to work every day, and see the value that we are adding to the company, and to the data science community more broadly through open-source projects and participation at top conferences.

Cons

All the challenges expected from a fast-growing team and company.

"Recruiter"

Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb for more than a year

Pros

- There is a mature acceptance that recruiting can be seasonal, and I've never felt that one bad quarter would tank my career. Having worked at other tech companies I feel this is particularly special - People aren't possessive over leads and there is a culture of sharing - A great team, and amazing company culture - Support in career growth, in and out of recruiting

Cons

- Lack of transparency from leadership

Airbnb2018-05-09

"Great company and top-notch data science"

I have been working at Airbnb full-time

Pros

The data scientists at Airbnb are the best out there. Incredibly smart, from all over the world, and also good and kind people (the best combination). The work is high impact and there is a lot of momentum for evolving the work and function. The demand for data science is high and business partners are hungry for data science expertise. Data university is an incredible program to empower the company with data, and it's a reflection of how awesome the data scientists are that they drive and support this program. It's also neat that unlike at other companies data science experts are in every part of the business and yet keep in touch with each other and have forums to share work (like a weekly learning lunch). The company itself is fantastic as well. Founder led after 10 years and Brian and leadership have made some great hires recently, driving an inspiring vision for Airbnb. The company just makes good decisions. I have total faith that we will continue to improve and do amazing work.

Cons

Sometimes things don't move as fast as I'd like, but it's definitely improving and an area of focus

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on how to get work done and take the big ideas to concrete plans

Found 315 reviews