Airbnb Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

4.0
Airbnb CEO & Co-Founder Brian Chesky
Brian Chesky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great Management/Support for Work/Life Balance (in 18 reviews)

• Some great benefits, lyft for work,travel coupons etc (in 31 reviews)

Cons

1. "Program Manager, Employee Experience"

Current Employee - Program Manager, Employee Experience in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager, Employee Experience in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Inclusive and progressive environment. Plenty of opportunties to gain experience in difference areas.

Cons

Flexibility is needed as the environment is changing extremely fast.

Advice to Management

Nothing in particular to add on this subject.

"Great Engineering Culture, Great Talent, Tons of Potential"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- They're doing a great job at bringing in engineering talent to shore up their infrastructure. Over the last 6 months, they've brought in top talent from companies like Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Google. It really shows when you see what's planned for the next year.

- Some great tooling. The development environments leave something to be desired, but their core infrastructure (esp. some of the backend services) is really impressive. Tons of companies in SV are using many of the tools Airbnb has open sourced and this is only a fraction of what's been built.

- They're aware of technical debt. Current stack is very ruby heavy and monolithic and they're migrating to well-defined java/scala microservices which is great.
    - Very little red tape to actually deploying code.
    - The culture is a thing. If you're a "gilfoyle" you'll probably hate it here. Thankfully, they do a good job at bringing in people that actually want to be there and care about the product.
    - Food is amazing. Better than Facebook. Also great benefits and fantastic compensation if you're on the more experienced side.
    - Massive potential. The exec team is focusing on the right projects to get to a point where we can IPO. We're not quite there yet, but it's an exciting time to be here.
    - They actually care about their customers.
    - Brand new hardware
    - Epic office. This place is an interior design marvel.
    - Health insurance, etc. are excellent.
    - You can pick your team as an engineer! This leads to better chemistry and keeps all teams focused on making themselves appealing.

Cons

- Last year or so they promoted some people to management that really need more training. So on some teams, you're not going to have a great time.
    - If you're not an engineer, YMMV. I've heard the food team, facilities, etc. is largely being phased out for contractors.
    - Tiny 401k match. But this should probably change when they IPO.
    - You really have to carve out your own path here. If you want a clear progression this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Don't screw over food staff and CX just to bring costs down. These people are integral to the culture of the company and indirectly shape the community here and the product as a result.

"Mission driven...fulfilling work environment"

Current Employee - Employee Experience in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Employee Experience in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Founders are visible, accessible and engaged
    - Strong mission and culture
    - Still room to innovate and be creative
    - Lots of space learn and grow as the company grows

Cons

- Can be chaotic and crazy

Advice to Management

Get more operating leaders

"4-star place to work at"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Still experiencing good growth in terms of everything.
    Extremely liberal culture.
    Much faster getting things done comparing to some big corporations.
    IPO prospect looks good.

Cons

Growth not as great as a few years back.
    Bureaucracy is starting to build up.
    A- people hiring B people and B people hiring B- people.
    IPO is always "2 years down the road".

5. "Community-driven culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is an electric energy when you walk into any one of Airbnb's offices that immediately gives you a sense of how mission-driven and collaborative the employee community is.

Cons

The company is going through some growing pains, and priorities can shift often. All that said, I'd rather be in that environment than one that is 100% predictable and rigid.

Advice to Management

Focus on developing your people and internal mobility

6. "Airbnb is a Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mission driven leaders and people.
    Hosting permeates the buildings.
    Core values are strong and real.
    Learning opportunities are endless if you think about it as growth in experience, not just career progression.
    Good balance of creative and business savvy at the Leadership levels.
    Citizenship work / help with refugees in inspiring.

Cons

Leadership working on scaling / process to scale. It's struggling with startup culture and grown up company. But it's finding it's way.
    Pace of work can be exhilarating, but if you aren't resilient and clear about your boundaries, it can be hard on your work/life balance. But work/life balance is possible.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on scaling. A little bit of process and priorities discipline will prevent the bureaucracy we fear. Be careful not to adopt all the practices of other silicon valley companies. The results there in the team are not the ones we always want. There are other companies innovating internally we should look at closely.

"Really Good Company w/ Some Expected Growing Pains"

Former Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All being said this is a great company to work at. If you take a moment to look around silicon valley everyone is using Airbnb's open source tools. Also Airbnb has a great Data Brand, and is highly respected amongst its peers. If you are a data scientist this is a good career building move. I only left because I was offered an opportunity somewhere else that I could not refuse -- but that was probably afforded to me by the fact that I worked at Airbnb.

Working at Airbnb you have the opportunity to work on cool projects and with a diverse dataset. You can switch teams anytime you want, which means you will never get bored. You get to work with really smart people and build a network of who will be your friends for the rest of your career.

Cons

No company is perfect.

Compensation is a little low even with stock grants, but don't come here for the money come for the opportunity and personal growth! I don't really think you can go wrong here. Airbnb tries to adjust to market pay routinely so I think they genuinely want to get this correct.

You must own your own career growth at Airbnb. Management is still learning so you have to learn to deal with that, and help your managers manage you. This is expected in a growing company -- no company who is growing at this incredible rate is going to get this right overnight, so if you come here be prepared to have some patience and be resilient (and it will pay off).

Advice to Management

Keep seeking feedback and respond to surveys etc. I dont have any advice to give you I think you are trying your best already.

"It's Not What It Seems"

Former Contractor - Facilities Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Facilities Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good food! Nice work space.

Cons

They act like you're lucky to even be allowed to work there. They reminded me there's people knocking on their door to take my place. They cut my contract abruptly with a phone call while I was on the bus ride home! I didn't even get a farewell or thanks for the work. Once they got enough use out of me they tossed me out like I was a issued tissue.

They talk about building a community and being a good host, but that is all a sham.

Everything is extremely disorganized. I take work direction and then they change my direction within the same day.

Exhausting place to work. Everyone works at full speed everyday. There's way to sustain that pace constantly.

A great place to work if you want to work with entitled hipster transplants.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. You need them to do the job.

"Good company but a few growing pains"

Former Employee - Community Organizer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Community Organizer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great health benefits for employees, amazing support staff, creative opportunities outside of main job roles, emphasis on community involvement and service.

Cons

There is little visibility from management, company culture took a hit after large growth spurt. Growing campus makes it difficult to connect with other employees

"Whatta Ride"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The food team and the IT support team are some of the best and hardest working humans I've met.
    -I've worked with some really kind people here.
    -The cofounders mean well; they're driven and passionate (more on that below)
    -The perks are great (meals, amenities, environment, great insurance)

Cons

-Absolutely no upward mobility.
    -I genuinely like the cofounders, but they're much more focused on the 'brand' and how it looks to other people and having an inflated sense of what their impact is vs. what it feels like to work there and how they can lead and inspire their employees to do the work we need to do together.
    -Inexperienced managers who do their best, but don't know how to lead.
    -Internal tools needed for the job are an absolute mess and have been since my first day on the job. Eng support is more likely to go to passion projects instead of core product and the tools needed to maintain it.
    -Constant changes to the point where it becomes hard to do your job well. (This is well beyond the 'but we're a start-up, we gotta be scrappy, change is part of the ride, you have to roll with it' mentality)
    -People not being able to be honest with the cofounders about when they're off track.
    - Hiring an absurd amount of contractors and then continue to renew their contracts for 1+ years instead of hiring them full time.

Advice to Management

-Fix your internal tools.
    -Focus on the core product, or else another home sharing company will probably eclipse you on the quality of theirs sooner than you think.
    -Hire more experienced managers.
    -Create career paths for your employees so they have something to work towards.
    -Stop hiring a million contractors with no intention of bringing them on full-time, even though you need them.