Airbnb Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

4.1
Airbnb CEO & Co-Founder Brian Chesky
Brian Chesky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great Management/Support for Work/Life Balance (in 20 reviews)

• Some great benefits, lyft for work,travel coupons etc (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • But work/life balance is possible (in 50 reviews)

• Growing pains currently as the company scales at uncharted rates (in 29 reviews)

"Nearly 3 years later and still excited to go to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My team is like my family. The company is generous, mission driven, and works hard to make employees heard. Great location, motivated and sincere people. Each time I strike up a conversation with someone new, I feel like I've made a friend. I can be my self, quirks and all, and am embraced.

Cons

It's ambiguous. We're growing quickly and noticing where the cracks are. If you can keep a positive attitude and forge ahead, even if what you're working on shifts, you'll be fine here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the career development work. Promote more mini-office events to build camaraderie amongst new people. We all know we should take culture into our own hands, but sometimes people are shy - set the stage!

2. "Great Value-driven Workplace"

Current Contractor - Recruiting Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Recruiting Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

People really uphold a high bar for issues around diversity, identity, being humane, and inclusion.

Cons

Some business decisions feel uncertain - it is unclear how contractors are valued and utilized.

Advice to Management

Lead with as much communication as possible.

"Run away while you still can!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great food (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and amazing snacks)
    -A plethora of opportunities to travel the world
    - Impressive name on your resume

Cons

Promises are made again and again and there is no follow-up. You can't trust your manager, and to make it worse, you have an abundance of inexperienced managers that unfortunately are not given the tools they need to succeed.

Airbnb is bleeding money and talent, and it doesn't know how to fix it. The level of bureaucracy is unacceptable for a company its age and size. It behaves like a company of 100,000 employees, when it only has 3,000. The growing pains are being felt all over the company, and people are discouraged.

I wish I had a real perspective of what was happening on the inside before accepting my offer. The culture is (or was) amazing, but it won't be enough to make you happy amidst this mess.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and provide clarity and visibility! You've created an amazing brand externally, but the house in crumbling from within.

4. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - ITX in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - ITX in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome people, interesting and challenging problems!

Cons

Priority shuffle, projects are often competing for resources.

Advice to Management

Maintain priorities!

5. "Amazing culture, impactful work, cute dogs!"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb as an intern

Pros

The work environment and development cycle here is very fast-paced and agile. As an intern, you get to work on very impactful projects and are entrusted with pushing to production right away! There's tons of events (both intern and company) like workshops, tech talks, and social events throughout the summer, so it's easy to meet other Airbnb employees and learn/grow very quickly from a technical/personal standpoint. The company is also very mission-driven and places heavy emphasis on its core values. I would definitely recommend an Airbnb internship to anyone who's interested in helping to transform the travel industry!

Cons

During peak seasons (primarily before a big product launch and depending on the team), people tend to work late. Also, Airbnb is growing so fast, which comes with the problems of scaling the engineering side of things quickly and effectively.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to better scale the engineering side of things to prevent increasing tech debt

6. "Technical Writer"

Current Contractor - Technical Writer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Technical Writer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The company culture is amazing

Cons

Contract rather than full time

Advice to Management

Stay awesome

"Accounting"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb as a contractor

Pros

I have worked at this company for a contract position for a short time and they are great people to work with. Great foods and great benefits. I highly recommend working for this company to others

Cons

I have nothing to say about cons to Airbnb

8. "Program Manager, Employee Experience"

Current Employee - Program Manager, Employee Experience in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager, Employee Experience in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Inclusive and progressive environment. Plenty of opportunties to gain experience in difference areas.

Cons

Flexibility is needed as the environment is changing extremely fast.

Advice to Management

Nothing in particular to add on this subject.

"Great Engineering Culture, Great Talent, Tons of Potential"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- They're doing a great job at bringing in engineering talent to shore up their infrastructure. Over the last 6 months, they've brought in top talent from companies like Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Google. It really shows when you see what's planned for the next year.

- Some great tooling. The development environments leave something to be desired, but their core infrastructure (esp. some of the backend services) is really impressive. Tons of companies in SV are using many of the tools Airbnb has open sourced and this is only a fraction of what's been built.

- They're aware of technical debt. Current stack is very ruby heavy and monolithic and they're migrating to well-defined java/scala microservices which is great.
    - Very little red tape to actually deploying code.
    - The culture is a thing. If you're a "gilfoyle" you'll probably hate it here. Thankfully, they do a good job at bringing in people that actually want to be there and care about the product.
    - Food is amazing. Better than Facebook. Also great benefits and fantastic compensation if you're on the more experienced side.
    - Massive potential. The exec team is focusing on the right projects to get to a point where we can IPO. We're not quite there yet, but it's an exciting time to be here.
    - They actually care about their customers.
    - Brand new hardware
    - Epic office. This place is an interior design marvel.
    - Health insurance, etc. are excellent.
    - You can pick your team as an engineer! This leads to better chemistry and keeps all teams focused on making themselves appealing.

Cons

- Last year or so they promoted some people to management that really need more training. So on some teams, you're not going to have a great time.
    - If you're not an engineer, YMMV. I've heard the food team, facilities, etc. is largely being phased out for contractors.
    - Tiny 401k match. But this should probably change when they IPO.
    - You really have to carve out your own path here. If you want a clear progression this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Don't screw over food staff and CX just to bring costs down. These people are integral to the culture of the company and indirectly shape the community here and the product as a result.

"Airbnb is a Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mission driven leaders and people.
    Hosting permeates the buildings.
    Core values are strong and real.
    Learning opportunities are endless if you think about it as growth in experience, not just career progression.
    Good balance of creative and business savvy at the Leadership levels.
    Citizenship work / help with refugees in inspiring.

Cons

Leadership working on scaling / process to scale. It's struggling with startup culture and grown up company. But it's finding it's way.
    Pace of work can be exhilarating, but if you aren't resilient and clear about your boundaries, it can be hard on your work/life balance. But work/life balance is possible.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on scaling. A little bit of process and priorities discipline will prevent the bureaucracy we fear. Be careful not to adopt all the practices of other silicon valley companies. The results there in the team are not the ones we always want. There are other companies innovating internally we should look at closely.