Airbnb "great benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor

Airbnb Employee Reviews about "great benefits"

Updated Nov 5, 2019

3.8
Airbnb CEO Brian Chesky
Brian Chesky
Pros
  • "500 in Airbnb credits per quarter, free food (breakfast/lunch/dinner), and all the cool Silicon Valley perks(in 47 reviews)

• "great benefits and great working culture(in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • "Too many people being hired, which means that work life balance is great (i(in 64 reviews)

• "Some growing pains around organizational grown(in 35 reviews)

Reviews about "great benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Front of House Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, great people, lots of growth and change

Cons

Unorganized at times- poor direct management

Airbnb2019-11-05

"Great starting position... Not great advancement opportunity"

Current Employee - Community Organizer in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Perfect for those who like to travel and have a flexible schedule. Free food, great benefits, wonderful work culture. Plenty of chances to work cross functionally outside of the Public Policy department

Cons

Upward mobility is nearly impossible for this role. In 4 years, only 3 people have been promoted from this position into a more senior position.

Airbnb2019-08-03

"Working here over a year..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Compensation: pays more than any other tech company (Google, FB, etc) PLUS new cash bonus PLUS can choose to take your equity refreshers (no cliff) in cash. They also bump everyone to above midpoint of the range, which is really kind and close any gaps for pay equity. - Business is doing really well: we're profitable, have money to invest in employees + new ventures, never worried about money. Not even having a... round of funding for this far out is amazing. - Great benefits. Free airbnb credits (never expire), lots of PTO and time off, easy parking lot next to the building (they reimburse the price), free lyft credits, top notch food program, etc. - Management is honest about their pitfalls and is honest about fixing it. I appreciate this because they could sweep it under the rug. - We're heavily invested in our infrastructure as a 2019 focus. Even hired a CTO who has decades of infrastructure heavy lifting under his belt. Sweet! - People are really kind and helpful. Fairly rare. There are always going to be politics because people befriend eachother, but honestly you can set up a meeting with a director and they will help you resolve easily. As long as you speak out, people will listen.

Cons

Typical growing pains for our size, honestly. For a long time, Airbnb was flat and you could grow your career quickly since the company was small. Now they're trying to add ways to grow your career and make it defined and achievable since there's not low hanging fruit from a flat org, which is good. There's also increased attrition for people who have been here 5-7+ years, but honestly I think fresh people who are... excited and new have been better for my team personally. Many managers are also junior, but we've started to hire senior managers - my manager's manager has been doing a great job shaping and changing, which I appreciate.

Advice to Management

Get more senior managers rather than junior, it's been helping out. Check their participation rates and hapiness of their reports before hiring them though. Be more stringent on 1st time managers because it's dangerous. Can we have more conference rooms? :)

Airbnb2018-11-18

"Best place to work!"

Current Employee - Social Media in Portland, OR

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free, fresh, healthy meals and snacks the entire day. Dogs everywhere. Work from home allowed, but the office is so amazing that all the employees enjoy being there rather than home office. Great benefits. Great environment. Great opportunities and growth.

Cons

Compared to all the other companies, nothing at all.

Airbnb2019-04-13

"Great company, Customer Support role has changed over the years."

Former Employee - Premium Support Team Customer Experience Agent in Portland, OR

I worked at Airbnb full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-One of the best companies that I have ever worked for regarding their mission and desire to provide the best customer support while embracing ingenuity -You will work with some of the nicest people in the industry who are truly exceptional -Great benefits including free lunch and snacks, quarterly travel coupons -The CEO truly cares about what the company is doing and it's mission; he holds regular Q+As with... employees and makes a visible effort to connect.

Cons

-Pay is not that great, I started out at $18/hour and after 3 years at the company, I was only making $20.65 after being promoted - Little room for growth in role and lack of transparency with how employees receive raises. My lead could not or would not provide me with a direct answer or explanation as to why I was making significantly less than other employees at same SL. - Metrics can be unreasonable at times... due to the nature of the work. You are expected to close X cases a day and maintain a certain NPS, along with other metrics, although you are usually handling mishandled, escalated cases from external support teams that can take days to close. You never know what kind of call/ticket you will get, if it will be a case that takes days to resolve, or if it will be a simple account questions. You are also expected to answer questions with little resources for you and silo-ed departments, with the company motto being 'build the plane as it takes off'. -Along with having to be compliant with 'call controls' just trying to stay afloat making your 14 cases, you will get pinged throughout the day asking if you can take over other mis-escalated cases. Even if you are overwhelmed with casework and know you don't have the bandwith to take these on, you will quickly lose favor with upper management if you don't. -Casework can be very stressful, and while the company does it's best with trying to offset this with a fantastic food program and seminars, it emotionally drains you. CX work is more of a mediation role. -Within the 3 years that I was there, it increasingly became more like a call center, with more micromanaging of your time within the call controls, breaks, etc. Ultimately, this work environment along with poor compensation and lack of upward mobility left me no choice but to accept another offer at a different company, which was one of the hardest and most bittersweet decisions that I ever have made career wise.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with pay structures, realize that the nature of the casework is ambiguous and micromanage less. The company is growing exponentially but that doesn't mean that customer support has to turn in to just another call center.

Airbnb2019-01-10

"Great Place to Work But Company Culture Feels Like a Cult"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb full-time for more than a year

Pros

- great benefits and work life balance - good hiring bar - friendly co-workers - relatively little office politics

Cons

They love promoting their work culture and thinks it's absolutely amazing. It's great if you fall very much to the left of the political spectrum like the rest of the company (and SF). But if you happen to have a couple right-wing sympathies like me such as expressing your admiration for Ben Carson in a team lunch, you will be met with frowns and disdain. I overheard an argument where a co-worker said he opposed... universal income and everyone around him started to argue with him. I'm pretty sure if you said you liked Trump in any way, you'd be out of the building with all your possessions in a box. Also the co-founders are infallible and worshipped by everyone on the team. Their "Is Mankind" campaign was a terrible "Emperor's New Clothes"-esque flop but no one dared to correct them.

Advice to Management

Please include "free speech" as a company value

Airbnb2018-03-09

"Increasingly Corporate with wisps of startup culture"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at Airbnb full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great benefits -Wonderful Coworkers -Excellent office environment

Cons

-Few opportunities for meaningful advancement -Increasingly corporate despite company public image

Advice to Management

Embody the core values, don't just repeat them over and over.

Airbnb2018-01-17

"Great company-benefits/pay/perks-must agree with their liberal mindset, though, otherwise this is not the place for you"

Former Employee - Software in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb full-time

Pros

Great benefits, breakfast/lunch/dinner provided, culture, perks of being in SF (SF employees are paid more than other offices due to high housing costs)

Cons

A-typical millennial/startup/liberal culture. Good luck fitting in if you don't agree with their political, progressive opinions. Unattainable goals from upper management and the goals are constantly changing. The plan handed to you on Monday from the manager is then changed by Wednesday, but the results are still expected minus two days-be ready to work long hours

Advice to Management

Be open to other ideologies, opinions, etc. For a company that provides themselves on "diversity"- the diversity only exists on a race/color level-not based on personal beliefs

Airbnb2017-12-18

"Accounting"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb

Pros

I have worked at this company for a contract position for a short time and they are great people to work with. Great foods and great benefits. I highly recommend working for this company to others

Cons

I have nothing to say about cons to Airbnb

Airbnb2017-07-28

"Great Engineering Culture, Great Talent, Tons of Potential"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for less than a year

Pros

- They're doing a great job at bringing in engineering talent to shore up their infrastructure. Over the last 6 months, they've brought in top talent from companies like Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Google. It really shows when you see what's planned for the next year. - Some great tooling. The development environments leave something to be desired, but their core infrastructure (esp. some of the backend... services) is really impressive. Tons of companies in SV are using many of the tools Airbnb has open sourced and this is only a fraction of what's been built. - They're aware of technical debt. Current stack is very ruby heavy and monolithic and they're migrating to well-defined java/scala microservices which is great. - Very little red tape to actually deploying code. - The culture is a thing. If you're a "gilfoyle" you'll probably hate it here. Thankfully, they do a good job at bringing in people that actually want to be there and care about the product. - Food is amazing. Better than Facebook. Also great benefits and fantastic compensation if you're on the more experienced side. - Massive potential. The exec team is focusing on the right projects to get to a point where we can IPO. We're not quite there yet, but it's an exciting time to be here. - They actually care about their customers. - Brand new hardware - Epic office. This place is an interior design marvel. - Health insurance, etc. are excellent. - You can pick your team as an engineer! This leads to better chemistry and keeps all teams focused on making themselves appealing.

Cons

- Last year or so they promoted some people to management that really need more training. So on some teams, you're not going to have a great time. - If you're not an engineer, YMMV. I've heard the food team, facilities, etc. is largely being phased out for contractors. - Tiny 401k match. But this should probably change when they IPO. - You really have to carve out your own path here. If you want a clear... progression this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Don't screw over food staff and CX just to bring costs down. These people are integral to the culture of the company and indirectly shape the community here and the product as a result.

Airbnb2017-06-12