Airbnb Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Dec 16, 2020

4.1
Airbnb CEO & Co-Founder Brian Chesky
Brian Chesky
Pros
  • "great culture that helps you remain competitive(in 73 reviews)

• "Delicious and healthy free food(in 62 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great company and culture"

Former Contractor - Technical Sourcer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb for more than a year

Pros

Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner. Beer and Kombucha on tap. Great work-life balance and great people to work with!

Cons

It's hard to find parking nearby so must get there very early.

"Great culture but with weak leadership and some bad apples"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Company takes care of you. - Work life balance can be achieved without too much pressure. - Smart colleagues

Cons

- Leadership and middle management mostly unvetted with little experience. - Self-promotion leading to unideal outcomes for users and the company (eg., tech debt, not telling full view of results). - Cutting corners leads to long term costs and over-hiring of teams to maintain unmaintainable systems. - Poor feedback loop means managers and leaders are left not accountable.

Continue reading

"Amazing culture and work-life balance"

Former Employee - University Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb full-time for more than a year

Pros

Airbnb has the most amazing company culture. People are mission and values-driven, are incredibly intelligent and very collaborative. You're able to have work-life balance and contribute to broader company initiatives based on your interest.

Cons

Given the size and age of the company, it's still working on scaling itself and being streamlined internally.

"Great place"

2.0
    Current Employee - Legal Counsel in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Provides a good work life balance

Cons

Culture and morale is damaged

5. "Good Place to Have Work-life Balance"

Former Employee - Operations Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Take care of its employees, friendly team-working environment and great work-life balance and flexibility

Cons

There's a gap between junior level and senior positions--lack of promoted mid-level manager. Hard to climb the ladder inside the company.

"Messy."

Current Employee - Research in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for less than a year

Pros

All of the usual tech company perks, plus a quarterly travel credit.

Cons

*Young, inexperienced mid and senior level management, who leadership believes are "great." These young managers are catty, entitled, don't understand people who aren't 25, and don't have a baseline understanding of what they can and cannot legally say and do. *Lacking diversity when it comes to age + race or ethnicity *Top down leadership style *Work/life balance is lacking for many areas *If research doesn't say what design and PMs want, then it doesn't count. If you are a researcher, RUN, and run FAST.

Continue reading

"Overall a great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer() in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great people and culture - Flexible working hours and good work/life balance - Relatively diverse team - Leadership is very open to feedback from employees

Cons

- Technical debt is rampant - Product and Design decisions generally usurp technical ones

"Enriching work environment"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Commitment, dedication and innovation is incredible at Airbnb. Everyone works together to build a trusted community and sees any mistakes along the way as an opportunity to grow and learn. Such an enriching work environment!

Cons

Often decision makers are lacking and work/life balance can be challenging.

Continue reading

"Explosive growth with an excellent culture and mission!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than a year

Pros

Summary: I'm really happy here and it's the best job I've ever had. That said, details: 1. People: The people here are really smart, really nice, and really accommodating of healthy work/life balance which is CRAZY important for longevity and long-term happiness. The people are a pleasure to work with, they're helpful, knowledgeable, and REALLY passionate about the company. I have an amazing Manager who advocates for me and it's been such a great experience. 2. Projects: The projects here are those you can't find elsewhere simply because Airbnb is a one-of-a-kind company. A lot of the operational problems we're building and fixing haven't been navigated before. You have a chance to create new processes, projects, and impact in this industry. 3. Culture: This place is serious about its culture or "Core Values": do the right thing, advance the mission, don't backstab, don't throw people under the bus, and stand up for the underdog. To give you an idea of the kind of people we want: one of our people raised $20 million for immigrant kids separated from their parents on Facebook-- the largest fundraiser in Facebook's history. 4. Benefits + Compensation: They'll comp you properly, trust me. Airbnb gives a generous total compensation package with lots of stock, fully covered health care/dental/vision for you, $500 in Airbnb credits per quarter, free food (breakfast/lunch/dinner), and all the cool Silicon Valley perks. 5. Flexibility: Work from home, work remotely, take PTO-- just make sure your projects get done. A+++ on this.

Cons

1. Disorganization: Hyper growth mode has created some disorganization and issues with accountability. It can be difficult to get things done with random PTOs and a softer culture when it comes to communication. 2. Career advancement: Upward mobility/ career advancement expectations can be slow or unclear because of the disorganization. You have to advocate for yourself and develop a great relationship with your manager. 3. Liquidity: Airbnb isn't a public company so those looking to sell their stocks need to wait for a liquidity event or for the company to IPO. As much as stocks are great, they can't pay the bills so giving employees more opportunity to cash out is important for those of us who aren't billionaires. FYI leadership listened to this complaint and they recently gave us a new way to cash out some of our stock + comp which is a great start.

"Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture, benefits, Work life balance, wonderful people, and a mission that lines up well with my personal values.

Cons

Our CEO has amazing ideas and moves very quickly, however our technical infrastructure, and the rest of the company seems to move like dinosaurs

Viewing 1 - 10 of 82 English Reviews