Airgas Reviews | Glassdoor

Pascal Vinet

"North Division"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Airgas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Absolutely, positively, no doubt, NONE!

Cons

Starting from the north division president down to their district managers. These people lead by intimidation and I can promise you this is the "good old boys club". I feel terrible for what management calls "the help". They are called employees! They work each day wondering if they will feed their families that night. The majority of employees are scared. So scared that they are bullied into stabbing each other in the back. Shame on you management. You are a perfect example for what companies should NOT do in order to reach their fullest and greatest potential. Change is long overdue! Start with your regional president and work your way down.
    Potier.... WAKE UP! Take a look at your management because former CEO lost touch.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at your families before you walk out of your homes. Your an employee as well. An employee at will. Bottle line, treat "the help" like human beings.

"Restructure the Divisional Leadership Team in West"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Airgas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Airgas' regional leadership in the West was talented and capable of returning excellent results.

Cons

The divisional leadership structure in the West was largely absent. When a divisional leader chose to meddle in the regional affairs, more often than not there was no value added and more harm came of the interaction than good. Worse, the divisional HR team was combative and chose to "lead" by intimidation.

Advice to Management

Install a strong divisional president who lives and works in the area and replace the divisional HR team.

"Run!"

Current Employee - Sales in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Airgas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None, they've broken everyone's trust and morale with their greedy management and poor definition of success. It's unfortunate what has happened to this company.

Cons

So called "leadership" at its worst. Workplace bullying is a common theme, and it comes from the top down and spreads like a cancer amongst the employees. Ruthless and cruel doesn't begin to characterize the current "leadership". Clean house and bring in real leaders, not puppets and yes men.

Advice to Management

Employees understand this is a business and we're here to make money. But cutting staff to the bone in some areas while keeping favorites in other locations - at what point will you be satisfied with your overstuffed wallets and inflated egos? When safety risks become a factor? When the workmen's comp skyrockets? When unemployment costs go through the ceiling? Maybe after you've alienated every customer and every employee that has been loyal to you? Yes, business is about the numbers but it's also about treating your employees and your customers with respect and dignity.

"Leadership" is running this company into the ground, yet years from now - after they've destroyed their own cash cow, they'll still make excuses for their shoddy management. Countless incidents of abuse of authority. Shame on you!

"Cash Application"

Former Employee - Cash Applications Specialist in Independence, OH
    Former Employee - Cash Applications Specialist in Independence, OH

I worked at Airgas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are none for this department.

Cons

The Cash Application department is in a continual state of flux. Job descriptions/duties are constantly changing. Training is non-existent but you’re still expected to hit your “numbers”. If you’re not hitting your numbers you’re put on a performance improvement plan which basically is "pass or you're fired". Keep in mind, your job changes every time the wind blows. Unlike Disney World, this is the Unhappiest place on earth. If you apply to either the cash application or collection dept I feel sorry for you. I could go on but it’s just something you have experience to believe Work/Life balance is good in other departments but not this one. OT is mandatory and is called that day or with one day advanced warning.

Advice to Management

None. You are rockin' it!

"Overall poor Leadership"

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Airgas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, Benefits, Co workers

Cons

Management, Moral, Political, Territory, Dishonest

Advice to Management

Be leaders and keep your word

"Bulk Driver"

Current Employee - Driver in Spartanburg, SC
    Current Employee - Driver in Spartanburg, SC

I have been working at Airgas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As Air Liquide employee, we had good pay, good vacation package, and great & affordable insurance package.

Cons

Now that we have been taken over by Airgas, mind you, we bought their company, they didn't buy us.
    Pay is horrible. While Airgas employees are prospering nicely, Air Liquide employees are having to fight for every penny.
    Benefits are way over priced and coverage is way down.
    Air Gas never took the time to integrate the smaller companies they bought along the way and they entire company operates like a co-op or franchise. While everybody flies the same flag, rules and policies vary dramatically from location to location and from zone to zone. After 15 plus years with Air Liquide, I am appalled that they would allow such a disorganized operation take the lead on a company as large as AL.

Advice to Management

Fire your managers and hire some leaders. This is without a doubt a gathering of "yes" men. Each one to scared to tell senior management what they need to hear, but all to fast to paint a rosy picture of a sinking ship while stroking the ego of the captain that just ran it aground. Pay your employees what they are worth or at least pay them at a rate they were earning. Fire whoever is in charge of benefits and replace with a kindergartener, the child could do better. If you are unwilling to address pay and benefits, be prepared to get exactly what you pay for and Air Liquide should prepare to return to the Consent Decree days....that is if the FDA continues to allow them to operate at all.
    Ratings section asked about "values", I couldn't help but chuckle. Airgas has no values, their "culture of safety" is a culture of safety until no longer cost effective.

"TOTAL ACCESS SALES EXECUTIVE"

Former Employee - TOTAL ACCESS SALES in Levittown, PA
    Former Employee - TOTAL ACCESS SALES in Levittown, PA

I worked at Airgas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

steady although low pay for sales

Cons

management is completely disconnected from their employees, they have no idea what operations are happening daily; management harms more than helps, corporate downsizing, you are a # to them not a person and will be treated that way

Advice to Management

get a clue.... honestly, management makes no calls and no one there has any idea what they do on a daily basis if anything. Sales executives have to do all of the work while management looks for reasons to put down their employees. Sad.

"MOST HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE I EVER HAD."

Former Employee - Cash Applications Specialist in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Cash Applications Specialist in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Airgas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

compensation, benefits, location, co-workers, on site cafeteria.

Cons

The management in the cash application department stops short of pulling out a whip. Other reviewer hit the nail right on the head. Managers really do troll up and down the isles to make sure you're working. In the morning it's under the pretense of saying "good morning" when, really, it's just the first fly by of the day. And no exaggeration on the "no talking" issue either. Unless you're one of the chosen few, you better just keep your face to your screen and fingers on the keyboard. The majority of people in this department are miserable. At month end mandatory overtime is called. At least two hours during the week and Saturday if necessary. The OT is called without notice so if you have any plans for that evening(s) or Saturday, forget it! You no longer own the last week of every month. It belongs to Airgas. And when are most of the 3 day weekends? Yep, end of the month. I hated being treated like a pack mule there. The employees are just ground down with the unrealistic work load. And management implements one ill though idea after another on how to run the department which just generates more chaos and re-work.

Advice to Management

None. It wouldn't make a difference anyway.

"Inside Sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Airgas full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Optimistic with positive attitude sharp with strong personality characteristics to have consistency with customers repetition

Cons

Work with temper to discipline to sharpen for the next opportunity rather to dwell on, a solution with a change of plans

"Branch Administrative Assoc"

Former Employee - Branch Administrative Associate in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Branch Administrative Associate in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Airgas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I feel that for my 20+ years of experience I was adequately compensated in my wages. But an incentive plan, bonus, or reward for outstanding performance would have been nice.
    The folks I worked with were, for the most part, great! Too bad they are just as disgruntled as I am.

Cons

Facility was built in the early 1980's and looks like it. Not even enough electrical outlets for the computers,printers, etc.
    Safety is stressed constantly but mgmt keeps staff spread so thin that everyone is always rushed & stressed.
    Lack of communication between branches & business center - you don't know a procedure has changed or a new action is required until you've been doing it wrong for 3 months because information doesn't reach the people who need it.
    Mgmt has favorites that get away with doing a poor job, while some take on responsibility but get no notice from mgmt.
    Mgmt doesn't want to hear it when you have an idea to make things better.
    A manager will screw you out of $5 to get themselves a nickel more in their bonus. I've heard that from people way up the chain.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Open your eyes & ears instead of going through your workday with blinders on until you can retire. Make the changes that need to be made.