Airgas Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

"Overall poor Leadership"

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Airgas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, Benefits, Co workers

Cons

Management, Moral, Political, Territory, Dishonest

Advice to Management

Be leaders and keep your word

"Total Access"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whittier, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whittier, CA

I worked at Airgas full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Benefits
    Nice Bonus if met goals

Cons

Micro managed
    Not much freedom to grow

"Bulk Driver"

Current Employee - Driver in Spartanburg, SC
    Current Employee - Driver in Spartanburg, SC

I have been working at Airgas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As Air Liquide employee, we had good pay, good vacation package, and great & affordable insurance package.

Cons

Now that we have been taken over by Airgas, mind you, we bought their company, they didn't buy us.
    Pay is horrible. While Airgas employees are prospering nicely, Air Liquide employees are having to fight for every penny.
    Benefits are way over priced and coverage is way down.
    Air Gas never took the time to integrate the smaller companies they bought along the way and they entire company operates like a co-op or franchise. While everybody flies the same flag, rules and policies vary dramatically from location to location and from zone to zone. After 15 plus years with Air Liquide, I am appalled that they would allow such a disorganized operation take the lead on a company as large as AL.

Advice to Management

Fire your managers and hire some leaders. This is without a doubt a gathering of "yes" men. Each one to scared to tell senior management what they need to hear, but all to fast to paint a rosy picture of a sinking ship while stroking the ego of the captain that just ran it aground. Pay your employees what they are worth or at least pay them at a rate they were earning. Fire whoever is in charge of benefits and replace with a kindergartener, the child could do better. If you are unwilling to address pay and benefits, be prepared to get exactly what you pay for and Air Liquide should prepare to return to the Consent Decree days....that is if the FDA continues to allow them to operate at all.
    Ratings section asked about "values", I couldn't help but chuckle. Airgas has no values, their "culture of safety" is a culture of safety until no longer cost effective.

"Administrative/ Shipping Dept."

Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Long Island City, NY

I worked at Airgas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with great people and some a very dedicated to their job. Learned new skills in reference to shipping, logistic management, and the refrigerant business. 401K and insurance benefits are good.

Cons

No room for career advancement; a lot of the employees at the company have been working there for over 15 years at the same position. Unless someone retires or leaves, there is not much advancing in any department. There is also a lack of communication between employees and upper management. When there is a huge issue, upper management seems to just tell employees they need "get it done." There is no explanation of why and how to resolve the task.

"TOTAL ACCESS SALES EXECUTIVE"

Former Employee - TOTAL ACCESS SALES in Levittown, PA
    Former Employee - TOTAL ACCESS SALES in Levittown, PA

I worked at Airgas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

steady although low pay for sales

Cons

management is completely disconnected from their employees, they have no idea what operations are happening daily; management harms more than helps, corporate downsizing, you are a # to them not a person and will be treated that way

Advice to Management

get a clue.... honestly, management makes no calls and no one there has any idea what they do on a daily basis if anything. Sales executives have to do all of the work while management looks for reasons to put down their employees. Sad.

"MOST HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE I EVER HAD."

Former Employee - Cash Applications Specialist in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Cash Applications Specialist in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Airgas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

compensation, benefits, location, co-workers, on site cafeteria.

Cons

The management in the cash application department stops short of pulling out a whip. Other reviewer hit the nail right on the head. Managers really do troll up and down the isles to make sure you're working. In the morning it's under the pretense of saying "good morning" when, really, it's just the first fly by of the day. And no exaggeration on the "no talking" issue either. Unless you're one of the chosen few, you better just keep your face to your screen and fingers on the keyboard. The majority of people in this department are miserable. At month end mandatory overtime is called. At least two hours during the week and Saturday if necessary. The OT is called without notice so if you have any plans for that evening(s) or Saturday, forget it! You no longer own the last week of every month. It belongs to Airgas. And when are most of the 3 day weekends? Yep, end of the month. I hated being treated like a pack mule there. The employees are just ground down with the unrealistic work load. And management implements one ill though idea after another on how to run the department which just generates more chaos and re-work.

Advice to Management

None. It wouldn't make a difference anyway.

"When year hear "What's the catch" or "Too good to be true".... listen and run! (Should've listened to the reviees)"

Former Employee - Cash Applications in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Cash Applications in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Airgas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SAP training, extremely nice and supportive department (managers not included in this statement), close to 480 and tons of restaurants, on site work out facility

Cons

Well, get ready for high school! God forbid you talk to anyone about anything. If laughter is heard, you can bet to hear from one of the 400 managers in this department if we need something to do because we laughed at a joke. Managers walking up and down isles to make sure everyone is working, going as far as sneaking up behind you to make sure you're working. Clique after Clique after clique. Not part of that Clique? You're treated like garbage. Grow up people!
    Everything in this company is quota based! Yet they dump so much work on you and expect the goal hit no matter what. Explain to me if the days are small and we have other work to do how the hell is anyone going to meet goal? Expectations are WAY too high and the pay does not make up for this ridiculous amount of work. We have several new people and they are expected to be as fast and good as people that have been there for years! Wake up! Then an error is made but they don't recognize that because of their "quota" it's setting people up to fail! Management leads by fear not by support or motivation.

Advice to Management

You have to remember, Co workers spend more time together than with the their families. If you continue to treat your employees as insignificant and assume were not getting our stuff done because we laughed and joke "OCCASIONALLY", then people will be miserable, unhappy, feel as if they are in hostile work environment and your turn over rate will never end! Cut us some slack. We're burned out, we're ttired... we need to motivate other but we're not allowed to talk to each other so how's that going to work?!!

"Inside Sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Airgas full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Optimistic with positive attitude sharp with strong personality characteristics to have consistency with customers repetition

Cons

Work with temper to discipline to sharpen for the next opportunity rather to dwell on, a solution with a change of plans

"Branch Administrative Assoc"

Former Employee - Branch Administrative Associate in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Branch Administrative Associate in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Airgas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I feel that for my 20+ years of experience I was adequately compensated in my wages. But an incentive plan, bonus, or reward for outstanding performance would have been nice.
    The folks I worked with were, for the most part, great! Too bad they are just as disgruntled as I am.

Cons

Facility was built in the early 1980's and looks like it. Not even enough electrical outlets for the computers,printers, etc.
    Safety is stressed constantly but mgmt keeps staff spread so thin that everyone is always rushed & stressed.
    Lack of communication between branches & business center - you don't know a procedure has changed or a new action is required until you've been doing it wrong for 3 months because information doesn't reach the people who need it.
    Mgmt has favorites that get away with doing a poor job, while some take on responsibility but get no notice from mgmt.
    Mgmt doesn't want to hear it when you have an idea to make things better.
    A manager will screw you out of $5 to get themselves a nickel more in their bonus. I've heard that from people way up the chain.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Open your eyes & ears instead of going through your workday with blinders on until you can retire. Make the changes that need to be made.

11. "Working with Airgas has taught me the seriousness of alertness and awareness of what goes on within a refinery."

Current Employee - Safety Technician in Deer Park, TX
    Current Employee - Safety Technician in Deer Park, TX

I have been working at Airgas part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Per diem, travel, and money. Also, the experience and challenges of just being able to go to different plants.

Cons

Part time and no consistency. There would be times when I'm waiting for work long periods of time.