Airline Transport Professionals Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Director of Aircraft Maintenance in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Director of Aircraft Maintenance in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at Airline Transport Professionals (More than a year)

Pros

Higher ups are down to earth and treat everyone with respect on the maintenance side. They do not cut corners on aircraft maintenance.

Cons

Some management on the flight side are micromanagers and are unprofessional One manager on the flight side cause unnecessary stress to instructors and students

Advice to Management

Increase pay

"Indentured servitude"

Former Employee - Instructor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Instructor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Airline Transport Professionals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get students. That is about it.

Cons

Any "advantage" ATP offers to its flight instructors is a scam. "You get to make your own schedule." Yes. Yes, you do. However, your schedule will be booked 7 days a week. You make your own schedule not out of your own convenience, but rather because ATP doesn't want to hire people to schedule flights. There for you schedule you own students in your own time, off the clock. Translation, you use your free time to make a schedule (which is a major pain in the butt and you are not paid). But wait there's more. "ATP's pay tier lets you earn more." No. No it doesn't. ATP's pay tier for its flight instructors starts at $7.50 an hour and caps at $20.00 an hour. It is almost impossible to reach the 20 dollar pay tier. As such you are always stuck in the lower pay tiers (ranging from 7.50 to 15 dollars an hour). Currently, I make 35 an hour no matter what at my current( non-ATP) flight instruction job. ATP also sets unrealistic standards. For example, when I was a flight instructor for ATP they disallowed touch and goes when teaching a student pilot how to land. There is 10 hours of time allotted to teach a student how to land. Per one hour of flight I can do almost 20 touch and goes with a student. However, and since ATP no longer allows touch and goes, I can do about 8-10 full stop landings. This would not be a problem, but ATP has not increased the amount of time I have to teach a student how to land. Effectively, what ATP has done is cut in half the amount of time I have to teach someone how to land an airplane. This is simply not possible. Either increase the 10 hours to 20 hours to facilitate full stop landings, or allow touch and goes. I became fed up with the inner contradictions, low pay, and general lack of real world knowledge and such is why I left ATP. And I couldn't be happier. Rent is also a scam. You don't save any money by staying in an ATP apartment. Go find your own.

Advice to Management

ATP doesn't live in its own special bubble. Teach real world knowledge. Don't teach to a checkride. Increase the standard for flight instructors; instructors should be able to fly any maneuver, anytime, anywhere. Students know when they are being bullshitted, so raising the ability and knowledge of instructors benefits everyone. Let instructors rent ATP airplanes.

3. "A Scam of a School"

Current Employee - Flight Instructor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Flight Instructor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Airline Transport Professionals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Airplanes are in amazing condition. ATP hires the finest mechanics who are skilled, personable, and professional. New planes with awesome A&Ps make for an amazing experience. The endorsements online are awesome; we don't have to worry about fulfilling FAA requirements, because the required endorsements are already online for instructors. The final Pro is Tim from flight ops (and Mike. And Andrea).

Cons

ATP doesn't care about their employees. At all. They break the law by calling their employees contractors so that they can pay us less than minimum wage. We have mandatory meetings, business cards, uniforms, hours set by our employer, special training; I hope you get audited.

They make their flight instructors work incredible hours, with no pay or respect. You can expect to be constantly berated by your manager (In some locations. Marty is FL, is blunt, but amazing. Same with the manager at KIWA).

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. Listen to their complaints instead of instantly dismiss them. Note: you claim you care, but if anyone disagrees, they're treated like dirt, then they mysteriously leave the company. Listen to your head of Safety, Justin Kaiser. We know he's a great, knowledgable guy, and we feel like he's the small part of management that actually cares for us employees.

4. "This is the top of the top for a general aviation maintenance career (Daytona Beach)."

Current Employee - Aviation Maintenance Technician in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Aviation Maintenance Technician in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at Airline Transport Professionals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Above average pay for the location. Excellent benefits (health, 401k, vision, dental and free life insurance) are all VERY affordable. PLENTY of vacation time (roughly 2hrs pto earned per week). They put the profit back into the company. Unexpected raises, holiday bonuses, extra paid holidays, top notch shop equipment, etc. Work environment is very clean and organized. There is plenty of opportunity to lead and to learn. THERE IS NO CUTTING CORNERS or the pressure to do so. If a technician deems something unsafe, it is fixed. The company does not second guess decisions to purchase expensive parts. They want a SAFE fleet and they want it flying as much as possible. So, that's exactly what they have.

Cons

Nothing major comes to mind. ATP is a surprisingly LARGE company with a very short chain of command. This is good in many ways, but can be unnerving in others. On one hand, there is ZERO micromanagement and BIG decisions happen very quickly. On the other, if someone screws up in one maintenance location, a blanket policy is usually put in place company wide. This can be frustrating and feel a little disrespectful, but is necessary for.such a lean company to ensure that everyone is on the same page. Upper management offers little to no praise for a job well done and relies on local management to keep the gears turning. So, no news is usually good news. However, if your location starts slipping and your manager doesn't catch it, upper management can and will put the fear of God into you. Take that how you want. I don't mind it, but some can't handle it.

Advice to Management

Finding a way to open a line of communication between all maintenance managers would serve this company well. Standardizing our maintenance efforts would as well.

5. "A New Student buys a new plane"

Pros

Being at a airport seeing planes

Cons

Disorganized company from top to bottom, anyone can start if they have the money, people not doing what they can do, lots of favoritism, poor benefits, too much Drama

Advice to Management

Take time to talk to the employees

6. "Flight Instructor"

I have been working at Airline Transport Professionals full-time

Pros

ATP is a great flight school

Cons

I do not have any Cons for working at ATP

7. "Flight Attendant"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in New York, NY

I have been working at Airline Transport Professionals full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worth to work at. High standard and highly professional

Cons

It is not always tumb up. The best thing to do is to minimize down side and try always to shoot for the moon.

Advice to Management

Keep head up. The best is to come.

"Not bad for hours"

I worked at Airline Transport Professionals full-time

Pros

Easy to build hours
    Cool co workers

Cons

Management see's you as dollar signs
    They don't care about the students at all

9. "ATP Instructor"

Former Employee - Pilot/Flight Instructor
    Former Employee - Pilot/Flight Instructor

I worked at Airline Transport Professionals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of multi-engine time (about half single engine and half multi as an instructor). If you want to ignore life and rack up flight hours as quickly as possible this is the place for you. Instructing becomes your life.

Cons

Overall CFI is a hard job with low pay and a lot of responsibility but can be very rewarding. Improve CFI training. CFI school covers what is required but does not teach you how to teach.

Advice to Management

CFI training is minimal during the ATP program which potentially results in CFIs who have marginal instructional skills.

"Don't do it"

I worked at Airline Transport Professionals full-time

Pros

The concept of the program looks good on paper. 90-day program for student pilots to obtain all needed licenses. Great opportunity for flight instructors to get the necessary 1500 hours into their logbooks.

Cons

What you will experience is a program that is run in an unprofessional way, with instructors getting almost no pay and most having no real interest in teaching. Its a kettle farm and you are treated accordingly. Do not miss the clause in your contract that the school can terminate your enrollment without further justification, at any point.

Advice to Management

Build a quality program that is run in a professional way and with human decency.