Airship Reviews | Glassdoor

Airship Reviews

Updated Sep 30, 2019

Found 47 reviews

3.9
Airship CEO Brett Caine (no image)
Brett Caine
Pros
  • "Catered lunch on Fridays, fun parties and company events, arcades, ping pong room, fooseball, unlimited PTO, tons of snacks available, etc(in 6 reviews)

• "Fun & supportive environment, great people to work with (all departments)(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Doubt the company will ever go public due to the staggering amount of debt to investors(in 3 reviews)

• "San Francisco office doesn't have a gym or massage therapists like it states on website, that is only at the headquarters in Portland(in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great culture and you will learn very valuable skills"

Current Employee - Engineering in Portland, OR

I have been working at Airship full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company is steady and growing. Lots of support from management. Engineers get lots of opportunities to learn and grow their skills. Every job requires manipulation of massive amounts of data. People are very caring and willing to help. Strong leadership. Great work-life balance.

Cons

A startup that is still figuring out how to get to the next level so you'll need to be good with change. Benefits could be better. Open office plan is distracting.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue developing a very strong staff. The work-life balance is great and we would love to keep it that way :D

Airship2019-02-11

"Great place to work, colleagues turn into family."

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airship full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Airship is not a place where you spend two years and move on. The innovation, longevity of the products, caliber of the people who each Airshipper stands shoulder to shoulder with, it makes Airship a career on its own. + Career paths always available + Product does what its meant to do + People work smart + Support throughout all the hierarchy + Management listens + The hard work one applies is visible with... the companies growth - you can make an impact immediately + Fun + Diverse + Rewarding My personal experience has elevated my career for not only my skillset, but broaden my horizons.

Cons

Sales roles - It takes 6 months for a non-marketing professional to understand the industry, which is not exclusive to Airship. If you're not willing to learn and work hard, you might struggle, but there are many mechanisms of support. Times can be intense, if you're looking for something easy, take this into consideration. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

Advice to Management

Always do better, keep doing what you are doing - times are good.

Airship2019-04-18
  3. "10 year-old Company with the Immaturity of a Startup"

Current Employee - Client Facing in Portland, OR

I have been working at Airship full-time for more than a year

Pros

Resides in a cutting edge industry Perceived as a leader in the space... for now Star-studded client list Desire to be a good place to work Good Senior Leadership in the Sales Org

Cons

Culture is non-inclusive, extremely "cliquey" and ridden with many bad apples Product is extremely immature for being 10 years-old and could be passed soon Significant lack of business direction Poor Senior and Mid-level leadership Extremely poor Product Engineering Organization and no published product roadmap Incapable of self-reflection and significant delusions of perfection

Advice to Management

Clean house of any employee who has been with the organization for longer than 5 years. Develop a better sense of direction with clear goals and an actual product roadmap. Hire employees with actual experience in an enterprise setting.

Airship2019-09-30

"Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Airship full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Urban Airship goes above and beyond to provide an environment where employees can effectively contribute to the company's success while building valuable career capital. The large number of employees that have left and subsequently come back attest to this viewpoint.

Cons

Passing Dunbar's number. Watching the company awkwardly respond to the standard set of in-vogue grievances.

Advice to Management

Be u b tru

Airship2019-03-29

"Not worth it."

Former Employee - Customer Service in Portland, OR

I worked at Airship full-time for more than a year

Pros

Casual work environment. Fun people. Snacks and lunch once a week.

Cons

Seems like a fun place to work but lots of Corporate politics. HR is a joke and needs leadership. Doubt the company will ever go public due to the staggering amount of debt to investors.

Advice to Management

Remember that we once wanted to do something great and don't forget the people who wanted to be a part of it. Boy politics behind the scenes are ruining UA.

Airship2019-02-17

"Proceed With Caution"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Airship full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the people that work there are incredibly passionate and hardworking. They serve as role models to others and it was a true joy to work with them. These people have your back and do whatever they can to make the products/company better. There's a lot of flexibility to work from home, which is nice. Catered lunches on Wednesdays were good. Benefits were pretty standard for a tech company.

Cons

I would argue that there are far more bad managers/leaders than there are good. By good managers, I mean folks who actually care about you, give you honest feedback about what you're doing well and how you can improve, are clear about the expectations for your role, and help you grow within the company. Most of the managers at Urban Airship are not actually interested in managing their teams. They refuse to... accept any feedback that is not good feedback, which is problematic when you consider that they say they're open to any and all feedback. Some managers do not discipline folks who are not performing well and will move them up through the ranks for reasons unknown. I can't speak to all teams, but the team I worked on in particular had an issue with fair distribution of work. On this team, you'd have one or two people doing more work than the rest of the team combined, and yet somehow they would be ranked at a similar level to other employees on the team come review time. Customer Success is almost entirely excluded from hack weeks, even though there are people on that side of the organization who are interested in coding or would like to contribute to a project. Speaking of that, there is a huge divide between Customer Success and Engineering in general. There's almost no communication between these two departments and oftentimes some of the folks on the engineering side treated others in a condescending manner. There's also an incredible amount of product bloat and bug fixes are almost always shoved off to the side. Upper management is only interested in making money, which hey, I guess that's what a lot of businesses are about. However, there are plenty of other great start ups in the Portland area that work towards growth without treating their employees like they're replaceable and even invest back into the community.

Advice to Management

Please stop tolerating bad attitudes and be open to feedback. Managers, actually manage your team and do both the pleasant and unpleasant parts of your job. Focus on fixing bugs and improving the core features of each product before expanding into new terrain. Value the people who actually work hard and care about their jobs and their teammates.

Airship2019-01-25

"Sinking Airship"

I worked at Airship

Pros

Many talented people who care and want to do good work and support each other.

Cons

Aimless strategy, many in leadership positions who shouldn’t be. Most employees still there seem to be in the process of trying to leave.

Advice to Management

Do better at your next company.

Airship2019-02-12

"Okay on the surface but undercurrent of bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Airship full-time

Pros

Summary of my entire review: Working at UA is best for either white males and/or people who want to build up really solid skills and then use that to move on to a company with a more equitable culture. Keep this in mind when reading that I've said I would not recommend this job to others...my answer actually changes depending on the team/manager you're assigned. Specifics: -you work alongside smart, driven... people -catered lunches -stable company -flexible time off and work from home opportunities -despite getting bigger, there are still lots of opportunities to make contributions -you'll build an incredible amount of marketable skills

Cons

******You won't learn about the items listed below without earning the trust of people across teams. If you are interviewing here for jobs in the Engineering and Customer Success departments, the only idea I can think of is for you to see if you can meet someone from the team confidentially for coffee. That way they can give you feedback and can speak honestly without fear of retaliation.****** -There no way to... give anonymous feedback safely. They use Peakon survey's for feedback but teams are so small that your manager could easily identify you based on recent conversations you had with them or recognizing your writing style should you provide comments. There have been instances of silencing those who speak out about why they are leaving even when those people were *not* slandering the company. Leadership/HR just cannot handle anything that might be construed as negative being heard by others. -Managers desperately need training (of all types). There are more bad managers than good ones and they keep getting promoted (see above about no safe feedback). I've brought up a few examples of bad behavior once to HR and they seemed totally surprised despite common knowledge of one particular bad actor. Another person who had a track record of being really bad with communication got promoted to the head of a department that affects all areas of the company. Now that team is so bad that everyone sends private direct messages to the only person on the team who is friendly/helpful and not a total jerk. Again---everyone knows exactly what this department is and who I'm talking about but I've been here long enough to recognize when nothing will change. -Implicit bias training needs to happen regularly. One manager told multiple direct reports that UA had "solved the race and gender issues" and it will be no surprise that this was a white male who has had a track record of saying things that easily cross the line. When the company was about to go through a hiring surge, there was a one-off implicit bias training scheduled and this manager didn't show up because he "...already went to one of those last year". Note that this one example can be extended to many other managers with the exception of 2-3 people (across the org). A recently-retired person of leadership even made uncomfortable comments about the appearance of a female coworker having such a "beautiful picture" that was being displayed that "she could be a model" and this during the annual company kick off meeting...

Advice to Management

-Feedback should not go directly to managers. Give that to the person they report to who can then filter responses in such a way as to keep that feedback anonymous. -Find a way for people to give feedback to the heads of the departments and not just their own managers. Same rules as above that this needs to go to someone who can distill that info to keep it more anonymous. -Managers need regular, mandatory... trainings on how to communicate, good management techniques, and implicit bias. NO ONE SHOULD BE PROMOTED TO MANAGER WHO HASN'T BEEN EXTENSIVELY TRAINED. -The focus from the top is predictable: make money and keep the work environment "okay enough to keep people working". They won't put in an ounce of effort unless you can prove it will save money or increase revenue.

Airship2019-01-07

"Anonymous"

I have been working at Airship full-time for less than a year

Pros

Collaborative culture, friendly employees, there are some good talents within the company.

Cons

Lack of Strategy, lack understanding of root cause of issues before coming up with resolution. It’s a white boy’s club. Most decisions are made behind curtains with CEO back channeling to achieve personal goals. Lost 2 female executives we respect greatly within a week.

Advice to Management

Align action with words. Invest in employees in the right manner. Have a meaningful growth strategy.

Airship2019-01-26

"Sales Development Rep"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airship full-time

Pros

The management in sales is the best I've ever experienced. They are encouraging in your sales goals, but I think the most notable is that they are constantly ensuring you feel you can be successful in your role. I have yet to feel like I am not prepared to hit/exceed my metrics. Sales can be an overwhelming task, but the management does a good job at giving obtainable goals; long and short term. Not to mention,... the sales team has a lot of fun and brings great energy to the office and company as a whole. The company culture is really transparent. We speak to the other offices(world-wide) almost everyday to ensure good communication. I can honestly say I know what work is being done throughout the entire company. I have confidence that my superiors are leading the team down the correct path.

Cons

-Parking in San Francisco can be hard, so taking public transportation is a must. -Financial district is expensive, bringing lunch is also a must(except for the days lunch is catered)

Airship2018-10-30