Akamai Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 19, 2017

US - All Cities

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance can suffer at times (in 37 reviews)

• Middle management is lacking experience (in 19 reviews)

"Good benefits, toothless management"

Current Employee - Principal in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Principal in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent location (immediate walking distance food options are okay), good benefits.

Cons

Management can make some poor hiring choices, but do not take action if things are not working out. The problem is that poor work for a long period of time brings the team morale down. It's past due to cut your losses if your employee can't learn their (entry level) position after 1-2 years.

Advice to Management

Utilize a contracting company to screen employees and evaluate for 6 months, rather than directly hiring. We have plenty of FT employees that had to interview for 4-6 months (interns). A contracting company can at least provide a layer of safety if things don't work out. Its much harder (and costly) to get rid of a FT employee than a contractor.

2. "Intern"

Current Employee - Systems Software Engineer in College Station, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Software Engineer in College Station, TX

I have been working at Akamai (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing team, nice working environment

Cons

Less communication from HR regarding hiring decision.

"Business Systems Analyst"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours and a great culture.

Cons

Rewards aren't upto Industry standards for a long term employee.

"Solid company, but bureacratic"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A very relevant company with a clear vision for its own future. Certain areas of the company lead the world in what they do. If you're interested in networking or security, there is no other place to be.

Cons

Communication across the organization is difficult, different parts of the company jockey and compete with each other. Parts of the company not directly related to the core business (CDN, security) sometimes have second-rate people. Not always, but sometimes. If you're interviewing, judge your interviewers as much as they're judging you.

Advice to Management

Seek out places where work is being duplicated and bring those groups together to cooperate instead of compete.

"Great company, mgmt needs work"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Akamai full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is great especially in Southern California. Development teams are a good place to learn and solve big problems.

Cons

Dated technologies makes it seem like they're way behind. Management needs better training. Agile is not a thing. Some projects seem to go on forever. Accrued vacation. Letting good employees go.

Advice to Management

More training. Less top-down style. Bring back accrued vacation.

"Great Company to work for but with room for significant improvements"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at Akamai for 3 years. Its a great company to work for with lots of perks and good amount of benefits. The work life balance is great and the culture is very welcoming. Many exciting opportunities to work with cutting edge technologies and make a difference.

Cons

Promotions are hard to come by at Akamai. Managers are not very experienced and a lot of hiring is based on who you know. Although the message is that title's don't matter, they still do.

Advice to Management

Hiring and Promotions at Manager's level needs to be reviewed thoroughly and not taken lightly

"Low Compensation - Hard to move up"

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Akamai full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Setting own schedule. Working from home

Cons

Hard to move up. No incentive. Management doesn't know what the hell is going on most of the time. Low pay.

"Great company and product, poor management"

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely smart people, engineers, product marketing and executive leadership. Akamai continues to evolve and offer valuable solutions for their customers, most notably their security offerings.

Cons

Management (upper and middle) has a disconnected communication model and middle management simply reacts to upper management. This creates an on-going frenzy from management as opposed to leadership and bigger picture thinking.

Advice to Management

Don't simply react to demands from upper management. Work with your team(s) to create realistic goals and understand business patterns.

"Politics, politics, politics"

Current Employee - Senior SQA Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior SQA Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits and compensation. Lots of smart talented people to work with. If you can cope with chaos and survive in an environment where every little piece of domain knowledge is something that you will have to dig out of the cold, hard frozen ground, you can be happy here. It is possible to learn a lot of new skills, depending on your situation.

I personally feel that I have grown by leaps and bounds in terms of my software automation knowledge even though my projects are constantly cancelled at the whims of capricious management decisions from people who never even talk to me personally or even look at the work I have done. Despite this, I feel confident in calling myself a Selenium expert after just 14 months of working here and I started with no Selenium experience whatsoever. I also have grown in my Java skills by leaps and bounds. I have gained valuable, solid OO development experience as an automation developer that I have not been able to get anywhere else.

Cons

The company relies too much on antiquated tools and technologies and WAAAAAY too much on homegrown tools when there are more modern, better designed, often open-source options out there. There is no consistent tool chain in place for basic things like: bug tracking, source code management, build management, project management, test case management and release management.

The SQA process here is nothing like the industry standard best practices that you would find in another company of this size. In fact, I don't think that management really even understands what SQA is or should be. Requirements development and documentation is a joke. Requirements are often not clearly documented anywhere nor is there any standard process for formulating them and communicating them to development teams and testing teams. Trying to find out how to do basic things is a nightmare. Lots of people will tell you, 'It's on the wiki.' The 'wiki' is a rat's nest of outdated, half-written broken pages where there is occasionally a nugget of useful information, but you will be forced to take a long and frustrating journey through nuggets of incorrect information before you find it.

Don't get me started on the test environment systems. Okay, do get me started. Test environments are a mess. People are forced to share a few systems where there is incomplete oversight regarding what is or is not actually installed on them. It is not unusual for people to step all over each others' toes trying to test out something because of the lack of communication between various parties using the systems. The architectural limitations that are baked into the products makes the challenge of spinning up a cleanly separated test system for anyone who needs one impossible and there seems to be no impetus to fix it even though countless hours of productivity go down the drain because we don't have this ability.

There is a consensus that there is something 'broken' about the SDLC process and the tool chain, but effecting change for the better seems almost impossible because it doesn't appear that anyone with any authority to make change happen even understands what the problem is or how to hire people who can figure it out. People who try run into a wall of politics that would make the Great Wall of China look like a pile of paper mache after a monsoon.

This company operates as if each separate team were a start-up company where people are just free to do whatever they want. There is a culture that is openly and actively hostile to the idea of submitting to standards and practices they didn't pick themselves. To be fair, it is not uncommon that someone trying to impose a 'standard' is trying to make people do something stupid and ineffective because they don't have the technical understanding that is necessary to pick a good one. So, even though we need some standards rather than our current cowboy wild west way of doing things, there is a history here that justifies hostility and suspicion regarding anyone who tries to impose one. With the eagerness of a small child on Christmas Eve, I await the day that the right set of people with the right personalities and skills are able to surmount this situation.

Advice to Management

You really need to make building a consistent SDLC process based on industry standard best practices and designing a productive, modern tool chain C-suite priorities. The CTO should be all over the problem of enforcing a consistent standard tool chain and process for all the stages of software development and release. And the SQA situation needs a czar level authority who understands exactly what SQA is and how to build it because, at the moment, it is a hot mess and no one seems to understand why SQA is important and how to make it good here.

"average"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, unlimited time off, long vacations, weekly tech talks, good salary and benefits

Cons

dated technology, not the most exciting projects