Aker Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Aker Solutions CEO Luis Araujo
Luis Araujo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work subject to the vagaries of the oil and gas industry (in 11 reviews)

• A lot of upper management changes (in 9 reviews)

"Good but watch out if they try to hire you as a contractor, it's a warning they might not keep you"

Current Employee - Would Rather Not Say in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Would Rather Not Say in Houston, TX

Pros

Pay is excellent to start with, very competitive. Recruiters and most people at the company are friendly, everyone works flex hours

Cons

The company spent over 1 month interviewing and aggressively recruiting me because of my qualifications. Turns out I was overqualified for the position. Stayed 2 months before being laid off due to lack of work even though I was told how busy they were at the time I was hired. No complaints from anyone about my job performance since I was never trained for the job - they had me opening mail and filing the entire time instead of what I was hired for. Waste of 2 months for a job I can't even list on my resume. Pay raises for office staff are barely 3% and that's if you're lucky.

Advice to Management

Get some managers with spines, most that I saw were controlled by their senior staff. Need better communication with staff. Stop having so many meetings! Never sure exactly what they are trying to tell employees during these meetings, they seem to be a way to waste time.

"Grass Is Not Greener Here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Money was Good. That's about it.
    If you are in dire need of money and can put up with a lot of "STUFF", then come on and get some of this!!
    If you are already in the oilfield, Please read the "CONS" very carefully.

Cons

Very Low Morale.
    Doom and Gloom Atmosphere.
    Management downright pathetic. Has no business being in the position.
    Favoritism. Big Time!!
    No Promotions, no acknowledgement of good performance.
    Perform Mission Impossible on Products.
    Does not practice what they preach.
    Mgmt gets very defensive when you try to ask questions. No open door policy for everyone. Only a select few.

Advice to Management

Unfixable. They are in it for the title and that's it!
    Position filler at best. Only got that way thru the buddy system.

"The Aker Illusion"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am sure there are some very well meaning people in management that think the posters about Core Values are working.

Cons

There are so many things that could be said, but I will keep it short. Senior-level management not only allows, but creates forged records. The posters regarding “Core Values” are merely colorful pictures on the wall. There is such thing as Whistle Blowers hotline, but I would have to have a modicum of trust for the people running the program.

Advice to Management

Quit turning blind eyes to what you know is happening.

"Sinking Ship. HR, Business, Legal departments have had mass exodus."

Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Half day Fridays are a positive.

Cons

Constant changes without any direction. Meager bonuses - recently less than 1% of salary. No company culture. Extremely weak management team. No motivation to work towards common goal. Weak President of North America who doesn't interact with employees or develop a culture of collaboration and excellence. Many groups have had entire teams leave. Legal group has had 3 out of 4 members leave in last 3 months due to poor leadership from General Counsel. HR team has had multiple people leave and support to organization is poor from entire group because of lack of resources. Business development team has had key/best people leave to join competitors. If this isn't a sign of a sinking ship then I don't know what is. Go work for a company that actually values employees.

Advice to Management

Hire executive team that has significant experience and leadership skills. Promoting from within to save money will only work for so long. Cultivate strong leaders in the organization instead of cutting budgets for training. Value your employees and they will work hard for you. Embody the core values instead of just posting them on the walls. These are simple concepts but executive team does not grasp them or does not have the aptitude to lead.

"Company in decline."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good experience in subsea equipment, especially trees and controls. Many people that work there go on to very lucrative careers at other companies. They had great flex time packages and insurance when I worked there.

Cons

Very high turnover, inexperienced staff, and much lower quality since buyout of Kvaerner by Aker. Safety issues were rising steadily while I was there.

Advice to Management

Management just needs to be changed, it is an engineering company that should be run by engineers like it used to be. Currently much of the senior staff including the president is made up of former sales people who have no idea how to run a company.

"QUality Engineer, II"

Former Employee - Project Quality Engineer, II in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Quality Engineer, II in Houston, TX

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flex Friday, get out of there half-day on Friday

Cons

Too many to name, starting with the company culture of running to HR on everything, constant sensitivity training, that was laughed at behind the backs of HR and management that were concerned with their bonuses, rather than a cohesive team or department. This company is a joke.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the all, they are blood-sucking leaches.

"Don't do it! Get out while you can!"

Former Employee - Strategic Advisor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Strategic Advisor in Houston, TX

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good compensation and benefits
    - International development program

Cons

- Zero company strategy or organizational sense so moving around the company is adhoc rather than actual career paths/progression
    - Too focused on success in Norway
    - No real job security
    - Fairly incompetent leaders that act essentially as figureheads/puppets for Norway

Advice to Management

- care for your people and develop processes that make sense
    - don't work in siloed, Norwegian business

"Certain departments are horrible"

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work schedule allows you to work nine (9) hours Monday through Thursday and only four (4) hours on Friday. This was pretty much the only good thing about being at Aker Solutions.

Cons

Very stressful environment
    No teamwork
    Lower pay for industry
    No support from management
    Project based
    No training opportunities
    Favoritism
    Too far away
    Dangerous Area

"Company with No Direction"

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people work there for management that could care less about their service. Multiple locations around Houston. Plenty of cubicles to work at because they have laid off everyone.

Cons

This is a foreign company that cares nothing for U.S. employees. Upper management has no direction, no leadership. They actually made the decision not to be ASI certified despite the requirement for all equipment installed in the Gulf of Mexico to be ASI certified. This company is not the worst company I have ever worked for but they definitely treat you like a number and discard you when the numbers don't add up.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility for your lack of leadership and stop blaming everything on everyone below your level. It's a shame that most of you came up through the ranks with the rest of us and then closed your doors after you got to your offices.

"Most unfair employer to work for"

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time

Pros

Good products and potential for getting market share in the gulf

Cons

Engineering company with no respect for technical personel or engineers.
    Only good for project engineer and project managers.
    Only way to make progress in your career here is to apply for postings, on which the requirements are set keeping in mind already favored candidate.
    People in management with no MBA, Masters or desired years of experience. Only there cause they are favored.
    Keep away from this company.
    HR is worst.
    Chief Executive officer wants to make the company lean but keeps adding fake layers of management.

Advice to Management

Value your technical people and be fair to your own values and career model that you have posted on energy.