Akin Gump Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Akin Gump Managing Partner Kim Koopersmith
Kim Koopersmith

Pros
  • Work-life balance is possible if you work hard (in 6 reviews)

• Great work environment and people that work hard and play hard (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits are not comparable to other law firms in the area (in 11 reviews)

• People are stressed, they tend to mistreat each other and the work-life balance is terrible (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Place"

Former Employee - Childcare Provider in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Childcare Provider in Washington, DC

I worked at Akin Gump part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved working here, great management

Cons

Working in DC. Stressful driving to work everyday

"Legal Secretary"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Akin Gump full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Welcoming. the two stars are more for my interaction with my supervisor. Great person. Great co-workers from office services to other secretarial staff. Really liked working with the associates in the department. Partners not so much, particularly one more than the other.

Cons

Very low PTO when you start in comparison to other firms. Health benefits offered are not good. You do not have a choice of say an HMO plan or PPO. It is automatically and HSA where they give you $750.00 in an HSA account to help you reach the deductible, which is high. For single it is $2,000, for a family, it is $6,000. The employee contribution is low per pay because you end up paying more out of pocket. Even after reaching your deductible if you stay in-network you are only covered 90%, you are responsible for the other 10%. If you go out of network you are covered only 70% making your share 30%. So you can imagine if your doctor sends you for an MRI which usually can run you $1500-$2000 after having met your deductible, you are responsible for the other 10% which can run you from $150.00 to $200.00. On IT support, they can do better on the training. There is a three-four day training (two full days) but it basically just covers how to work the employee portal and templates. No training on their New Client/Matter, Conflicts software, no training on billing procedures or who the respective billing coordinator is until the day you have to submit the bill because it's the deadline. On a more personal experience, I Can't really speak about other departments but Partners in the particular department I worked at are not patient with someone learning the new environment and procedures. They expect you to know everything within your new role because of the number of years of experience. You're supposed to know all procedures, pet peeves, and anticipate their needs within a two-month frame. No tolerance for minor errors. EVER. Your two eyes are supposed to be equipped with a proofreading software to pick-up every single mistake or missed item because humans should not make mistakes. Speaking of robotic features, nothing wrong with multi-tasking, it's what secretaries are used to doing. Except in this environment when you are assisting 6,7 even 8 attorneys plus expect to help any visiting attorney that is located on your floor, distractions should not be a reason to making a minor error or missing something. $22.50 cents seems to be a big deal missing from an expense report even though you can just submit it separately. Omitting inadvertently that amount for reimbursement in an expense report seems to "mess with someone's pocket." Not very supportive or caring for that matter with unexpected personal family issues requiring you to be a day or day and one-half out of the office such as illness or death in the family. Extended family such as an aunt or uncle is not considered someone important to qualify for one day of bereavement to attend the funeral. Has to be taken from personal/vacation time. I did not have a positive experience in this position. Confident enough to say not because of me, but more because of the impatience, selfish and unsupportive nature of an attorney whose focus was more on copying and trying to emulate the senior partner, then just making his own mark. My wish is for one day any one of these attorneys, particularly partners would sit at a secretaries desk who assist 7, 8, 9 people for a week and see if they can handle it. I can assure you by the half-day of the first day they would be pulling their hairs out.

Advice to Management

Throughout my years of working at law firms, advice to management falls on deaf ears. Working at law firms these days is not what it used to be. Especially big law. Everything is self-centered to the particular attorney, especially a billing partner and there is no real "partnership" and their attitude even management trickles all the way down to how the elitists (attorneys) are treated differently than the less (support staff). I have often asked myself why? If any management from any firm can answer that, I would love to know.

3. "Counsel"

Current Employee - Counsel in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Counsel in Washington, DC

I have been working at Akin Gump full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Talented and motivated professionals with strong commitment to client service.

Cons

Opaque management structure; uneven prospects for career advancement even for the most talented attorneys.

Advice to Management

360 evaluations would enable firm management to better spot partners, associates and counsel best able to develop new clients and manage client work. Advancement for associates and counsel should not depend exclusively on practice leadership. Lack of system for recognizing non-partner origination acts as disincentive to many.

4. "Lousy management"

Former Employee - Conflicts Attorney Washington in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Conflicts Attorney Washington in Washington, DC

I worked at Akin Gump (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary, good benefits, nice office

Cons

No support from GC management

Advice to Management

Support your team

5. "IT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Akin Gump full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Akin Gump provides a collegial place to work. There is good work/life balance. Management is very amenable when there are things outside of work.

Cons

Upward mobility is limited. They did not offer a transportation benefit that would have been nice considering the commute of most employees.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to build/include mentoring for the staff side of the firm.

6. "Paralegal"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Akin Gump full-time

Pros

I had the pleasure of working in two practice areas at Akin. Very much a team atmosphere - everyone is working toward a common goal. Wonderful working environment.

Cons

The hours can be absolutely brutal, but this is law firm life. This is not a family friendly job.

7. "Great"

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Akin Gump full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting work, commitment to pro bono and public interest causes, competitive compensation, great people.

Cons

Long hours on nights and weekends.

8. "Legal Secretary"

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY

I have been working at Akin Gump full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Young and energetic staff.

Cons

Firm is going through some changes but is still a comfortable environment.

Advice to Management

When implementing changes please keep in mind the culture of the firm.

9. "Paralegal"

Current Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY

I have been working at Akin Gump (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive enviroment. If you are law school bound, you can make great connections and receive strong letters of recommendation if you put in the hard work and time.

Cons

Very little training offered. You have to learn everything on your own.

Advice to Management

Provide more paralegal training.

"Benefits are Great! No work life balance."

Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Akin Gump (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Awesome environment to work in if you're a law student or fresh out of law school.

Cons

Staff employees are not treated equally. Management in the HR and IT department could be a lot more knowledgeable and professional.

Advice to Management

Improve HR and IT's management and the firm will thrive much better than it has been.