Akin Gump Reviews | Glassdoor

Akin Gump Managing Partner Kim Koopersmith
Kim Koopersmith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Benefits are not comparable to other law firms in the area (in 11 reviews)

• Some difficult characters, unexpected long hours (in 10 reviews)

1. "Partner"

Current Employee - Partner in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Partner in Washington, DC

I have been working at Akin Gump full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great firm, excellent pay, terrific culture

Cons

Must be a self-starter; big firm environment can be challenging

2. "Part-time Position"

I worked at Akin Gump part-time

Pros

Very good camaraderie and co-workers. Good company with great benefits.

Cons

Pay could be a little better

3. "nice"

I worked at Akin Gump part-time

Pros

good benefits, nice people in general, ambitious and smart

Cons

long hours, an ugly office space and the office is too big for there to be a real culture

4. "Marketing Technology Assistant"

Former Employee - Marketing Technology Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Marketing Technology Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Akin Gump full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable, decent pay, good structure

Cons

Not great culture, lame atmosphere

5. "Paralegal"

I have been working at Akin Gump full-time

Pros

Opportunity to work on large, nuanced cases

Lawyers willing to discuss particulars of specific cases if approached with reasonable questions

Helpful co-workers willing to help onboard new paralegals

Cons

Corporate culture somewhat lacking at the paralegal, non-attorney level

Lawyers feel very divided from para's unless very busy working together on a case

Advice to Management

Streamline the work assignment process so employees at all levels know their responsibilities clearly

6. "Paralegal"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Akin Gump full-time

Pros

Good experience as an entry level paralegal

Cons

Some difficult characters, unexpected long hours

"traditional law firm"

I have been working at Akin Gump full-time

Pros

big salary; opportunities for advancement; ability to work part-time or on a customized schedule; friendly atmosphere; great support staff

Cons

huge time commitment; very demanding workload; harsh personalities and male-dominated industry

"Nice place to work"

Current Employee - IT Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Akin Gump full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers and a general good vibe

Cons

Benefits are too expensive

Advice to Management

Invest in a better Medical/Dental plan with lower deductible and less-out-of-pocket costs for your staff. It makes a difference.

"Legal Secretary"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Akin Gump full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Welcoming. the two stars are more for my interaction with my supervisor. Great person. Great co-workers from office services to other secretarial staff. Really liked working with the associates in the department. Partners not so much, particularly one more than the other.

Cons

Very low PTO when you start in comparison to other firms. Health benefits offered are not good. You do not have a choice of say an HMO plan or PPO. It is automatically and HSA where they give you $750.00 in an HSA account to help you reach the deductible, which is high. For single it is $2,000, for a family, it is $6,000. The employee contribution is low per pay because you end up paying more out of pocket. Even after reaching your deductible if you stay in-network you are only covered 90%, you are responsible for the other 10%. If you go out of network you are covered only 70% making your share 30%. So you can imagine if your doctor sends you for an MRI which usually can run you $1500-$2000 after having met your deductible, you are responsible for the other 10% which can run you from $150.00 to $200.00. On IT support, they can do better on the training. There is a three-four day training (two full days) but it basically just covers how to work the employee portal and templates. No training on their New Client/Matter, Conflicts software, no training on billing procedures or who the respective billing coordinator is until the day you have to submit the bill because it's the deadline. On a more personal experience, I Can't really speak about other departments but Partners in the particular department I worked at are not patient with someone learning the new environment and procedures. They expect you to know everything within your new role because of the number of years of experience. You're supposed to know all procedures, pet peeves, and anticipate their needs within a two-month frame. No tolerance for minor errors. EVER. Your two eyes are supposed to be equipped with a proofreading software to pick-up every single mistake or missed item because humans should not make mistakes. Speaking of robotic features, nothing wrong with multi-tasking, it's what secretaries are used to doing. Except in this environment when you are assisting 6,7 even 8 attorneys plus expect to help any visiting attorney that is located on your floor, distractions should not be a reason to making a minor error or missing something. $22.50 cents seems to be a big deal missing from an expense report even though you can just submit it separately. Omitting inadvertently that amount for reimbursement in an expense report seems to "mess with someone's pocket." Not very supportive or caring for that matter with unexpected personal family issues requiring you to be a day or day and one-half out of the office such as illness or death in the family. Extended family such as an aunt or uncle is not considered someone important to qualify for one day of bereavement to attend the funeral. Has to be taken from personal/vacation time. I did not have a positive experience in this position. Confident enough to say not because of me, but more because of the impatience, selfish and unsupportive nature of an attorney whose focus was more on copying and trying to emulate the senior partner, then just making his own mark. My wish is for one day any one of these attorneys, particularly partners would sit at a secretaries desk who assist 7, 8, 9 people for a week and see if they can handle it. I can assure you by the half-day of the first day they would be pulling their hairs out.

Advice to Management

Throughout my years of working at law firms, advice to management falls on deaf ears. Working at law firms these days is not what it used to be. Especially big law. Everything is self-centered to the particular attorney, especially a billing partner and there is no real "partnership" and their attitude even management trickles all the way down to how the elitists (attorneys) are treated differently than the less (support staff). I have often asked myself why? If any management from any firm can answer that, I would love to know.

10. "OK Company"

I have been working at Akin Gump full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and opportunity for slow but steady advancement.

Cons

Partners seem to have a general lack of respect for the staff members. Pay is generally pretty low. Long hours and frequent weekend work.