Akron General Health System Registered Nurse Reviews | Glassdoor

Brian Harte
0 Rating
  1. "Wonderful Co-workers"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Akron, OH

I have been working at Akron General Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Love my co-workers. supportive learning environment

Cons

Union contract under re-negotiation with cleveland clinic. benefits and rules in flux

Akron General Health System2017-04-20
  2. "RN Case Manager"

Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Akron, OH

Pros

Insurance, mileage, tuition reimbursement, raises.

Cons

Overload. Do more with the same amount of time. New ongoing responsibilities piled on almost weekly These seem to be management strategies.

Advice to Management

Keep advocating for your field nurses. Hire more to lessen patient to nurse ratio.

Akron General Health System2018-01-23

"RN"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Akron, OH

I worked at Akron General Health System full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pay is good. Benefits are great. 401k managed well.

Cons

Completely a bullying environment. Don't be a whistle-blower or they will quickly make sure you leave. Union is useless except for collecting high dues from your paycheck.

Advice to Management

Stop favoring. Favorite employees get away with murder. People who report serious problems are punished or shunned by management even if you're an exceptional employee. Policies only apply to some. They don't promote within.

Akron General Health System2017-07-05

"RN at Akron General Medical Center"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Akron, OH

Pros

12 hours days and every other weekend to be fair to everyone

Cons

short staffed and nurses who have been there a long time use their power

Advice to Management

better management of employee's who abuse their power of working there a long time

Akron General Health System2017-06-07

"RN- psych"

Former Employee - RN Case Manager in East Cleveland, OH

I worked at Akron General Health System part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A team approach to nursing, everyone willing to help each other with difficult patients. Other than that, the pro is.... You made it through your shift alive and not beaten up!! You were told to keep the patients out of seclusion despite their dangerous behavior!! We had criminals mixed in with depressed people mixed in with someone's grandma!! What a great set up!!!

Cons

If you take this job and get beat up by a patient.... The hospital will tell you "When you took this job you should have known you had the chance to get hurt". While working here, they began accepting criminals who should have gone to jail, but showed up on our front step instead. One day, a prisoner arrived and beat his nurse until she was unrecognizable! The hospital hid behind their corporate lawyers! This poor nurse has PTSD and can't return because of how severely she was assaulted. The hospital knew how dangerous this floor was, but refused to put security on the floor because of how the "psychiatric patients would feel" Nurses were constantly begging for a security guard to sit up on the floor for protection!!! Taking this job would be a big mistake!! Go work with a population that is less dangerous because you will not be given compensation for any injury .....so it is not worth it!!! Let someone else get their livelihood taken away!!

Akron General Health System2016-05-01
  6. "Hospice Center"

Registered Nurse

I have been working at Akron General Health System

Pros

Everyone is very kind and genuinely concerned about each other. The nurses and aides all provide excellent care to patients. Management is fair and very receptive to any problems or complaints the employee may have.

Cons

long hours, sometimes do not get enough hours (but that is because I am just prn status)

Akron General Health System2015-08-20
  7. "Smallest hospital in Ohio, but able to provide the greatest care"

Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Lodi, OH

I worked at Akron General Health System part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly staff and co-workers; awesome therapy dept, very neat and tidy facility; Able to provide primary nursing care with ease. Nurse to patient ratio 1:4 (dayshift). It was a very nice place to work! I never really had a bad day when working there.

Cons

There is only one nursing floor and smaller ER. I wanted "more experience" and decided to leave....now I am kicking myself.

Advice to Management

Director of Nursing ran a tight ship which is why nurses provided good care and why patients were happy with care.

Akron General Health System2015-08-08
  8. "Loved Working Here"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Akron, OH

I worked at Akron General Health System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I can't say enough good things about working at AGMC. I have always regretted leaving. I worked my way through school while there and they were good about working around my schedule so I did not lose hours. Great boss, good department.

Cons

I had a tough time moving up until I went to school to be an RN and then I ended up in a job that required the RN but quite honestly should have been done by a business person.

Advice to Management

Think broader. Sometimes having a medical degree doesn't get you through moving the hospital forward.

Akron General Health System2015-05-19
  9. "Going downhill"

Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Akron, OH

I have been working at Akron General Health System full-time

Pros

Super nice, caring and compassionate staff. Everyone from nurses to therapists are knowledgeable and excellent clinicians.

Cons

Not valued as an employee. Too much management turnover. New management comes in several times per year and wants to change to "their" way of doing things. They never consult the staff. Have unreasonable expectations and do not listen to suggestions by staff.

Akron General Health System2014-07-10