Al's Beef Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 4, 2017

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dave Howey

1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Cashier in Tinley Park, IL

I have been working at Al's Beef full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The owner is understanding, compassionate, and genuine. The work is not too hard so long as you're honestly trying. They pay well if you work hard. Tips. Great coworkers. All around a great place to work.

Cons

The manager is not good with people. He tends to micromanage and give you busy work if he's in a bad mood that day. Customers can be awful at times.

Advice to Management

Recognize hard work and avoid playing favorites.

2. "Love my job"

Current Employee - Cashier in Tinley Park, IL

I have been working at Al's Beef part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working here is inviting and fun. Not like any other job you could get. The owner truly cares about his employees.

Cons

Get ready to do a lot more work outside of cashiering. You clean the restaurant a lot and they are not paying you to sit around.

Advice to Management

Try to stay as positive as possible in hard times. Don't bring your drama to work.

3. "Awesome Place"

Former Employee - Owner's Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Owner's Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Al's Beef full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This place gave me opportunity to grow and do much more than being a cashier which is what my starting position was.

Cons

A little demanding to be honest

4. "I was disrespected, paid a dismal wage and my intellect was insulted on a daily basis: don't work here!"

Former Employee - Server in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Server in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Half-off meal at the end of your shift.

Cons

Management is disrespectful and ignorant; pay is low.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better!

5. "Mediocre Position"

Former Employee - Cashier in Park Ridge, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Park Ridge, IL

Pros

Easy job, little pressure to perform. The managers appeared friendly at first. Colleagues were cool to work with, no paper work.

Cons

Too much micro management, crappy fast food job, lots of heat in front of the grill, late weekend shifts, poor salary

Advice to Management

The old managers sold the place, which was probably for the best, so it's hard to say. Maybe the place has improved.

6. "Cook, Cashier, Prep, Dishwasher"

Pros

The experience really builds your character and allows u to gain experience in other areas

Cons

I really like the experience. It really depends on the co workers around you

7. "Cashier"

I worked at Al's Beef part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good atmosphere. I had a few really good team members working with me most of the time. My boss was understanding as well.

Cons

Customers treat you like any other fast food restaurant employee. We went through about forty different employees we were training to be line cooks just in a matter of about six months.

Advice to Management

Make the hiring process more based on prior experience and more in depth to avoid the constant rotation of employees that are unreliable or unable to do the tasks assigned.

8. "look elsewhere, nothing good here!"

I worked at Al's Beef part-time

Pros

half off food.....thats pretty much it!

Cons

favoritism, NO HOURS AT ALL, low wages, toiling work, no advancements of any kind

Advice to Management

learn your area! not that hard! go back to econ 101

9. "Horrible company at franchise level."

Pros

I'm sure that most of the stores serve good food and the owners are hardworking business people. However the corporate franchise company sucks.just look at how many franchises have closed, how many they say are opening, and how many never open. I'm sure it's fine to work in the individual stores for a good franchise owner.

Cons

the corporate franchise company is absolutely horrible. No support to franchisees and no communication when problems are identified. Dave Howey, the president, is inept. Just call the individual stores and see how much they like the franchise company.

Advice to Management

think long and hard before you ever consider opening An Al's Beef franchise. They make you buy all new equipment, make you buy equipment not suited for your market, in other words you'll end up with twice as much money invested and is really needed.then they sit back and watch you fail. Don't answer emails, don't return phone calls, don't provide financial analysis as requested and as agreed, etc.