Alabama Metal Industries Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Frank Heard
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Ask lots of questions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Alabama Metal Industries Corporation full-time

Pros

The money is great! Lots of room for improvment.

Cons

Management is dishonest. This place is old and they dont give any time for preventive maintenance so the the equipment is always down.

Advice to Management

You need to hire people. You cant run a plant on a skeleton crew for very long.

2. "Needs work but improving, so come join us!"

I have been working at Alabama Metal Industries Corporation full-time

Pros

The people here are unlike anywhere else I have worked. Yes, there are issues but honestly every company has them. I do not mind coming to work each day because there is a culture building here that is becoming fun and exciting. AMICO is in a change mode and you will get your hands dirty for sure. If you come in with a drive and get stuff done attitude you will excel here. AMICO has lots going on with new products and initiatives which will be great to watch take off.

Cons

There have been some business issues that were addressed, resolved and now we are driving toward a goal as a new company. It will not come without it's challenges; however, we tend to learn more in a changing environment.

The part of town we are located in is not the best.

The management team is learning how to move forward after lots of change to who we are.

If you don't like change this may not be for you.

Advice to Management

Rally the troops and let's move forward!

"A New Day has Dawned!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Alabama Metal Industries Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined the company in early 2016 and am seeing a transformation that is truly exciting! We are taking a whole new approach to how we service our customers. It's not just make and sell but an approach of how we can provide a full solution for our customers. We've constructed an outdoor "showroom" that showcases our latest perimeter security solution which has seen the likes of Homeland Security and one of the nation's largest utilities recently visit.

We have incredible employees and opportunities for everyone to spread their wings into other areas. Our benefits are second to none!

To quote one of our local leaders, "It's a great day at AMICO!"

Cons

We need to keep our eye on the prize and not get distracted!

Advice to Management

We need to keep engaging our employees to ensure best practices and innovations are surfaced. We have a great team who want to win! We can make it happen!!

4. "Terrible company"

Former Employee - Sales in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Sales in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Alabama Metal Industries Corporation full-time

Pros

People there are great to work with

Cons

Do not work here. Going downhill fast. Not worth the time to apply. Honestly. Don't believe a word your told about this company. False promises and horrible pay. Treat people horribly and micromanage

Hey Former Employee,

Sorry things did not work out for you a AMICO. We have been in a challenged market but I feel strongly that things are getting ready to take off!

5. "Decline"

I have been working at Alabama Metal Industries Corporation full-time

Pros

There are some great people to work with at AMICO. There have been many people that have made this a fun team experience.

Cons

The location is in a terrible part of town. Murders happen nearby. The management staff has unreasonable expectations about work and time commitments. If you don't work 12 hours per day, you're viewed as insufficient. It used to be a fun place to work - now there is no direction and the unreasonable expectations drive morale down. The opportunities for advancement have also come to a crawl - if not stop - as we have consolidated locations and closed product lines.

Hey anonymous employee,

So glad to hear you enjoy working with the people of AMICO. While I am disappointed to read your "cons" I am very encouraged that we have the right people in place to move... More

6. "Getting killed by the competition"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Alabama Metal Industries Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. Paid holidays. Laid back dress code and environment. Work is not micro managed too bad. Established customer base to sell.

Cons

Prices are high, business is down 50% over a two year period. 80/20 is turning away sales and they are laying off the majority of the work force due to a lack of sales....

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Having already cost 70% of the employees jobs at the company you are diligently working toward your own demise!

Hey Former Inside Sales Employee,

2016 was clearly a challenging year for us. We have turned the page and our new perimeter security solution is going to lead to a renaissance for AMICO!

7. "Used to be a Great Company"

Former Employee - Lead in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Lead in Orem, UT

I worked at Alabama Metal Industries Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benifits, 401 k match, I worked at the orem plant for 20 years, was a great company to start. Promoted from within.

Cons

Work life balance off. Not customer oriented. Corporate management is focused on bottom line not the customer or employees. Never know if you will have a job tomorrow. Lay offs and shutting down plants. Expect employees to do more for less. Very unstable. Went from two shifts to one. Running a skeleton crew. Can't guarantee 40 hours. Unreasonable expectations and goals for workers.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Focus on the customers ,sales and employees. Work life balance. Promote from within, experience and knowledge of the industry is very valuable.

8. "Shipping"

Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving in Kankakee, IL
    Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving in Kankakee, IL

I worked at Alabama Metal Industries Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Multiple job duties and opportunities, active workforce

Cons

not too many opportunities to advance upward

Hey Former Shipping and Receiving employee,

Thanks for taking the time to give us your input. Sorry things did not work out for you at AMICO. Employee and career development is a focus area for... More

9. "Good Comlany"

Pros

Good people that know what they are doing.
    Good bonuses
    Great work environment

Cons

You stay on with the temp service much longer than you should have to.

Hey anonymous current employee,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Since your post we have significantly changed our approach to how long an employees works for our "temp service... More

10. "Horrible place to work"

I have been working at Alabama Metal Industries Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Medical benefits are comparable to most other companies. Typical package for vision benefits. Dental coverage is ok. Nothing to rave about.

Cons

Horrible hours and unrealistic expectations. Tons of projects that are obviously "dreams" but management insists on continuous presentations that take enormous amounts of time in an already running over schedule. Tons of bureaucracy. Horrible neighborhood with long hours expected. Won't hire for vacant positions... to just increase workload on all.

Advice to Management

Realize that there should be some sort of work/like balance. Hire for open positions quickly. Stop the endless impossible "dream" projects that take too much time. Get to know and understand the business.