Alameda County Social Services Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alameda County Social Services Director Lori A. Cox
Lori A. Cox

1. "Human Resource Manager"

Current Employee - Human Resource Manager in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resource Manager in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Alameda County Social Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff, work schedule and environment.

Cons

limited funding and contract based.

Advice to Management

Be a role model to others; guide by action and not just words.

2. "Eligibility Service Technician"

Former Employee - Eligibility Service Tech in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Eligibility Service Tech in Oakland, CA

Pros

Great retirement benefits. Perfect for lazy people once you get tenure.

Cons

Micro management. I understand the reason for micro management is because there are tons of lazy people with tenure who do nothing but watching youtube videos at work. For those who do not have tenure, that's not fair. For example, I needed to send an email to my supervisor when I stepped away to bathroom.

For those who have a college degree, they usually take this job as a stepping stone to other departments.

Don't expect supervisors can help when you have questions. A lot of supervisors were behind with policies and technology. Because of that, some supervisors always have the doors closed or tell you they are busy on something else.

Last Christmas, there were a few people who failed the training class and were asked to leave. The trainer had the sheriff to escort those who failed the test to walk out. That was happened on the day before Christmas. Very cruel.

If you want to apply for EST, I would recommend you to go to San Pablo Ave County office during break time (around 10 or 10:15am). You will see what EST looks like, then you will have an idea what kinds of people you will work with. When I first arrived at County, I saw a worker wearing a skirt and sitting in the garden with the legs wide opened to smoke during break time.

Advice to Management

Outsourced some of the work to private companies such as the call center. When I was in college, I worked in a call center for a bank. They gave out incentives for each call you picked up. This encouraged people taking calls and reduced abandoned call rates.

"Social Services and its invisible ceiling for Eligibility Technicians"

Former Employee - Eligibility Technician III in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Eligibility Technician III in Hayward, CA

Pros

Great Benefits, Stable, there are great individuals that you meet

Cons

Stress levels are high, same routine daily for the most part, internal politics, management bases their decisions on what others think of an associate whether right or wrong, invisible glass ceiling, growth opportunities depends on who you know and not what you know, they frown on true leaders or individuals with the qualities of such that can possibly grow beyond or above them.

Advice to Management

Leave the politics alone and truly praise your employees for their talents. Allowing an individual to grow within a department or Organization should not be whether or not you like an employee personally, it should be based more on their skill set acquired through the time or their tenure in their current role, abilities, and overall strengths they have that will add value to a team or position. In my experience, there are very FEW managers that truly care about their employees success within, but rather care more about holding an individual or associate down or back from success. Although there are some great managers that are truly leaders, MANY are simply negative and create a "perception" of an individual just so that they cannot succeed. I would recommend for each one of those managers that manage, but do not lead, to re-evaluate what exactly is important to them as a Manager. A true Manager is one who leads, walks next to those they lead, works hand in hand towards a common goal, and one who empowers and develops their associates to become the best they can be! You have lost many great individuals that have extreme strengths that could have only made the department stronger and neutral. Wishing you luck in the future. Let's hope that the culture changes soon, and that Social Services can become less judgmental and truly give individuals the chances they deserve without the internal politics. It is who you know, and not what you know in Social Services.

5. "Very happy, I love my job."

Current Employee - Eligibility Support Clerk in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Eligibility Support Clerk in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Alameda County Social Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, positive people, friendly staff. Supervisors, Director, always willing to help and share great advice. Helping Community. Making a difference. You can tell and feel that most employees, supervisors, and management are there because of their hard work, and need to help others out.

Cons

Parking at most offices is horrible for employees. Process for employment is pretty long

6. "Good steady employment with variety"

Former Employee - Social Work Supervisor in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Social Work Supervisor in Oakland, CA

I worked at Alameda County Social Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many jobs available for promotion.

Cons

Promotions to higher levels political.

Advice to Management

Asians are poorly represented at Program Manager level and above.

"Unprofessional Company Culture"

Current Employee - Eligibility Tech II in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Eligibility Tech II in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Alameda County Social Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Medical benefits, deferred compensation plan, the ability to buy vacation time.

Cons

They have people in positions who are on a power trip. They get a little position and basically feel they can bully and target individuals who do not agree with them. The environment is one where individuals are discouraged for asking for help and sometime penalized. Also they are not there to help the clients they are there to see how many applicants they can deny as fast as possible.

Advice to Management

Instead of micro-managing the employee take a closer look at those in management positions micro-manage them to see if they are giving the employees what they need instead of making vacation plans and plans to go shopping.

"Hard work, hope you get a good supervisor!"

Current Employee - Child Welfare Worker II in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Child Welfare Worker II in Hayward, CA

Pros

Good initial training, but more on the job training needed.

Cons

Many social workers need updated training for current best practices. Very depressing office space.

9. "Flexible and supportive of continued education."

Current Employee - Clinical Case Worker in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Case Worker in San Leandro, CA

Pros

Security of employment and competitive benefits

Cons

Too political as it relates to working relationships with outside organizations. Instead of client focused support it became please the outside organization first then focus on the client.

Advice to Management

Ethnic diversity of management is necessary. Include a training succession program allowing more employees an opportunity to move up in management.

10. "Eligibity Service Tech"

I have been working at Alameda County Social Services full-time

Pros

Great benefits and retirement plan, able to contribute to community, tons of advacements

Cons

I'm really enjoying my work. So, none so far

11. "Eligibility services technician 3"

I have been working at Alameda County Social Services full-time

Pros

Good benefits, paid holidays, sick leave, vacations.

Cons

Management is clueless. Very "hood"