Alameda County Social Services Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Alameda County Social Services Director Lori A. Cox
Lori A. Cox

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "One of the best places to work..."

I have been working at Alameda County Social Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I’ve been working at the Alameda County Social Services Agency for almost 8 years now...I’ve moved up about 4 times and really enjoy what I’m doing. I’m currently at management level and what I appreciate the most is the motivation that your supervisors give you to move up as high as you can. I would totally recommend getting your foot in the door and aiming high. Also, the benefits are great.

Cons

So far, the only con I can think of is that the union contracts can sometimes be delayed when it expires (around every four years, I believe). It’s usually in limbo for about 4-6 months at times...but I know the union and our staff officials who help to negotiate things can get delayed in the negotiation process, so it’s forgivable. Once it does go through, it’s mainly with good news (hourly rate increases, improved benefits, etc.).

2. "Good Place to Work at"

I worked at Alameda County Social Services full-time

Pros

I like the structure, the help it gives to people

Cons

Upper management will not accept the work that is done by lower ranked employees

3. "Eligibity Service Tech"

I have been working at Alameda County Social Services full-time

Pros

Great benefits and retirement plan, able to contribute to community, tons of advacements

Cons

I'm really enjoying my work. So, none so far

"Eligibility services technician 3"

I have been working at Alameda County Social Services full-time

Pros

Good benefits, paid holidays, sick leave, vacations.

Cons

Management is clueless. Very "hood"

5. "Eligibility Service Technician"

Former Employee - Eligibility Service Tech in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Eligibility Service Tech in Oakland, CA

Pros

Great retirement benefits. Perfect for lazy people once you get tenure.

Cons

Micro management. I understand the reason for micro management is because there are tons of lazy people with tenure who do nothing but watching youtube videos at work. For those who do not have tenure, that's not fair. For example, I needed to send an email to my supervisor when I stepped away to bathroom.

For those who have a college degree, they usually take this job as a stepping stone to other departments.

Don't expect supervisors can help when you have questions. A lot of supervisors were behind with policies and technology. Because of that, some supervisors always have the doors closed or tell you they are busy on something else.

Last Christmas, there were a few people who failed the training class and were asked to leave. The trainer had the sheriff to escort those who failed the test to walk out. That was happened on the day before Christmas. Very cruel.

If you want to apply for EST, I would recommend you to go to San Pablo Ave County office during break time (around 10 or 10:15am). You will see what EST looks like, then you will have an idea what kinds of people you will work with. When I first arrived at County, I saw a worker wearing a skirt and sitting in the garden with the legs wide opened to smoke during break time.

Advice to Management

Outsourced some of the work to private companies such as the call center. When I was in college, I worked in a call center for a bank. They gave out incentives for each call you picked up. This encouraged people taking calls and reduced abandoned call rates.

6. "Great People"

I worked at Alameda County Social Services full-time

Pros

Started working doing clerical work and promoted within the department quickly. Many coworkers have been working at the office for a long time so many people have become close friends. If you're looking for a career with longevity this is a great place.

Cons

There are some workers who have been in the department for many years and can get stuck in their ways. There's constant changes going on with all the new policies so it can be a bit challenging trying to teach someone who is stubborn.

Advice to Management

Listen to all employees and not just management regarding feedback and criticism. Those who don't work in management have lots of ideas to improve not only efficiency but the morale of the department.

"Social Services and its invisible ceiling for Eligibility Technicians"

Former Employee - Eligibility Technician III in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Eligibility Technician III in Hayward, CA

Pros

Great Benefits, Stable, there are great individuals that you meet

Cons

Stress levels are high, same routine daily for the most part, internal politics, management bases their decisions on what others think of an associate whether right or wrong, invisible glass ceiling, growth opportunities depends on who you know and not what you know, they frown on true leaders or individuals with the qualities of such that can possibly grow beyond or above them.

Advice to Management

Leave the politics alone and truly praise your employees for their talents. Allowing an individual to grow within a department or Organization should not be whether or not you like an employee personally, it should be based more on their skill set acquired through the time or their tenure in their current role, abilities, and overall strengths they have that will add value to a team or position. In my experience, there are very FEW managers that truly care about their employees success within, but rather care more about holding an individual or associate down or back from success. Although there are some great managers that are truly leaders, MANY are simply negative and create a "perception" of an individual just so that they cannot succeed. I would recommend for each one of those managers that manage, but do not lead, to re-evaluate what exactly is important to them as a Manager. A true Manager is one who leads, walks next to those they lead, works hand in hand towards a common goal, and one who empowers and develops their associates to become the best they can be! You have lost many great individuals that have extreme strengths that could have only made the department stronger and neutral. Wishing you luck in the future. Let's hope that the culture changes soon, and that Social Services can become less judgmental and truly give individuals the chances they deserve without the internal politics. It is who you know, and not what you know in Social Services.

8. "Human Resource Manager"

Current Employee - Human Resource Manager in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resource Manager in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Alameda County Social Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff, work schedule and environment.

Cons

limited funding and contract based.

Advice to Management

Be a role model to others; guide by action and not just words.

9. "Very happy, I love my job."

Current Employee - Eligibility Support Clerk in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Eligibility Support Clerk in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Alameda County Social Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, positive people, friendly staff. Supervisors, Director, always willing to help and share great advice. Helping Community. Making a difference. You can tell and feel that most employees, supervisors, and management are there because of their hard work, and need to help others out.

Cons

Parking at most offices is horrible for employees. Process for employment is pretty long

"The upside"

Pros

Philosopy of the agency, outreach to a diverse community, great supervisor, opportunites and the clientele.
    Benefits of being in a county position

Cons

There is often a great deal of red tape to deal with and sometimes upper management doesn't really understand the issues and there is a great deal of generalization rather then specialization.