Alamo Drafthouse Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alamo Drafthouse Founder and CEO Tim League
Tim League

Pros
  • free shift meals and free movies (in 56 reviews)

• Fun place to work, flexible hours so I so that I can concentrate on school, working with movie geeks (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours with basically no breaks so this is a job that is fit for certain people who can handle that and not many people can (in 11 reviews)

• With the high turnover rate it can be hard to really grow as a team with other coworkers (in 6 reviews)

1. "N/a"

Current Employee - Concierge in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Concierge in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Alamo Drafthouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It would be fun working here once the building open up, so I can experience the everyday new challenges at work.

Cons

Busy days when A new Star Wars come out. But mostly interesting being able to experience nothing yet because they just build this building. Start training next week.

Advice to Management

N/a

2. "Bartender - GHF"

Former Employee - Bartender in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Bartender in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Alamo Drafthouse part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits
    Good crowd
    Consistent Traffic
    Good Hourly Rate @ 5/hr + Tips

Cons

Constant training videos and exams
    People get promoted based on appearance not on ability

Advice to Management

Get some managers that will stay more than a month. I worked there 2 years and saw 4 General Managers come and go and every manager had left that was there when I was hired.

3. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Concierge in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Concierge in Ashburn, VA

Pros

Fun place to work, flexible hours so I so that I can concentrate on school, working with movie geeks. Free movies. Discounted food. Sometimes we get advanced screenings.

Cons

Running food (bent over) while trying not to get noticed. Runners get paid about $4/hour + 3% of sales in food and beverages = about $12-14/hour on a good day. On a slow day however that is much less.

Advice to Management

Cool place to work as long as you love movies and serving people. Bad place to work if you don't like talking to others. Communication is key here and without it, you're in for a bad shift. They have always been flexible with me about my school hours and for taking time off.

If you're young and in shape running up and down the isles and steps at the theater hunched over won't be so bad for you. But if that sort of thing sounds like hell to you then I suggest you look elsewhere. Shifts usually range from 4-12 hours with a good chance of working a double if that's what you're in to.

5. "Server"

Former Employee - Server in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Server in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Alamo Drafthouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are a fan of movies,the mission and novelty food items.
    Shift usually goes by fast if it's busy and most often the co- workers are amazing to work with. Kitchen can be very hectic due the cramped area but that's understandable. The numbering system is albeit like an old system that is setup for the 1950's. You will definitely be in better shape physically due to the trek of stairs with trays over your shoulder.

Cons

No break at all in San Francisco and there should be an outside party watching this type of practice.
    Treat employees like a human being and not a robot that has to be lubed everyday.

Advice to Management

Have meetings often so everyone is on the same page. And there should be mandatory breaks!!!

6. "San Antonio Locations (Reel Dinner Partners) Review for Tim League"

Former Employee - Server in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Server in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Alamo Drafthouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being part of the Alamo Drafthouse Family/Culture, Discounts when off work, and working of Special Events/Functions. Tim League is an amazing man I have met before and he created something great.

Cons

Franchised opportunities for advancement are slim to none, lack of full immersion in Company Culture, and store management loyalty to a fault (brining back people who openly left the company or were underperforming to "be with friends")

Advice to Management

Embrace the Culture of the original Austin stores. Don't pass up workers that have been with company for a year or two for the happiest new hire. The brand gets workers that would like to invest more with the company, but aren't given opportunities to show it.

7. "Server"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Braunfels, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Braunfels, TX

I have been working at Alamo Drafthouse part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Work hours can be crazy

Advice to Management

Please, make good strategic and fair calls. A lot of the times I think explaining why something is being done helps fight resentment towards a lot of management.

8. "Great work teams"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Alamo Drafthouse part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Meals, Free movies, Good benefits

Cons

Job is during the late hours of the night.

9. "Overworked and underpaid"

Current Employee - Food Runner in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Food Runner in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at Alamo Drafthouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Can watch as many movies as you want.
    -50% meals while working.
    -12.50$ off meal when not working.
    -Free posters (if that's your thing).

Cons

-No breaks
    -Shifts are open ended so you never really know when you're getting off
    -Favoritism
    -NO BREAKS
    -being a runner means you get overworked, underpaid and treated like trash.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and stop having such a bad attitude all the time.

10. "Server/Food Runner"

Current Employee - Server in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Server in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at Alamo Drafthouse part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, mostly cool coworkers, free movies/discounts, awesome company to work for (especially if you love movies)

Cons

Worst Alamo location! Owners of this location are money hungry. The owners of this location (and some managers) don't care for movies or the Alamo "brand" and only care about making a quick buck. They also barely acknowledge or try to fix issues with management and other issues. Owners AND management have a lack of respect for employees. Managers act like 5 year olds and play favorites. Other employees end up making decisions/cuts since they refuse and barely leave the office. Long long long hours with no scheduled break, you eat when you can which is sometimes never! They treat employees like a machines and are surprised when your tired and over it. Expect to work all holidays and weekends (basically say goodbye to your life!) Honestly not worth the effort now that they went to tips being on paychecks.

Advice to Management

RESPECT YOUR EMPLOYEES!!! As a loyal and hardworking employee I have never received credit or praise for the work I do. Which is obnoxious when worse employees get better treatment. I worked here for almost 3 years and have yet to see any chance to move up or try something new. As someone who loves movies (the main reason I work here) you guys make it HELL to work here which sucks since I love the company.

11. "Wonderful Job"

Current Employee - Shift Lead in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Alamo Drafthouse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Between the friendly atmosphere to the wonderful staff and management I haven't worked at a better place period

Cons

Long days lead to hurt feed. Playing favorites doesn't retain staff

Advice to Management

Don't Play Favoritism