Alamo Rent A Car Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 28, 2017

Alamo Rent A Car President and CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson
Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good teamwork enviroment and the potential to make good money, specially in high seasons, where you could rack up lots oh hours (in 3 reviews)

• Tons of opportunity to learn customer service (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Shifts based on seniority, very little time for a life outside work (in 2 reviews)

• Unfortunately, that's just the way it works and that goes for any Car Rental Company (in 3 reviews)

1. "Worked as a return agent for thr summer season."

Former Contractor - Handheld Return Agent in Carolina, PR
    Former Contractor - Handheld Return Agent in Carolina, PR

I worked at Alamo Rent A Car as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good teamwork enviroment and the potential to make good money, specially in high seasons, where you could rack up lots oh hours.

Cons

Depending on the location and hour of the day, you could find youself in a understaffed for the ammount of clients coming in, making it difficult to adhere to company policy if "complete satisfaction" of the clients.

2. "Rental Sales Agent"

Current Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Alamo Rent A Car full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall is a great place to work, with great people. You feel a great sense of job stability. Times goes fast because you are always into something. The airport facility has a few key people that make your day special.

Cons

You are pretty much on your own. There's no sense of friendship and collaboration among the sales team. To the contrary, instead of teamwork, looks more like everybody wants to move you aside to get their own benefits. The best way to deal with is doing the best of you, by your own. Without expecting anything back.

3. "Its not a bad job"

Former Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Orlando, FL

I worked at Alamo Rent A Car (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, non physical, work alone often. I enjoyed meeting many different people. Was a fun job

Cons

Cars are constantly not available for reservations set by customer. Management makes a big deal about getting cars sent to you.

Advice to Management

Better training plans.

4. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Alamo Rent A Car (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun enviornment, meet all types of people

Cons

Sales goals, shifts change often

Advice to Management

great wook. keep it up

5. "Great First Full Time Job"

Current Employee - Exit Booth Agent in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Exit Booth Agent in Portland, OR

I have been working at Alamo Rent A Car full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incentives, meet people from all over the world, union, employee discount on rentals, good discounts on shopping/travel.

Cons

Hardly get breaks, hardly any communication, hard to sell extras, pay is low, no promotion.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees, we want to know what is going on, listen to us and follow up on concerns. Check in on your employees often (not just the rental agents).

6. "Better than most"

Current Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Alamo Rent A Car full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great potential to make money,

Cons

seniority on schedules, HR plays favorites and makes excuses for people who need certain schedules but have no seniority, very politically charged. My location is always shortening vehicles.

Advice to Management

Customer service doesn't mean you have to give everything way for free (like taking a sales agent upgrade off a contract and doing it for free) it means making the customer find value in your service. FLL location lacks management with this leadership skill.

7. "Good place to work when your first learning about sales"

I have been working at Alamo Rent A Car full-time

Pros

Its nice to come to work everyday and meet new people from all over the world. You do commission so that's always a plus. Out of all the Car Rental Companies Alamo, Enterprise, and National (which are all owned by Enterprise Holdings) are the most customer service based which I love.

Cons

There is a quota you have to reach every month and If you don't reach your quota every month and continue not to do so they will let you go. If you ever wonder why sometimes agents can be a little pushy with you that's why. Unfortunately, that's just the way it works and that goes for any Car Rental Company.

Advice to Management

I wish management would not make the quota so high to a point where the employee is worried about loosing there job. Some more Job Security would be much appreciated.

Apr 7, 2016 – Employer Brand Senior Specialist

This is great feedback; thanks for taking the time to leave your review. We appreciate your focus on customer service, and all you do every single day to make sure our customers are extremely... More

8. "Good place for seasonal work"

Pros

Great team and met a lot of interesting people.

Cons

Always ran out of cars. Had to give customers that wanted compact car a 16 passenger van.

Jan 6, 2016 – Director: Employment Brand

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience with Alamo! We're glad you enjoyed the great team atmosphere that we pride ourselves on.

"Great Company that needs improvements"

Former Employee - Administrative in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Administrative in Miami, FL

I worked at Alamo Rent A Car full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rental Car Discounts
    You can drive rental cars being under 25 without underage fees
    40+ hrs a week
    You do a good job you can be there for a long time

Cons

Parking Lot is separated from Rental Car Building, Shuttles that transport employees are not good
    Sometimes this makes you late or you have to wait a while to get back to your car when your day is over. Once you are in a position is very difficult to move up.

Advice to Management

Before Hiring many employees for a position take more consideration of the employees that have been there a while. When there's nothing that can be done about the hourly pay, job perks motivate.

Jan 6, 2016 – Director: Employment Brand

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience with Alamo. We appreciate the hard work you put in during your time with us. Good luck in your future endeavors!

10. "Exit Booth"

Former Employee - Exit Booth
    Former Employee - Exit Booth

I worked at Alamo Rent A Car full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours were flexible, great environment, new things to learn. I enjoyed learning how to use the program called Odyssey. The employees were very supportive.

Cons

The equipment to do my job wasn't reliable. On a Saturday night, the computer stops working and that can effect my work performance. That slows up my line at the exit booth and that's not good.

Advice to Management

Provide real time feedback to allow employees know how they are performing. Allow them to work in other departments like National or Enterprise.