Alan Plummer Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alan Tucker, PE

1. "Alan Plummer Associates Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Alan Plummer Associates (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good leadership, professional employees, very knowledgeable

Cons

Communication can be slow at times

2. "HR Intern"

Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Alan Plummer Associates (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. This internship has really allowed me to get the experience I was looking for in the Human Resources department.

Cons

Nothing actually comes to mind for cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Quality Firm"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Alan Plummer Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Lots of highly knowledgeable and easy going people
    -Lots of opportunity for young employees to cross-train
    -Multiple management pathways
    -Good work/life balance
    -Management genuinely cares for employees and assists with your career
    -Company pays health insurance for employee
    -Has become more open with financials/strategic planning in past several years

Cons

-Health insurance expensive for family members

Nothing else significant to report.

Advice to Management

Mostly keep doing what you've been doing. Perhaps try a bit harder to hold onto mid-level talent.

5. "Best firm to work for in the A/E industry!"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Alan Plummer Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and God fearing leadership make this a great firm to work for! I appreciate the open door policy across the firm and the fact that APAI supports mission trips, family time, and professional development. Staff are hard working and committed!

Cons

Communication between teams and leadership to staff is lacking. APAI is working on getting policies and procedures up to the date to be reflective of the 21st century. As we grow, I see the firm losing its Christ-centered culture.

Advice to Management

Utilize staff where their strongest skillset is and be open to new ideas. Communicate more often and more effectively.

Sep 25, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, we are having some growing pains due to the fact that our organizational growth has gone from a sole proprietor structure to a company owned by a broad-based group ... More

6. "Great people, great culture"

Current Employee - EIT in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - EIT in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Alan Plummer Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

APAI has a family-oriented culture and provides employees with the flexibility to balance their professional lives and family lives without sacrificing either. They don't run employees into the ground with long hours, and working over 40-45 hours per week is a unusual. They also have a good health and wellness program for employees and their families.

APAI invests in young professionals through substantial continuing education support. They also hold monthly professional development lunch meetings among EITs and top management for mentoring. In general, people at APAI are always willing to help and teach each other, which is particularly beneficial as a young professional.

APAI is also establishing greater transparency with employees at all levels through quarterly company-wide lunch meetings in which the CEO addresses company financial performance, introduces new employees, and recognizes exceptional employee contributions. Most importantly, during these meetings the CEO also responds to any employee questions (which can be asked in person or submitted anonymously online beforehand).

Cons

There are no cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Remember that your biggest asset is your people. Keep investing in them and valuing them.

"Good people, not much growth potential"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Alan Plummer Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people...personable...nice...good place for fresh college grads.

Cons

Not much growth salary-wise...will stand in quicksand while they work you to the bone and milk all your efforts. Good place to gain 2-3 years experience then bolt for a higher salary. i.e....work there and get your PE, then get a project manager position at a larger firm or go govt route...you'll make 50k plus more than there AND do less work...

One thing I do gotta mention...they parade under the banner of saying the company is founded on Psalm 1 from the Bible. I think that they try and ride that too much and state their "higher morals." I didnt notice a difference from other employers that were "heathens."

They aspire for great things, but cant quite get over the hump from small company to a truly great one. If you want a small niche in water/wastewater treatment with a few good friends...not worried about salary growth, take a chance...If you're career driven and want a family life, take my advice above.

Advice to Management

Expand outside of Fort Worth. Management is a little biased toward only looking for recruits in that area. There is a Dallas office, but not really developed.

Aug 19, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for the advice to management. We have expanded outside of Fort Worth and have active branch offices in Austin, Dallas, Houston, and Oklahoma City. Additionally, our goal is to provide ... More

"Not the Best...Keep Looking Elsewhere"

Former Employee - Environmental Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Environmental Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Alan Plummer Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people...willing to train fresh college grads. There is good opportunity to do a lot of design work, I mean work-like-a-dog-type-work...not bad for a starting career.

Cons

There is zero opportunity to grow. The people are nice, but there seems to be a clique of people in management who only allow a select few to get promotions. I was prepared to work here for my entire career, until I learned that there was no growth in my salary. As a fresh college grad, my first salary was nice, but I didn't realize that the small increase each year were very tiny in comparison to other companies. They start at a nice entry level salary, but it flat-lines from there on. They work EIT's like dogs too. It is nice when a fresh grad needs work and wants to learn, but there needs to be a plan in place to transition young people up the ladder instead of showing favoritism to a select few.

I also noticed people being hired to just complete projects and then be let go...not good! They parade under the banner of a Christian organization, but I did not see that. Nice people, but inconsistent.

I suggest this place to fresh college grads and then once you get a few years experience, move on and make salary a focus.

Advice to Management

Do market research on salaries and try and be competitive with the industry. Give students an opportunity to move up the ladder and become managers.

Aug 19, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for the advice to management. Our goal is to provide significant Employee Development opportunities while providing industry-competitive Total Compensation.

9. "EIT"

Former Employee - EIT in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - EIT in Dallas, TX

I worked at Alan Plummer Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best work team and work environment, excellent leadership, compensation exceeded my expectations, work-life balance was very important for the company. APAI also invested on wellness and health programs to encourage good physical and mental health for all employees. I had an excellent health insurance. I loved working there and I was extremely sad when I had to leave. I left because personal reasons.

Cons

I can't really think something that was bad at all.

Advice to Management

More educational workshops to help even more younger engineer succeed.

"One of the Best Water Engineering Companies in Texas"

I have been working at Alan Plummer Associates full-time

Pros

APAI is the perfect compromise between the large and small engineering companies. On the one hand, APAI wins some very exciting, high-profile projects that many small engineering companies cannot win. At the same time, APAI has a firm foundation and reputation within the industry and does not work their employees to death. Sure, hard-work is very much appreciated and rewarded, but there is normally no expectation that professionals work more than 40 to 45 hours per week. The culture is very family oriented, friendly, and kind. They are highly invested in young professionals and are very generous with continuing education opportunities (graduate school, conferences, seminars, lunch and learns, etc.). APAI is definitely are rarity in the Texas engineering industry.

Cons

No complaints about the company itself. Sometimes the office is a little too quiet. We need some energetic professionals to add some more liveliness to the office. Also, the office environment and amenities are a bit lacking. The decorations and break-room are a bit drab, and there are no on-site fitness facilities. The healthcare premiums for families (i.e. a spouse and at least 1 child) with a single income are a bit difficult to shoulder.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, but invest in a more energetic and contemporary office environment. Keep focusing on your young professionals. A few extra office amenities wouldn't hurt. Reduce health care premiums for families.

"EIT"

I have been working at Alan Plummer Associates full-time

Pros

Quality Co-workers and Working Env.

Cons

Traditional seniority to position culture much like other ACEC firms.