Alarm.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 1, 2017

5.0
Steve Trundle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Progressive company that offers a great work/life balance, positive work environment, and opportunity to grow (in 11 reviews)

• Work/Life balance and Pros/Cons depends on the team you join in (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Some growing pains but this also means there's plenty of opportunities to grow (in 7 reviews)

• This in all fairness is probably because we are a growing company (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Alarm.com as an intern

Pros

culture, amazing office, talented engineers, impactful/interesting projects

Cons

It's really up to you to maintain a good work/life balance.

"Great company"

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time

Pros

Amazing culture, growing fast so there is a lot of opportunity.

Cons

Growing fast so there are some things that get lost as everyone is in gogo mode.

"Great Company, Not for Me"

Former Employee - Management Development Associate in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at Alarm.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company has a very positive environment with great benefits. The company hires a lot of young employees with energy and excitement for pushing themselves forward. Management was kind and helpful. The company likes doing little benefits like food and drinks on Fridays which are a bonus.

Cons

The direction of the company was messy, so a lot of little projects and things fell through the cracks, often forcing relying on self-discipline to motivates oneself. There isn't much excitement for the product line itself, so don't work here if being passionate about end-product matters to your fulfillment. There is little of that to be found here.

4. "Fantastic Company"

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time

Pros

They really care about their employees - not only through things like providing full benefits coverage, but through annual company trips and monthly birthday celebrations or trivia nights for employees. It's a company culture that you can feel throughout every department, from engineering to supply chain to sales. I feel fortunate to have found this company

Cons

No real cons of the company

"Great culture and opportunities!"

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time

Pros

Alarm.com is growing quickly-- it's a great opportunity to get your foot in the door with a local tech company that is evolving quickly and offers a lot of room for growth.

Cons

Work is very fast-paced and can change priorities quickly but this is very typical of a tech environment.

6. "LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS COMPANY"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Know how to work hard, but also have a good time
    - Interested in your career growth and development
    - Flexible schedules
    - Green room and rustic staircase at HQ

Cons

- Traffic to get to Tysons

"Positive Work Environment With Room for Growth"

Current Employee - Support Operations Associate in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Support Operations Associate in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management treats you like an intelligent human being. I have yet to experience being talked down to. You are recognized for putting in the work and there is a lot of room for advancement, not just in position, but in knowledge. I've learned so much since I've started here less than a year ago, that I now feel comfortable helping my own team members on some pretty difficult situations. I have been given added responsibility, raises, bonuses, and I haven't even hit the one year mark. This is the place to come to if you are willing to put in the work and want to advance, but it is also the place to come to if you just want to do your job well and go home without any added responsibilities. Please don't join this team if you plan on doing the bare minimum, it will be noticed, and your team members will not appreciate it.

The team environment is the best I've ever worked in. I have never had a bad day when it comes to coworkers and this is me coming from a job where I was sad and frustrated every day. Here people pull you up. You look sad and they want to make you smile. They will do everything they can to help you have a good day.

Cons

Though there are positions for advancement, most stop at just a step up. The selection process for their positions could be improved in that they could make decisions a bit quicker as the process can last months without any updates. At times their selections do slightly feel like favoritism, but those that are favorites aren't because they are best friends with management, but because of the hard work they do. Which is a change of what I've seen at other companies. However if you have an inkling of who is applying you can pretty much tell who will get a new position before its finalized. So work hard and make sure you are remembered.

Advice to Management

Add diversity to the upper management.

"Amazing company, big opportunity to make an impact"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time

Pros

I have a strong opportunity to develop myself here and make an impact, it's not a micro-managed environment but one where you can truly influence and grow your capabilities. They expect you to self manage and lead versus waiting to be told what to do but at the same time, you have mentors and open communication. 1000% times better than anywhere else I've worked. Our office is incredible with an indoor greenhouse room with plants and special air quality and lighting and music. Not making this up! It's the most relaxing place and I come to the office on the weekends sometimes to use this room.

Cons

None for me. Some people may need more structure but if you are creative and ambitious and like to get stuff done, you will love it here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing our annual company weekend off-site trip. It's a unique aspect of our culture that bonds everyone and helps to keep employees informed. And it's fun! Thanks for doing it!

9. "Contract Process Review"

Current Contractor - Operations Support
    Current Contractor - Operations Support

I have been working at Alarm.com as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The contract hire process was very smooth and efficient. The company has a great culture of both hard work and fun. This really is a great place to work where all employees are appreciated.

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of.

"Best Place I Have Ever Worked!"

Current Employee - Team Lead Support Operations in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Team Lead Support Operations in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Best Team I have ever worked with including managers, peers, and employees in general. Everyone one is motivated to work at a high level day in and and day out. Everyone is looking out for each other and has your best interest in mind.

- Great challenges everyday that keep you constantly learning and growing. I have learned more in this role than all my previous roles combined I would say.

- Top workplace for a reason, culture is like no other position I worked before, incredibly collaborative, interesting, fun, and challenging.

- Being a Leader, I know I have influence on many decisions that go towards the overall goals of the company.

- Growing company which means you have opportunities that may not even be currently there right now, but you have the ability to pave your way if you work hard enough.

- No matter who you are your idea is listened to.

- Let's not forget about the sweet technology we get to use on a daily basis.

Cons

I honestly don't have anything to say poorly about Alarm.com. I have been here almost 2 years and have enjoyed my job everyday no matter how much I had on my plate.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to everyone and anyone to stay fresh and keep doing what you are doing. Great job!