Cover image for Alarm.com

75% Recommend to a Friend
87% Approve of CEO

Found 298 of over 346 reviews

4.0
Alarm.com President and CEO  Steve Trundle (no image)
Steve Trundle

70 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Alarm.com and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome!

Nov 13, 2022 - Receptionist/Administrative Assistant in Alberta, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

An awesome place to work

Cons

A mixed bag of employee attitudes

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Like Your First Car

Nov 8, 2022 - Product Management
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are incredibly intelligent and great to work with. It’s overall got a startup vibe and there’s plenty of opportunities to get your feet wet with multiple and various projects. I really liked seeing sick days become wellness days and the retroactive paternity leave.

Cons

Compensation is overall low and there’s not much room for growth. Middle managers don’t actually manage you to grow, they manage their work and yours and don’t have the time for anything else. Work/life balance depends on how often and assertive you can set boundaries and manage up. This job is like your first car. Use it to learn to drive. Once you know how, get a better one.

3 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Alarm.com team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to coast and not much else

Oct 21, 2022 -  in Tysons Corner, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

As others have said, *generally* the worklife balance is good. People also tend to be very friendly and if you value socialization with your coworkers there are a lot of opportunities to get that here outside of work.

Cons

Your career progression is going to be almost 100% determined by how long you've been here. As stated by others, compensation is already low compared to other opportunities in the area. If you've got the misfortune of being on a more demanding team/project, you'll enjoy the misfortune of an Amazon like work life balance while bringing home half as much. You won't be compensated any better. It won't contribute to you being promoted faster. My advice in these cases is to ignore the additional asks, push back, it gets done when it gets done.

4 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Unparalelled Management

Oct 11, 2022 - Supply Chain Planner in McLean, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Alarm was an absolute pleasure to work for and it all boils down to management. The supply chain team's managers demonstrated trust and confidence in their employees. They advocated for us, helped us when needed, and would always find the time to make sure we were able to meet our professional and personal goals. More broadly, the company was responsive to suggestions for improvement and really went out of its way to make sure everyone had a voice. I honestly don't care much about home electronics, but the genuine team culture at Alarm made me care about doing a good job.

Cons

Operationally the company stands to improve. The departments are siloed, making it challenging to ensure communications are reaching the correct stakeholders. Additionally, until recently there has been zero focus on sustainability.

6. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good place to start, bad place to stay

Jul 12, 2022 - Software Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Fantastic WLB, hard deadlines are extremely rare - People are pleasant and easy to work with - Good place for a first job. The company is good at onboarding fresh graduates and the pay for a new grad is competitive - Office has a cool / fun design - Products are pretty cool with home automation devices - Business model is stable - Job security is very high

Cons

- Execs are forcing return to office (RTO). Mandatory 3 days/week. Talent is leaving rapidly due to this. - Engineering can't hold on to senior employees due to compensation and RTO - Compensation becomes extremely uncompetitive after you reach mid level - Technologies used are often outdated and/or niche. I don't know any serious tech company that uses Ember.js as their primary frontend - No real incentive to work hard or pursue upward trajectory. Promotions seem to be mostly based on seniority. You'll get a better return on your effort by studying for interviews and leaving rather than working for a promo

14 people found this review helpful
  7. 4.0
    Current Employee

All about the people

Nov 5, 2022 - Content Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you love the people, you’ll love your work!

Cons

Not fully remote - hybrid environment

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great first job

Nov 4, 2022 - Product Manager II in McLean, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company culture in a major tech hubs.

Cons

Certain teams carry the company while others coast.

9. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to start...

Jul 12, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Alarm is a great place to start your career, and build experience. I made several lifetime friends working there. -Medical being 100% covered for the employee is great -Flat org means not a lot of middle management to get in the way, decisions can be made quickly in relation to other companies of this size

Cons

-Mid/senior career salaries are well below average -Former microstrategy in all leadership. If you get a new person on your team that is from microstrategy, they will most likely get promoted ahead of you. -Flat org also means not a whole lot of room to grow in your career -Forcing people to come back to the office 3 days a week even though productivity didnt suffer.

6 people found this review helpful
  10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good place to start your journey

Oct 28, 2022 - Information Technology
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great atmosphere. Friendly people. Smart people.

Cons

Smaller company. Too siloed at times. Lower pay than other companies.

11. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good worklife balance

Oct 24, 2022 - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work Life balance good benefits good work growth

Cons

dont expect ambitious work salary

Viewing 1 - 10 of 298 Reviews
</>Embed

Alarm.com Reviews FAQs

Alarm.com has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 346 reviews left anonymously by employees. 75% of employees would recommend working at Alarm.com to a friend and 74% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Alarm.com employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Alarm.com. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

75% of Alarm.com employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Alarm.com 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.3 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Alarm.com to be benefits, career development, culture and the cons to be management, compensation.

Popular Careers with Alarm.com Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Alarm.com? Share Your Experiences

Affiliated Companies

Alarm.com Careers

Cover image for Alarm.com

Our technology powers the connected home and business. WE INVENT AND INNOVATE Our platform and solutions are at the center of four...More

• About Us
  • Our Values
  • Our Employees

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

558 days ago

Employee Story
As a Senior Program Manager for Alarm.com, Albert Lin helps the Device Engineering team stay aligned with company objectives and makes sure his team members have access to the resources they need to be successful. Albert enjoys the genuine camaraderie on his team, saying, “It’s incredibly cool to see teammates step up and provide an assist that can go a long way to making someone else’s day. I appreciate everyone’s willingness to help each other out.” Alarm.com gives Albert and his team the chance to regularly try new things. According to Albert, “The work that our engineering team tackles, naturally involves some level of experimentation—much of what we do hasn’t been done before—so trying out new ideas is just part of our process!” Want to join Albert at Alarm.com? Learn more at alarm.com/careers.
Shared image - Alarm.com on LinkedIn: As a Senior Program Manager for Alarm.com, Albert Lin helps the Device
www.linkedin.com

558 days ago

Employee Story
"Alarm.com is a place where you can grow professionally and personally; I have never had that before,” says Alexander Rasmussen, Support Operations team lead at Alarm.com. Alex manages nine Support Operation Associates, and his team is responsible for getting critical tools and resources in the hands of Alarm.com employees. In addition to his day-to-day operational duties, Alex also assists in the new hire onboarding process, which is one of his favorite responsibilities. Alex recently celebrated his two-year anniversary at Alarm.com, and he says, “I have found a home at Alarm.com. It’s a place where I can use my strengths to the max and where I get all the support I need to work on new opportunities.” Want to work with Alex? Learn more at alarm.com/careers.
Shared image - Alarm.com on LinkedIn: #hiring #techjobs
Alarm.com on LinkedIn: #hiring #techjobs
www.linkedin.com

Alarm.com Photos

+ Add Photo
Alarm.com photo of: Interns doing their presentations at our 2019 Intern Demo.
Alarm.com photo of: Say hello to our team of engineers at the 2019 Device Engineering Expo!
Alarm.com photo of: Alarm.com engineers showcasing their creativity at the 2019 Device Engineering Expo! 🤖
Alarm.com photo of: Celebrating all our Women in Tech at Alarm.com for Women In Tech Week 2019.
Alarm.com photo of: Nothing shows your employees more love than some cookies. 🍪😋
Alarm.com photo of: Alarm.com 2019 Olympics!
Alarm.com photo of: Alarm.com staff at Round Up 2019!

Expert Career Advice

MicroStrategy

2.9

1,193 Reviews
Compare

Glassdoor has 346 Alarm.com reviews submitted anonymously by Alarm.com employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Alarm.com is right for you.