Alarm.com "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Alarm.com Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Oct 15, 2019

4.2
Alarm.com President and CEO  Steve Trundle (no image)
Steve Trundle
Pros
  • "Everyone is very intelligent and supportive, which provides for a great work environment(in 15 reviews)

• "The run-ins I've had with senior management have been very enjoyable experiences and there is a true work/life balance here(in 12 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Growing company with a unique, thriving culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Alarm.com is located in a great location and is on a rapid growth projectory. The culture is extremely dynamic and so much more employee centric than I'm accustomed to. Not only does the innovation of the product continue to excite me and keep me motivated, the people are incredibly passionate, humble, and intelligent. I love that I can walk into my VP's and manager's office and be very candid about my goals, current inititiatives, and provide solutions to team obstacles. Its really incredible to feel like your voice is heard and your team is working toward a common goal. Although the pace is fast, I've developed myself so much and have been provided incredible opportunities that it's made the hard work worth it. The office space is catered toward employee wellness and productivity, its easy to love being in the office. The culture is very flexible on working from home if needed and flexible hours. The gray area of the culture is probably why people enjoy working here. You have the power and ability to create new processes, programs, and drive initiatives that may not be given attention to leaving a lot of area for opportunity and growth!

Cons

The pace can be very fast, but the establishment of work life balance is really controlled by you. While I don't think this a con per se, some may not understand that working for a rapidly growing company is a good thing even if it can feel overwhelming at times. The company gives you the opportunites to and understands the need to take care of yourself, so I've learned to give it my all, but never forget my personal goals outside of work.

Alarm.com2019-01-07
  2. "It's a great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

welcoming environment with supportive co-workers. good work/life balance.

Cons

some of the technology can be outdated. communication between management and engineer are somewhat muddled.

Alarm.com2019-10-15

"Wonderful Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been with Alarm.com for a short time and have been extremely impressed with the way this organization truly sets their employees up for success. Coming form a sub-par environment with my past employer Alarm.com has more than surpassed my expectations when it comes to onboarding, training and really investing in their employees. The common areas in the office at headquarters are beautiful, everyone greets you with a smiling face and is willing to help if needed. The CORE office in Bloomington, MN has an amazing team oriented environment where everyone works so hard to provide the absolute best customer service to our partners. Alarm.com has a competitive pay structure with a top of the line benefits program. The run-ins I've had with senior management have been very enjoyable experiences and there is a true work/life balance here. I have had nothing but good experiences in all areas within the last few weeks and couldn't be more excited to continue my journey at Alarm.com.

Cons

In my first few weeks I haven't experienced any cons.

Alarm.com2018-11-09
  4. "Great work life balance company"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Alarm.com

Pros

Amazing work life balance, very casual and fun culture, low stress

Cons

Pay isn't as great as it could be elsewhere.

Alarm.com2018-08-13

"Device Engineering"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work/Life balance is there, but you have to take ownership of it. Collaboration across groups is starting to pick up. Ability to innovate and bring new ideas to the table no matter your current position. Great culture and events.

Cons

Pay can be a little low, but made up with bonuses. Career Path and Opportunities are hard to discern.

Alarm.com2018-07-26
  6. "Quality Engineer"

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time

Pros

- One of the best places to work. Generally everyone is friendly. QE/SE/PM relationships is better than other companies. - Work life balance is great. You just do what you are capable of and no one grinds you to work more. Might be easy to slack off, but this will affect your promotion and raise. - Lot of opportunities and clear career/promotion path. - Great looking office and amenities. - Flexible schedule. Varies by managers, but most managers have no issues with working whenever you want as long as you do your job properly.

Cons

- Base pay is below average by 10-15%. However, there is an annual stock compensation for SOME employees who perform well and that makes up for it. Amount varies and this is not for everyone. - Horrible traffic but you can avoid by shifting your work schedule

Alarm.com2018-06-12

"Great Work Enviroment"

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time

Pros

-good work life balance -fun work environment -casual dress environment -supportive management -good office amenities -metro accessible

Cons

glassdoor requires five words minimum for this section :)

Alarm.com2018-05-17

"Career Mistake - Alarm.com."

I worked at Alarm.com full-time

Pros

* Nice looking office, and amenities within the office * Social events in the office/happy hours

Cons

* Not much flexibility as far as work hours go (felt looked down on for leaving work early due to childcare responsibilities) * Didn't feel a sense of work life balance - emails/chats at all hours of the night, even on things that were not urgent and could have waited till the next day. * No team collaboration - everything was all driven from the top down, and there was no room for improvement from other people on the team. * Poor communication from management * Lack of confidentiality on teams * Not allowed to work from home pretty much ever, and if you had to, you would feel guilty. * Pay was not at all competitive compared to the market (one of the reasons I left) * All decisions that were made were based on favoritism, not based on the work others were doing. * Old school processes in place that needed updated, but no one wanted to do anything different because "that was the way it was always done."

Alarm.com2018-02-13
  9. "Great place to work"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Alarm.com

Pros

culture, amazing office, talented engineers, impactful/interesting projects

Cons

It's really up to you to maintain a good work/life balance.

Alarm.com2017-09-01

"Software Engineer Review"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at Alarm.com full-time

Pros

This is a great first job. You will learn a lot about real-world software engineering (all the stuff your CS degree didn't teach you). - The culture is very unique and laid back. People here are also very friendly towards each other. - Nobody will micromanage you or force you to work a certain way - The work/life balance is great. If you are good at your job, you will rarely stay at work more than 45 hours per week. - Flexible hours: you have to be available after new code is deployed (in case you need to fix bugs), but that's about it

Cons

- There is a lot of bureaucracy. It it starting to feel like a megacorporation. - The release system is archaic and overly complex. There is no CD pipeline. This makes our jobs as engineers unnecessarily difficult. - Too much toil - there is a lot of repetitive, manual work required to complete day-to-day tasks. For example, most software changes are manually tested. - Compensation is not competitive (see below for explanation) - I am doubtful that this company can compete with the tech giants (like Google) who are building smart home products

Alarm.com2017-04-14

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 16 Reviews